Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
Chuck D

Side Scan

Considering going for a new Helix 7 Hummingbird sidescan. No experience at all with sidescan, but looks like a sweet option. Wondering if anyone currently uses this and if these hummingbird sidescan transducers fit in the hobie lowrance space as well? Any advice is much appreciated.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
TJones

898si

On my revo . I mounted transducer every which way possible . First I glued it in hull before I realized it had to be in water . Next I used the mad frog to get the tranducer in water , which was lame . It creates a lot of drag . So much so , that it is noticeable . Let alone the fact that it will get hung up on kelp or debris . The arm is not stable enough to support such a big transducer either. Lastly I hacked off the mounting tabs that look like ears , and I glued it to bottom of yak . Which made transporting a little delicate . Forget about dragging it on rocks . The unit is incredible , but I got tired of the headaches associated with the mounting and sold it . The helix obviously supercedes the 898 and is probably that much better . I am pretty sure it still uses the same transducer and in my opinion it will not fit in lowrance ready bay . This unit will give the lowrance lss2 a run for money , but these transducers are really made for boats . Unless you get a little creative and are putting it on back of pro angler , I would stay away from it . Scotty makes a arm that mounts to back bar of pro angler that will deploy the transducer . It could probably be modified to accomidate the hummingbird . Any other kayak I wouldn't even bother with . Keep in mind the side imaging beam is a razor thin beam that needs a direct line of sight to target . And it need to be below the hull of vessel . Hope this helps.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
fishingfiend

I've had my 798HD SI for a couple of years now and really enjoy side imaging when in less than 150' of water. Helps to see which side the bait is on and structure when moving from spot to spot. As TJones stated, the transducer has to be in the water to get good side imaging resolution. My work around was to cut the lowrance cover and lower the transducer below the cover. The Helix is still using the same XNT 9 SI 180 T tranducer, so this should work. I like the Helix, but wish it had 1 more memory slot for tracking trip data plus a navionics card. The one tradeoff with humminbird, the power pin connector is not ideal for saltwater and will require keeping the contacts clean. I use contact cleaner after every trip now to better manage the corrosion.

fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
TJones

Holy shit

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

I have not used a humminbird sidescan, but have used the lowrence LSS2 and Raymarine CP200. I concur with everything that TJones and Fishingfiend mentioned in regards to mounting issues and usage capabilities of sidescan. So far, the reduced speed has out-weighed the benefit, but am still experimenting with different methods for mounting. I wish that hobie would make the newer PA's with a larger transducer area.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #6
svendawg

Transducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
Considering going for a new Helix 7 Hummingbird sidescan. No experience at all with sidescan, but looks like a sweet option. Wondering if anyone currently uses this and if these hummingbird sidescan transducers fit in the hobie lowrance space as well? Any advice is much appreciated.
Chuck
I have had the hummingbird 898 sci on my PA-12 for 2 years without any problems with the mount and without any modification to the hull. The problem is I can't get the full side scan picture because the transducer is up into the hull too far.
If you lower the transducer you run into the problem of exposing the transducer to rocks and sand when beaching your Yak.
I don't use my side scan very much but I do get a side scan picture although not up along the surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0017.jpg (61.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0018.jpg (41.5 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0019.jpg (42.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0020.jpg (38.6 KB, 173 views)
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
IN2DEEP

Retractable Humminbird transducer mount

This got posted recently on the Hobie forums
It's simple and should allow for full side scan readings and still allows for transducer protection
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...b06f84dcbfd710
Old 08-12-2015, 05:00 AM   #8
Chuck D

Thanks for all the great info guys, I am not sure that I am sold on the side scan yet. There might be a lowrance gen 3 in my future, well see...
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info guys, I am not sure that I am sold on the side scan yet. There might be a lowrance gen 3 in my future, well see...
Great info for humminbird mounts. If your thinking of trying sidescan with another brand, check out the transducer size before you buy. Raymarine's CP-200, Lowrence LSS-2 and garmin's side scan units are all way too big to fit in the lowrance ready area on hobie kayaks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
I'd go with the gen 3!

It's not like you need side scan anyways chuck...you don't seem to have any problems whatsoever catching fish....