Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
toadstoadsonly

Rigging a stealth 14

Hey guys I been kayaking for a few years now but been going with my buddy and borrowing his other yak. After his second kid he does not have much free time anymore and I always find my self having the kayak fever. So I decided to take the plunge and get a yak 5 kayaks later I think I have a keeper. Unfortunately not read all the helpful tips you guys had in the Forums and did the trial and error thing.

First I purchased a Scrambler (not enough storage space and room for a bait tank), then a cobra explorer (didnt like it), a cobra tandem 2 for my girl and I (realized it was way to slow especially since I have to paddle twice as hard because she is lazy), then at the OEX sale I picked up a tandem(since I know the tandem is faster) and a Sealth14.

Now I think I think the Sealth 14 is for keeps. The tandem I will keep it bare so it is lighter. So I am going to start rigging it I guess I am almost on the same boat as BROKELOSER as far as rigging the kayak. But I did not want to Thread Jack.

I am clueless to what else I should rig on and how and what I should rig my yak. Other than what I read on the board and googled. So any advice would be greatly appreciated, this is what I picked up so far based on reading you guys recommend:

Eagle Cuda 350
Tsunami 500 bait pump for the built in bait tank(walmart online) has an awesome deal on a full kit $29.99 if any of you guys need one. Comes with the hose, bait pump, steel stainer, aerator spray head.
Life Jacket
Gaff
Paddle
Game Clip
Scotty Mount rod holder (What is the best place to mount the scottys?)
A Whistle
2 12v batters
Dry storage for the batties
Bow Rope
Flag
harnesses for my rods.

Now since I have purchased all this and I suck at fishing where do I buy a 50lb White seabass and 40lb yellowtail? This way I could take a picture of it on my yak and post it on my FACEBOOK and pretend i caught it. Just playing Lol

I am wondering what type of fish finder mount do you guys recommend?

What are those extenders called that goes into the flush mount?

Do I need a milk crate in the rear of the yak since it has plenty of storage?

I have an extra bait tank (same as KFS Ultimate Bait tank) made for the rear is this necessary since the stealth have one in the middle?

I fish the PV kelp and malibu mostly do you recommend a drift sock?

I Purchased auto marine sealant made by dap is this fine or do I have to use Marine Goop?

I know I have a lot of questions guys. But I am pretty hardcore when It comes to fishing and I want my rig done right. I do also want to have the experience of rigging my own yak.

Last edited by toadstoadsonly; 02-22-2011 at 03:33 PM.
toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
What are those extenders called that goes into the flush mount?
I just call em extenders that go in the flush mount ...or flush mount rod extenders
Old 02-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstoadsonly View Post

Now since I have purched all this and I suck at fishing where do I buy a 50lb White seabass and 40lb yellowtail? This way I could take a picture of it on my yak and post it on my FACEBOOK and pretend i caught it. Just playing Lol
Funny you should ask... Josh might be able to hook you up. Well, he can at least give you the knowledge you need to have a chance at getting one for yourself. That is unless you want to go on the "5 year" learning curve like many of us have

Sounds like you have a solid rig so far. Definitely get a manual bilge pump for unexpected leaks and rough days. Also, a cell phone could save your butt out there...

Once you get five or six trips on your sled, you'll probably know where the weakpoint is for your setup. It's like captian ron said, "if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there."

Oh yeah and if you want to catch a big fish, just leave the game clip and gaff at home!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
tagyak

2 cents

hi toads,

just to give you my thoughts on your ????'s

regards to the fish finder mount, i use a ram ball mount and plate. take a look at the ram site on the internet and see what they have to offer. you'll get an idea of what types of mounts are out there. then you can get it from them or somewhere else depending on how fast you'll want it.

milk crate, that is a personal choice. i have one that i use for when i am out on a lake. simply b/c i don't use a bait tank out on a lake and i need added storage. i also added a berkeley rod holder on one end so that i can use it for my poles. my bait tank has the rod holders as well.

the extra bait tank??? i am not sure what you meant by having an extra, but i have read on some post that the stealth had issues with the one built in. so maybe you should have this checked or do some more investigating. the one built in, is it rigged up already for the bait pump?

also you mentioned that you got (2) 12v batteries. some recommend using a 6v battery for the bait pump unless you put a timer switch on it. the timer switch allows for the pump to turn on and off so that the bait won't be pounded to death. the 6v battery does not have as strong water pressure to harm the fish so much. also get an extra tube so that you can use it to prime your pump while on the water. just connect it to the pump and suck up the water to get it going.

