Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #21
wade

[QUOTE=blackcloud9;96544]
"Slashed nets?" I guarantee the holes in your nets were caused by
moray eels -

Ive been hooping for over twenty years, and never experienced cuts as clean as this, because These were cut by a human. not a eel or any fish in the sea..i have also dealt with seals chewing , and it wasnt that either..the cuts were to the THICK bridal, not the net that can get cut by a rock quite easily.
& your also supporting that eel theory on the capsizing also?

Turning on the two spotlights at Vietors was probably to see what all the
screaming was about.

Nope..We were completely silent until the lights came on..
That screaming was indeed me, but it sure wasn't happiness..

Let me assure you, there were no "fast free divers" messing with you, at
all. The visibility was 3 ft with soupy red tide, and there were only three
divers all night, further north off Palomar. Certainly not "divers from
those mansions". Most of the people that live along the cliffs are not
'watermen' to say the least.

Ok whatever makes you all happy. the divers live in Arizona then OK?...
The divers were there, and they were cutting nets. BTW There were MANY more then three confirmed,..
I also realize you live right around there, but how do you have the entire ocean in lock down?

Thanks for the map those look like some good spots. LOL. Warning to all:
hooping boilers in 10-15' of water, you better do it on a very FLAT night,with no waves. Everyone should remember that this is challenging terraindue to "shallow reefs and sneaker sets". This area will all likely be closed in the MLPA process soon.

Yes, thats why I hooped it for years..not many would get in there..Good bugs...The Tred Barta way is the best way...

I launched from the shores, fished all over the place during the day, and worked my way down to PB buggin, then came back up fishing at midnight and landed at the shores...
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................

Last edited by wade; 10-03-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #22
bluesquids

Bizzare. Sounds like a team of radical environmentalists going commando to me. I would not put it past them.

Please don't be outwardly aggressive to freedivers unless warranted. Most are not gonna pull any kind of crap. Remember we are fellow SPORTSMEN have fought against the MLPA and consider yakkers our brothers.
Also, when we dive for bugs remember that we have our heads under water 95% of the time and can only see a few feet underwater. We can't hardly make out a trap very well and it's completely impossible to see one that doesn't have a glowstick. If you're sititng out there in the dark.. you'll see us a long time before we see you. Paddle up and let us know where your set is. Personally, the last thing I want to think about is swimming into someones lines underwater. There's enough Bullsh*t day to day on land....that's not why we're all out there.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #23
Rock Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
No.
My golden waypoints are specifically to piss off the territorial diver(s), who also cut my traps & cut my buddies traps and also flipped us while hooping in the open ocean.

For the record, I don't give grief for anyones report "unless" your announcing a candy explosion on the first day. I have personally given numerous daily & timely quality reports throughout the years............................
Thanks for the reply. Like I said, it was a serious question. We kind of had the same thing up here. During our whole MLPA clusterf*** all the Sea Ranch residents were voting for the option that left Sea Ranch open (which has super restricted access to non-residents) and close the majority of the easily accessible areas. Our first thought was let's form a posse and go fish/dive the hell out of Sea Ranch from now on.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #24
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Sounds to me like we need to start start carring some bricks. Trying to cut my lines take this!!! Bombs away. Then jump out my kayak so I can kick someone butt

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #25
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Two experienced kayakers flipped? Certainly not an accident. Slashed
ropes, not nets, that's another thing.

Thanks for the clarification on what actually happened Wade. At first
glance the story is hard to believe, so forgive me for not getting it, but,
that sucks that it happened to you guys. I was nearby, and have never
had a problem out there so its a little stunning.

I'm sure a small fleet of excited kayakers arriving together drew
unnecessary attention.

Somebody pulled this off in cold, pitch black, kelpy red tide with no dive
lights -my sense is that these were not environmentalist wackos trying to
save the lobsters.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #26
herbo

Thanks for all your valuable input Wade, Hope your shoulder gets better soon ....H
Old 10-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #27
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud9 View Post
Two experienced kayakers flipped? Certainly not an accident. Slashed
ropes, not nets, that's another thing.

Thanks for the clarification on what actually happened Wade. At first
glance the story is hard to believe, so forgive me for not getting it, but,
that sucks that it happened to you guys. I was nearby, and have never
had a problem out there so its a little stunning.

unnecessary attention.

