Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Chuck D

100lbs will throw you off

So, as the story goes, I decided to do some afternoon rock fishing and figured I would stay out a little late... The swell was pretty large and the moon wasn't doing me any favors. Got into a bite and ended up throwing 2 WSB in the yak. I always struggle trying to find a place to put these guys so I stuffed one in the hull and slapped the other across the yak. At the time I didn't realize the weight of the both of them, I was thinking in the 30's or 40''s. Came into the launch without thinking much about weight distribution and a 3 footer flipped me with ease. I cannot remember the last time I flipped in my yak, must have been over 5yrs. Tossed off, I managed to get most my gear but loose an important pole that was given to me in the drink and a paddle (I'll get to that later). Go to get my wheels and there is a homeless dude sleeping with his dog right by my wheels, have to wake him up to get to my gear, seemed a little strange. Anyways, got out of there, cold but stoked on a nice catch. Post about the pole and props to pingpangdang to give me a heads up on a lead that a kayak guide had the pole. Went to the shores and checked with all stores, no pole, no word. Left my number with all shops and got a call from one shop explaining that his employee saw the guy who worked for a different guide service that had the pole. I went back to that shop and long story short they contacted him and got the pole back today, EPIC! Still missing the paddle, it's a Werner with yellow paddles and black pole, in case anyone runs into this. Oh, and the fish ended up going 57 and 43lbs, 57 being a PB for me, couldn't believe it!!! What a good ending to a little drama. Watch your gear boys...
Attached Images

Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
So, as the story goes, I decided to do some afternoon rock fishing and figured I would stay out a little late... The swell was pretty large and the moon wasn't doing me any favors. Got into a bite and ended up throwing 2 WSB in the yak. I always struggle trying to find a place to put these guys so I stuffed one in the hull and slapped the other across the yak. At the time I didn't realize the weight of the both of them, I was thinking in the 30's or 40''s. Came into the launch without thinking much about weight distribution and a 3 footer flipped me with ease. I cannot remember the last time I flipped in my yak, must have been over 5yrs. Tossed off, I managed to get most my gear but loose an important pole that was given to me in the drink and a paddle (I'll get to that later). Go to get my wheels and there is a homeless dude sleeping with his dog right by my wheels, have to wake him up to get to my gear, seemed a little strange. Anyways, got out of there, cold but stoked on a nice catch. Post about the pole and props to pingpangdang to give me a heads up on a lead that a kayak guide had the pole. Went to the shores and checked with all stores, no pole, no word. Left my number with all shops and got a call from one shop explaining that his employee saw the guy who worked for a different guide service that had the pole. I went back to that shop and long story short they contacted him and got the pole back today, EPIC! Still missing the paddle, it's a Werner with yellow paddles and black pole, in case anyone runs into this. Oh, and the fish ended up going 57 and 43lbs, 57 being a PB for me, couldn't believe it!!! What a good ending to a little drama. Watch your gear boys...
Great story. Nice croakers
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
Went to the shores and checked with all stores, no pole, no word. Left my number with all shops and got a call from one shop explaining that his employee saw the guy who worked for a different guide service that had the pole. I went back to that shop and long story short they contacted him and got the pole back today, EPIC!
That's GREAT to hear! .... and two beautiful fish.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Nice story, congrats on your catch. The 57 lber doesn't look much bigger than the 43 lber in your top photo.
Glad you at least got your rod back, nice stick. Too bad about the paddle, hope you get that back as well.
BTW, just curious because we both own Werner paddles, is yours a two piece?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
Deamon

Chuckie...D!
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #6
jpp9565

Glad you got your gear back!
jpp9565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
Chuck D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Nice story, congrats on your catch. The 57 lber doesn't look much bigger than the 43 lber in your top photo.
Glad you at least got your rod back, nice stick. Too bad about the paddle, hope you get that back as well.
BTW, just curious because we both own Werner paddles, is yours a two piece?
Yeah, I know, both fish were almost the same length, one just had some real nice girth to it As for the paddle, yes, it breaks down into two pieces and is adjustable to different angles.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
FullFlavorPike

I guess if you gotta trade a paddle for some fish, this is how you want to do it.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #9
King Saba

Outstanding. Just think of the Werner loss with as a $1.25 per lb of WSB.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
LEEZO

Glad to hear Neptune didn't get your pole. Nice PB
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #11
JeffB

Very nice man! Sweeeet!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #12
pingpangdang

Nice fish! As for the paddle I don't think a fellow yacker fishing the kelp would be foolish enough to use it there...have not really paid attention to other people s paddles but I don't recall many having a werner black and yellow. I'll keep a look out to include the guides. Not sure if those have serial numbers. I would check ebay and craigslist for the next few months.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #13
EastLosYaker

Hell no Chuck! You know I always had the Werner black and yellow too! Bummer about the paddle, but glad your rig made it back to you. And the fish...couple a beasts right there.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #14
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Sweet Meat!!!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:35 AM   #15
onthewater

Nice Fish! Congrats!!

I'm glad you got the pole back too, it looks like there is a on it?

What did the fish bite on and how deep of water?
onthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #16
svendawg

Great story

Nice catch Chuck.
Looks like your extra leg work paid off and you got your pole back, too bad about your paddle.
Moral of your story is:
Put the extra effort in to what you do and it will pay off.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #17
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Chuck... Great story and nice fish. Sorry we couldn't be there for you this time to help retrieve your gear (like we did with your gaff a while ago) but maybe next time using a paddle tether would prevent your loss?

Best,
Roman and Ed
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #18
blitzburgh

You tha MAN!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #19
kayakfisherman

Congrats Chuck!! Beautiful fish!! Glad you got most
of your stuff back. Nice way to brave the surf.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #20
WARRIORMIKE

Nice fish!!

Sucks because I lost my prescription glasses with the case. Maybe I should check out the kayak rental place. Maybe someone picked them up?
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote