Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
steveooo

No Bad Days

If you have been fortunate enough to be out on the water recently, you know that mother-nature has been putting on a show with both the Sunrises and Sunsets, and killer conditions.

I was fortunate enough to spend a little time on and near the water recently, which was a welcome break from a hectic few months at work.

Last week I went to Dana with the king of the OC, Rossman. We were treated to a nice sunrise on our way up to North Salt Creek.

Ross was putting on a clinic, and already had 3 sandbass before I even got a bite. When I finally got my bite, it was the bite I was looking for though. Big heavy headshakes, the fish would pull drag at will, and it was HEAVY! After having the fish on for about 30 seconds, Pop! The line went slack. What a heartbreak! To add insult to injury, it was my faulty rigging of the trap rig that had failed. Doh!

After that misfortune, we covered about every square inch of Dana Point on our way back to the harbor, and even fished a bit at Doho for not much else. Only highlight for me was a sculpin that was pretty cool looking. He could win an award for most handsome sculpin of the year

Over the weekend we were invited to stay with some friends at the camp Pendleton Cabins & Campground. This was the view from their cabin as we enjoyed a few beers while watching the sunset. No Photoshop required.

They had the cabin, and gave us the Beach camping site. No complaints on my end.

Here was the view from our tent in the morning.

I surf fished a little over the weekend, but didn’t get to get out as much as I would have liked. With the perfect weather, glassy water, and the birds diving just offshore, al I could think about was getting the yak on the water as soon as possible. Family obligations over the weekend kept me grounded though. That’s why it was a no brainer for me yesterday when I got the text from Andy “Doho Tomorrow?” Yup, That will work.

Met up with Andy at Baby’s Beach. We were treated to a killer sunrise, which made the extra paddle worth it.

Bait was pristine 5-7” sardines. Super healthy bait- I didn’t have a single on roll on me.

Super calm and lazy day. Even the birds couldn’t be bothered to look for bait.

I had a few raked baits, but not much else to show for the morning. I did get a small sand bass pretty early. I really dig their colors and pattern when you pull them right out of the weed beds.

I needed to get to work, so I left Andy on the water. He said the bite turned on after I left, and he got a legal halibut. Whatever. No Pics.

Ultimately there were no big fish landed for all the time I spent out there, but I wouldn’t trade days like these for anything Even the slow days on the water have a way of recharging the battery in a way that nothing else can, and they can really give you an appreciation that there is more to this sport than catching fish (although some fresh halibut sounds tasty right now).

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Really has been beautiful out there. Cool looking sculpin too
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Dave k

Awesome shots. Those are the kind of days where a lack of fish doesn't seem to matter.
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
jorluivil

X2 on the sunrise and sunsets. I dont think I've ever fished DP with water as flat as it is on the pics.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
Deamon

Gotta love SoCal. Your pics are always tops. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
walrus

What a great post. Between he description and the pictures I could almost feel the morning cool damp air in the tent. The awe of the sunset as you relaxed tired muscles in the evening.

Well done.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
blitzburgh

Great read thanks Steveooo
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Ahh I love kayak fish'n!

Thanks for the pictures and report steevo!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Great post Steveooo...and great pics...camping at Pendleton, a blast.

I was lucky enough to get out last Sunday, local since the surf was pumping...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
OEX Sunset Beach

Quote:
and he got a legal halibut. Whatever. No Pics.
chilly morning for my sandals, Mr Socks in the waders!

not big enough for the gaf, I should have just slid it on the clip as I was deciding to keep it or not, it decided it wanted to jump off the deck and back in the water. Bite for me went from next to nothing in the first 4 hours to every bait bit for the last hour. Amazing end of the day glass offs lately too, don't see those too often.
OEX Sunset Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
roby
CEO of Team Roby

I like kayak fishing in the Fall, even if the fish are not biting - which is most of the time for me.

Nice pics Steveoooooo...
roby is offline   Reply With Quote