regards to the automotive sealant, it isn't recommended. get marine goop. you may be able to find some at a true value in your area. i would recommend buying a couple packs. there will be some mistakes as you go. there really isn't very many boat shops in w.c. also i would recommend using a wet mount and not goop up the transponder. you can use one of those reynolds plastic containers that you buy in grocery stores. cut off the bottom and fish the cable thru the lid; that way you can cover the top. you'll need to goop up the sides of the container from the inside and around the outside. this has worked great for me.

also would recommend on purchasing some heat shrink for soldering wire connections for the batteries. you'll need some that are waterproof. don't forget the fuse, look for one that is water proof as well. i was able to find some at Ace or auto parts store.

regards to where to mount the scotty rod mounts; go fish a couple of times and you'll get an idea where you would like to place them. i have gone out and i am still wondering on what type of mount i want or need. i.e. spinning rod setup, or casting rod type.
you'll still be able to enjoy fishing without having everything put onto the yak on the first trip.

good luck
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

I have a Lowrance X50 mounted on the side of my Sled. It's about the same size as a Cuda 350. It sits on top of a Ram Mount that I purchased from Andy at OEX in SB.

I used a bulkhead wire seal for the wire penetration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00100.jpg (38.6 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg 1_17_11 010.jpg (45.0 KB, 315 views)
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
tagyak

BWE online store

for a lot of the items that you may need you can also look at the online store tab on this forum. look at the electronics parts section you can find the shrink tube along with the marine 2pin connector for your batteries, wire seal, and timer switch.
i forgot about the online store. it may help you with your setup and save time on running around everywhere looking for stuff.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
toadstoadsonly

Thanks for the quick response to my post guys I went out and picked up a bunch of the random things I needed wires, shrink tube, etc.

The things I need to pick up fish finder mount Ram Mount, marine goop, and riggings to make a wet mount for my transducer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Funny you should ask... Josh might be able to hook you up. Well, he can at least give you the knowledge you need to have a chance at getting one for yourself. That is unless you want to go on the "5 year" learning curve like many of us have

Sounds like you have a solid rig so far. Definitely get a manual bilge pump for unexpected leaks and rough days. Also, a cell phone could save your butt out there...

Once you get five or six trips on your sled, you'll probably know where the weakpoint is for your setup. It's like captian ron said, "if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there."

Oh yeah and if you want to catch a big fish, just leave the game clip and gaff at home!
I am going to try my luck in La jolla couple of times if my luck is off I might just have to invest in Josh.

When I target the seabass and yellows I will make sure to leave my camera, fillet knife, cooler, game clip, and gaff at home to increase my chances. Oh and when ghost hunting I will make sure to wear my lucky hat and yellow thong since seabass are Gay like everyone says on BD.

Forgot to mention I do have a manual bilge already.

As far as a cell phone I never want to bring it on the water but after reading some of the stories. I purchased a dry case so I could have it on the water for it for safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
hi toads,

the extra bait tank??? i am not sure what you meant by having an extra, but i have read on some post that the stealth had issues with the one built in. so maybe you should have this checked or do some more investigating. the one built in, is it rigged up already for the bait pump?

some recommend using a 6v battery for the bait pump unless you put a timer switch on it.

regards to the automotive sealant, it isn't recommended. get marine goop. you may be able to find some at a true value in your area.

also i would recommend using a wet mount and not goop up the transponder. you can use one of those reynolds plastic containers that you buy in grocery stores. cut off the bottom and fish the cable thru the lid; that way you can cover the top. you'll need to goop up the sides of the container from the inside and around the outside. this has worked great for me.

also would recommend on purchasing some heat shrink for soldering wire connections for the batteries. you'll need some that are waterproof. don't forget the fuse, look for one that is water proof as well. i was able to find some at Ace or auto parts store.

regards to where to mount the scotty rod mounts; go fish a couple of times and you'll get an idea where you would like to place them. i have gone out and i am still wondering on what type of mount i want or need. i.e. spinning rod setup, or casting rod type.
you'll still be able to enjoy fishing without having everything put onto the yak on the first trip.

good luck
My extra bait tank is same as a KFS Ultimate Bait tank.

I picked up a 6v

I mostly yak in the ocean and all conventionals so I picked up the soctty power lock. I will keep from installing my scottys until a couple trips

Ill also look into the foam and wet transducer set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I just call em extenders that go in the flush mount ...or flush mount rod extenders
Thanks, i never knew what they are called. Do you guys recommend just using PVC as extenders? If so what size PVC?

