Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
steveooo

Hobie Horizontal Rod Holder Kit

Here was a quick rainy day project. Nothing innovative here on my end. I just installed a couple sets of the Horizontal Rod Holder Kit from Hobie onto the yak. Actually I only installed half of the two kits- I used just the rod tip protector from each kit. 6 screws total, 5 minutes to finish. Try to hold back your enthusiasm.

There are a few kayaks on the market that have good rod storage (Hobie Pro Angler & OK Trident). The rest of the kayaks, mine included, are a bit tough to store rods in the surf zone. Hobie came up with this cool kit to horizontally store rods on basically any kayak. I want it for the surf zone, but I think it would be pretty handy for the bass guys that switch rods alot. While it is a Hobie accessory, it will also fit on other brands of yaks with no problems

Here are a few pics of the install.

One on each side. Barely noticeable.

Left

Right

The rod fits perfect in the space where your paddle lays.

Yes, it works fine with 2 rods on each. I could probably sneak in a 3rd if I really wanted. I don’t ever go out with more than 4 rods. 2 on each side, so I'm covered.

The kits actually come with a few more parts, that I would probably install if I were going to use this as a horizontal rod holder on the water. I like to keep the rigging minimal, so I'll keep them off for now.

Here is the stock photo:

I will only lay my rods down for the launches & landings on the days when the surf is really thumping, and there is a chance that all hell will break loose if I get tossed. The thought of snapping 4 custom wrapped rods in a bad roll has always made me a bit on edge, especially on days when it is pounding. I want to make sure the rods stay put if I get dunked in the surf zone. The best way I could think of was to cut down an old tie-down and strap the rod butts to the handle. I might re-think this, but for now it works. It is secure, and the rods won’t budge.

It took all of about 5 minutes to install, and it will give me a little peace of mind, and relieve some of the anxiety associated with landing on the big surf days, or the coming in on dark nights with the sneaker sets.

Andy at OEX Sunset Beach has these Horizontal Rod Holder Kits in stock. I’m pretty sure he can ship them, and I think he said he said he is going to give out a free kit to the first 5 people that call

Here is his number 562-592-0800

Steve

Last edited by steveooo; 11-18-2012 at 08:29 PM.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Andy at OEX Sunset Beach has these Horizontal Rod Holder Kits in stock. I’m pretty sure he can ship them, and I think he said he said he is going to give out a free kit to the first 5 people that call

Here is his number 562-592-0800
Ha! Don't be fooled by my phony polish accent when you call tomorrow..........and don't believe the "Andy is in Vegas"
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
ericko

Hey bus kid you better get on that now.... o ya you dont fish
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
lterrero
Leo

I like the rods
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Baja_Traveler

Leave it to Hobie to keep pushing the innovation for us fishermen
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
maui jim

How much for a set Andy??
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
YakMedic

I installed a set of these a couple months back on my Outback. They are awesome for those launches when you want your rods secure. They look much cleaner on the Adventure, on the Outback the rods follow a more drastic curve of the bow.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
Hey bus kid you better get on that now.... o ya you dont fish
No I just don't Tony in the surf zone and Jorge my rods.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
taggermike

That might be a good way to carry longer surface iron sticks. Keeping the rodright under your let hand would make "drawing your gun" fast w/o the turning around in the seat as you chase the birds. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #10
bmercury

Hobie rod leashes do not do anything if you actually flip in the surf. Nearly lost $2000 worth of rods and reels once. Luckily I grabbed them before they disappeared.

I never had any trouble of the longest time with staying past the breakers and timing it just right and jumping out in waist deep water and walking the kayak in. Then I had a bad near miss and not too long after that I flipped and had a minor yard sale, I think all I lost was a landing net- but it was real close to losing everything.

Just saying you still need to be careful even if you think you have timed it perfectly.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
tacmik

God how I love my Trident and that awesome rod pod.