Somebody pulled this off in cold, pitch black, kelpy red tide with no dive
lights -my sense is that these were not environmentalist wackos trying to
save the lobsters.
No prob Larry, any time I'm too vague & need more info let me know i tend to do that often..I never had a problem before either..I dont think its environmentalist personally either. i think its possibly some locals who have secured a solid local live well like Vons' Maine.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #28
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Posted this for probably one bored local diver* unable to cope with
watching a successful hunter-kayaker while their opening night was
TOTALLY SHOT due to really crappy visibility? (* maybe?)

Disclaimer:
I was between 30 and 100 yds from Wade and crew all night, hooping.
I think a post like this is very short-sighted, your shoulder will heal, and
the next time you get skunked here and have buoys all over your spot
you may regret posting it. Just my 2c.

Last edited by blackcloud9; 10-04-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #29
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud9 View Post

unnecessary attention.
I'm kind of thinking Wade doesn't flail around like a puppy dog when he's arriving to his spot (some of us others, yes, but Wade???)...Whooping it up after a good catch or a keeper bug? please...I'm picturing smooth, low key, rasta all good...unless you fugg with him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
Please don't be outwardly aggressive to freedivers unless warranted. Most are not gonna pull any kind of crap. Personally, the last thing I want to think about is swimming into someones lines underwater. There's enough Bullsh*t day to day on land....that's not why we're all out there.
Squids, you sound like the real deal...but I gotta say most freedivers could give a rats arse about my set. Hoopers go agro because most divers will...without hesitation...go right through our sets and it does shut down bugs when it happens.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #30
mbaha

I love the smell of bullshit in the morning.

With all the bioluminescence there is no way a free diver could sneak up on you undetected. Even on scuba they would leave a trail of glowing bubbles.

Think about it.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #31
grey zone

I find it hard to believe that a diver flipped a kayak, but I was not there. I have never had a negative experience with one. They are easy to track by their light and usually come and go. If they go by a hoop or two I just assume they cannot see them. I do not think they can see to far with the visibility we encountered. We always suffer mystery damage in the shallows which I assumed was from eels or nets getting caught on sharp rocks. I have had bridle ropes cut on several occasions and wondered was might be responsible. Sunday night revealed a new culprit. I had a 60-70 lb seven gill shark get tangled in a hoop and tear it up. Like I said, I was not there, but unless you have proof keep an open mind to other possibilities.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #32
Aaron&Julie

Bluesquids, you're probably right about divers being good dudes/dudettes, but we had divers (or their boat buddies) that didn't qualify as such on our Sat night bug trip in SD bay, from 2 different boats. I won't go into details, but for every group of good people there are assholes about, be they divers, fishermen or kayakers. Just see Scallywags post.
We are going to police our stuff even more closely in the future.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #33
The Great Blumpkin
Junior

Last time I wore my buff all day I saw this in the mirror! and I swear somebody grabbed me!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #34
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
but for every group of good people there are assholes about, be they divers, fishermen or kayakers. Just see Scallywags post.
We are going to police our stuff even more closely in the future.
Or the jackoffs advocating hooking divers and throwing seal bombs at them.....
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #35
wade

Step outside our perfect little worlds for a minute..
Use your brain and think about it just a bit further, but from the perspective of a thief..The same "problem" you mention but fail to fully recognize, is in the divers favor of being UN-detected..These aren't regular recreational divers first off. You can all live there, and or be hooping 100 yards from me off your surfboards or yaks, but you dont have any clue as to my ordeal & the direct cause. Territorial Surfers will drop in on a kook in a heartbeat harass and even maim his back with their skegs for no good reason other than wave rights. These are pissed of thieving divers who think they own the ocean. The entire water column was glowing. & that means EVERYTHING. Every wave, every little piece of bait is glowing. Every piece of kelp is lit up like a christmas tree. Every second something else is glowing everywhere you look. They had a pretty good cover of distraction going on, especially when you have to keep your guard up at all times in that impact zone & on a yak. Glowing Seals, Glowing waves, Glowing broken off kelp, your precious seven gill sharks glowing ,neon dolphins, and most importantly is the rope from the traps also lights up making it extremely EASY to find in those soupy conditions, especially when its first being dropped & given 15 minutes before you return... AND being covered by a upper canopy of kelp also does a great job of hiding your trails from above.. Its very plausible, because it did happen & no other way did it occur. I have an open mind, and know exactly what caused this & It sure wasnt no seven gill. I have hooped this tight boiler section and countless others in the complete dark, up the entire coast from Mexico to Long Beach, in 10-15 foot seas and small craft warnings at night, and NEVER flipped. Ive gotten swamped on breaking sneaker waves @ night, & never flipped. I hooped right on TOP of razor sharp barnacled jetty rock piles @ night, ive trapped all over the East coast, on the Atlantic Ocean for Crabs, Bugs, even down in the Keys and Gulf of Mexico for Stone Crabs ,Bugs,shrimp,ect & never have I had cuts like this. not even on razor sharp Oyster beds. Not from the Alligators or from Bull sharks chewing on my standing lines, nothing has compared to this, when I repair my nets frequently from minor cuts and tears which is understandable & comes with the territory..When someones car get broken into again next week, or your stuff gets stolen right from under your noses in broad daylight, make sure to tell the police it was none other than a roving brazen gang of Mexican Seven Gills. They MUST be stopped!