Its funny I feel like a little kid during Christmas buying stuff to rig my yak. But didnt realize how darn expensive all this misc stuff cost.
toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
tony

A few suggestions....
-There's probably a ton of info you can get from past posts on this site and from the members....
-You're pretty close (I think) to Andy at Sunset Beach OEX. He was into Malibu kayaks before most of us got out of diapers I'm sure he'd have no problem yakin about Malibu yaks and how to outfit them.
-The king of kayak accessorizing, Doug Gaxiola, recently got a Stealth 14...http://overloadedkayak.blogspot.com/

Last edited by tony; 02-22-2011 at 07:36 PM.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
herbo

On the PVC rod extenders, if you go to fishingkayaks.net, hit directory, than go to Texas Kayak Fisherman web site,kayak rigging, search PVC extenders(may have to go back 9 pages) Louis Clarks II post, he explains how to make them, real easy....hope it helps.....H
Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbo View Post
On the PVC rod extenders, if you go to fishingkayaks.net, hit directory, than go to Texas Kayak Fisherman web site,kayak rigging, search PVC extenders(may have to go back 9 pages) Louis Clarks II post, he explains how to make them, real easy....hope it helps.....H
Here's an easier link:
http://www.louiswclarke.com/kayakrig...es/Page921.htm
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #11
jorluivil

Speaking from experience don't be afraid to experiment and always remember to measure twice and cut once. It's almost a guarantee that you're not get it right the first time. You'll rig your yak, take it out and realize that something isn't in the right place.

The crate in this picture was at one point a full sized crate, now it sits snug right behind my seat and carries most of my poles and all three of my fishing tackle trays.....all it took was a tape measure, a saw and some zip ties. Get creative and you'll safe yourself a sh*t load of money. Go through as many post as possible and look at the way the yaks are setup, you'll be amazed and what you'll come up with.

It won't let me attach the pic so here's the thread......http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=7407

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-25-2011 at 08:05 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
BrokeLoser

Hey toadstoads....
Did that 'Walmart' bait well pump kit come with all the same parts as the one from this website or from OEX?

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ll-Pump/Detail

You said it has this included but I can it on the Walmart site.
"Tsunami 500 bait pump for the built in bait tank(walmart online) has an awesome deal on a full kit $29.99 if any of you guys need one. Comes with the hose, bait pump, steel stainer, aerator spray head."
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstoadsonly View Post
Thanks for the quick response to my post guys I went out and picked up a bunch of the random things I needed wires, shrink tube, etc.

The things I need to pick up fish finder mount Ram Mount, marine goop, and riggings to make a wet mount for my transducer.

I am going to try my luck in La jolla couple of times if my luck is off I might just have to invest in Josh.

When I target the seabass and yellows I will make sure to leave my camera, fillet knife, cooler, game clip, and gaff at home to increase my chances. Oh and when ghost hunting I will make sure to wear my lucky hat and yellow thong since seabass are Gay like everyone says on BD.

Forgot to mention I do have a manual bilge already.

As far as a cell phone I never want to bring it on the water but after reading some of the stories. I purchased a dry case so I could have it on the water for it for safety.

My extra bait tank is same as a KFS Ultimate Bait tank.

I picked up a 6v

I mostly yak in the ocean and all conventionals so I picked up the soctty power lock. I will keep from installing my scottys until a couple trips

Ill also look into the foam and wet transducer set up.

Thanks, i never knew what they are called. Do you guys recommend just using PVC as extenders? If so what size PVC?

Its funny I feel like a little kid during Christmas buying stuff to rig my yak. But didnt realize how darn expensive all this misc stuff cost.
"some assembly required" fish (yt, wsb, etc) not included...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
StinkyMatt

Too much crap on the kayak!

Have not been kayak fishing that long, but I am finding that the longer I fish the less clutter I want. I just changed my set up to get rid of a crate.

Minimum crap = less hassle = more room for fish

my.02
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Have not been kayak fishing that long, but I am finding that the longer I fish the less clutter I want. I just changed my set up to get rid of a crate.

Minimum crap = less hassle = more room for fish

my.02
good point....I think we newbs get all excited to go out and BUY EVERYTHING!
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
good point....I think we newbs get all excited to go out and BUY EVERYTHING!
ya, that is the fun part of getting started!!! the gadgets