Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Royak

Safeway, Vons supporting the MLPA?

Safeway, the supermarket chain that also owns Vons, is apparently publicly supporting the Marine Life Protection Act.

"In California, Safeway is a proponent of the Marine Life Protection Act Initiative..." Source: www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/22297

It needs to understand the true, destructive nature of this legislation. Consider letting your feelings be known at your local store and/or www.safeway.com
Royak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
stairman

ok just sent this comment off to them.Take five minutes and send one too

Your support of the mlpa does nothing for "sustainable seafood.What does help is good science and limits on the catch of impacted seafood.
so quit trying to help your bussiness by being "green" (aka stupid) and look into each case before making a decision.
The mlpa will close down some of the prime recreational fishing spots where california anglers target specia that are not in any danger of being over fished.We as lovers of the ocean environment will support good science,reduced bag limits,catch and release only,and total protection for certain specia.
We have in the past supported and implemented legislation to restrict our own catches.This mlpa is nothing but killing the fly on your child forehead with an ax.It 's proponents ,when done with this,will come after supermarkets and their sale of meat.Yeah go ahead and laugh.Forty years ago people laughed when people like me said that you wouldn't be able to smoke on the streets of certain cities in california.The people supporting the mlpa are nuts with a lack of common sense and ZERO SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE.
if you lay down with these dogs you will get up with fleas
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
mrJB

Sorry, I don't support "catch and release ONLY" fishing. I like to eat seafood and prefer to catch my own rather than buy the imported, hormone saturated, antibiotic laced stuff from the stores.

It wouldn't surprise me if, in a few years, we find out that the MLPA push is substantially backed by those who have a vested interest in profiteering from the imported seafood business. Funny how, even at present, the FDA cannot/does not check 60% of our imported seafood for contaminants.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
wade

really?...hmmmmm........ok have it your way...

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

now I know where to drop off my carcasses when I get my next catch! Hopefully tomorrow
Old 04-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Maybe a big SHAME ON VONS/Safeway Banner outside of every store? Would it hurt their sales if the fishing community had this in their face entering the store? I am not shopping at Vons until they stop supporting the MLPA.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
herbo

I just sent a smokin' letter to Safeway/Vons about mlpa support. I've shopped there for lots of years, this has ended, I'll drive the extra 4 miles to Ralph's market now.....H