Last edited by wade; 10-06-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #36
sdfisher

LOL ... preach wade!

And I would drop a seal bomb on a diver in a heartbeat if he was being a dip Sh!t and cutting my nets and flipping me and my buddies. every one has a right to the ocean and if you want to do stuff like that then you deserve it.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #37
Drake

I'm not scared to use my gaff if a diver comes within arms reach of my yak. Sorry, but in the dark of night I'm not taking any chances

Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #38
Drake

For those hatin' on Wade

Old 10-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #39
jorluivil

Lobster are known to carry knifes, chainsaws, boxcutters, blow torches and chisels so stop blaming the divers already.

Come on folks! Read the writing on the walls.

Net goes in ok.
Net comes up damaged.
Do we really need to spell it out?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 10-05-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #40
JeffB

Exclamation I'm the one that fell in...

I'M THE GUY WHO GOT FLIPPED THAT NIGHT IN WADE'S HERE STORY. MY NET WAS CUT, BY WHAT DUNNO. I HAVE HAD SEALS AND OTHER FISH RIP THROUGH MY NETS BEFORE, BUT THIS WAS A CLEAN CUT ON ONE OF THE 3 ROPES THAT CONNECT TO THE RING. sO WHAT COULD HAVE MADE A PERFECTLY CLEAN CUT DUNNO. MOST OF MY NET TEARS ARE RAGGED, ACTUALLY ALL OF THEM. AND THEY ARE ALL THE MESH, THIS WAS THE ROPE.

ON ANOTHER NOTE I AM ALMOST POSITIVE IT WAS NOT A DIVER WHO FLIPPED ME, GOSH LETS HOPE NOT. WHAT IT WAS DON'T KNOW. I DOVE INTO THE WATER WHEN MY KAYAK WAS BUMPED TO KEEP IT FROM CAPSIZING COMPLETELY. I WAS RIGHT BESIDE A COMMERCIAL BUOY, SO THAT COULD HAVE BEEN WHAT THUDDED MY KAYAK. I WAS TRYING TO RE-POSITION MYSELF AND A WAVE MIGHT HAVE PUSHED ME INTO THE BUOY FLIPPING ME OVER, WE WILL NEVER KNOW. NEEDLESS TO SAY I GOT BACK ON MY KAYAK ALRIGHT. IT DID SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF ME WITH ALL THE KELP LIGHTING UP AND MY AWESOME PANICKY DOG PADDLE SKILLS I HAD GOING.

AS FAR AS LOBSTER I HAD ONE LEGAL AND NEITHER OF THE OTHER TWO HAD ONE WHEN I LEFT. WHETHER OR NOT THEY TORE THEM UP AFTERWARDS, DUNNO. ONE GENTLEMEN TOLD ME HE WENT HOME EMPTY HANDED. THERE WAS SOMETHING SLAPPING AT THE WATER. THE HARD A$$ HOOPING FROM HIS SURF BOARD TOLD ME IT WAS MOST LIKELY A SEAL. AT THE TIME BEING I WAS A LITTLE STIRRED UP FROM BEING DUMPED AND BEING SOAKED AND COLD ANYTHING WAS BELIEVABLE. WADE WAS SURE IT WAS A DIVER AND MADE SURE THE HOUSE KNEW HE DIDNT APPRECIATE IT, I DUNNO. I BOUNCED OUT OF THERE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE . MADE MY WIFE AN HOUR LATE TO WORK AND SHE ABOUT LOST HER JOB AND ME MY HEAD. DO NOT PISS OF A TINY THAI GIRL, "TRUST ME"!!!!

HOPE THAT KIND OF HELPS OUT WITH ALL YOU GUYS' CRAZINESS ON HERE.........
Closed Thread