Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
jorluivil

Josh Pruitt Seminar

Who was there?

For those of you that missed it I would strongly suggest that you do everything possible to get to his next seminar. Obviously, Josh DID NOT give away any secret spots but I can assure you that I walked away with a wealth of knowledge and information. Josh covered just about everything that one needs to know to become a safer and better fisherman regardless of where you're fishing. I thought I had all my bases covered until I started to hear him speak, by the end of the seminar I realized that I was still on bench refilling the water bottles....the whole time I thought I was at the batters box. Now, I need to take a step back and look at all of my gear, my tactics and understand that how much time I spend on the water is not just a part of fishing but the key to success.

Josh, can't thank you enough for the seminar!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

So he didn't bring a truckload of & for everyone?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
ericko

When might be the next one and is he going north maybe OEX SUNSET...If its as good as your saying im willing to PAY for gas.
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
herbo

I hope to make it to his next seminar, I couldn't make the one today due to health issues( that won't let me drive), It's a drive from Canyon Country to down south. anyway I bet it had a wealth of fishing information.....H
Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

As Josh likes to say X2!

One hour quickly stretched into two as the man thoughtfully answered every question thrown at him. It was definitely a "you should have been there" kind of event.

Thanks to Ron, Debbie and the rest of the hosts for putting on a first rate event.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
sdfisher

THAT EVENT SUCKED!

NO GPS COORDINATES, HE DIDN'T GIVE OUT THE SECRET WSB CALL THAT BRINGS THEM OUT OF THE KELP AND RIGHT ONTO YOUR BOAT AND NO 50lber's FOR US TO HOLD AND TAKE FISH OF A LIFETIME PICTURES WITH!

good seminar Josh, enjoyed it a lot and learned some new info to apply to the WCW hunt. Most importantly though, I learned that if you can't cast a 100+ yards, then you have no shot at yellowtail!

time to practice...

quite the fan club you have. I did see someone video taping the event, look for the dvd to be out soon
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Lets_Fish

AWESOME seminar, thanks Josh, Ron & crew!

Agreed that it was an AWESOME seminar from Mr. Fishie himself. The wealth of knowledge that this young man (yes Josh is younger than me) has is just amazing. As mentioned above he did cover a wide area of fishing "La Jolla" from safety, knots, safety, types of rods he suggests to use and many other things.

I was the one with the video in the back and I burned through one battery and half of another. I believe the total time for Josh speaking was close to 1-½ hours with a short 15 minute break after the first hour.

For those of you that will be looking for the video, well it wil cost you! Anyways after talking with Josh about the video and with great respect for him, I will not post it on any forums or other sites ( yes I will be ). I have agreed to send it to him, so if he wishes to post it you might look there. Sorry but as I said, great respect for him and his business I believe that all of you would do the same.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Abandoned Ship
Junior

Real good info from Josh! Found myself jotting down some notes and picking up a "life saver - saver" (pelican box) that was really expressed as a must have. My only issue is the buddy system, would like/want one when out to play in the big Jewel (safety first ). Unfortunately I'm categorized as those who can only venture out 2-3 times a month even though I'm a Local! I would like to put some of Mr. Pruitt's insights into practice! (hint-hint )
Old 04-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
roadx

Thanks Josh

you have expressed that public speaking is not your thing but i would have to say you did a great job and looked comfortable giving out useful information and answering questions.

you got me motivated to get a some safety items i should have had a long time ago but been putting it off.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
sharonkayak

Good seminar, I learned some good tips. hopefully put them to use tmrw.

was sad I had to leave at intermission, I was hoping to get his autograph!
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

My buddy Tim went to the seminar.

Before the Seminar he said next weekend is booked solid, NO fishing.

After the seminar his weekend opened up! Going fishing.

I guess he got a little inspired! Thanks Josh.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
THE DARKHORSE

Thanks for the kind words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Who was there?

For those of you that missed it I would strongly suggest that you do everything possible to get to his next seminar. Obviously, Josh DID NOT give away any secret spots but I can assure you that I walked away with a wealth of knowledge and information. Josh covered just about everything that one needs to know to become a safer and better fisherman regardless of where you're fishing. I thought I had all my bases covered until I started to hear him speak, by the end of the seminar I realized that I was still on bench refilling the water bottles....the whole time I thought I was at the batters box. Now, I need to take a step back and look at all of my gear, my tactics and understand that how much time I spend on the water is not just a part of fishing but the key to success.

Josh, can't thank you enough for the seminar!

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who was able to make it. Especially those, who had to drive for hours to get there in the first place. I was more than humbled to have so many people at my first seminar. My early thoughts were, 'what if nobody shows'? Which were quickly replaced by, well, what it was. From my perspective at the podium, a Sea of people! I don't think it's a secret that I excel as a one on one coach; and speaking to the masses isn't exactly my forte'. I actually wrote to a fellow kayak-angler earlier this week on the matter. Saying: 'I'd rather get in a knife-fight on a dark Tijuana alley---than have to speak in front of a large audience'. No offense to the fine folks of Tijuana, of course. I frequently visit Mexico, love the people, and look forward to my next adventure there with great anticipation. I'll pass on Lower Trestles and know exactly what hotel I'll be staying at for the next South swell. In case you don't know, the fishing possibilities South of the border are endless, too.

Depending on if you were part of the standing room only portion of the crowd---or came early enough to snag a chair, my only hope is that you learned something. That you came away from it, feeling that it was worth your journey to get there. If you simply put into practice what I preached, it's a fact, you'll catch more fish. The truth is fish don't know who's on any particular vessel, nor do they care; and there's no reason why your results should be any different than mine. As they say, 'I put my waders on one leg at a time', too. We all start out refilling water bottles on the bench, with hopes of cracking that grand slam hit.

From my perspective, one of the biggest problems with kayak anglers today is simply becoming, for lack of a better word---complacent. Neglecting to realize that, even though they might catch a few nice fish a year (say, two big Yellow-tail and one White Sea Bass), in reality, the sky's the limit! If you have proper technique to begin with, practice your craft, and learn to recognize that perfect pitch---home runs will become a walk in the park! It's up to you to ultimately make that decision, whether or not you want to take your fishing to the next level. I can assure you---there's another level if you so desire to find it.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
jorluivil

Hey, Josh. You looking or a new BFF?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I actually wrote to a fellow kayak-angler earlier this week on the matter. Saying: 'I'd rather get in a knife-fight on a dark Tijuana alley---than have to speak in front of a large audience'.

I know the feeling.....I recall the day I had to stand up in front of a group of roughly 500 co-workers which included Regional Directors, VP's, CE-this, CF-that, Vice-this and Vice-that. I only spoke for about 20-seconds but it felt like a lifetime. I could feel my mouth getting dry by the millisecond & my knees getting weak, when I sat down I thought I was going to faint......now they can't get me to shut up.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
sharonkayak

Funny thing happened today, so lets say I must of not been listening to the safety part of the lecture, so I went out this morning solo.

and I saw a whale a good ways away, thought it must be a grey going north. so I kept on with my trolling along the kelp, next thing you know this blue whale, I kid you not comes up maybe 50 ft alongside my yak. It was like a submarine coming to the surface, I have never put my lifejacket on so fast. Anybody within half a mile probably heard me freaking out! It came up once more facing me and dove down. I decided that was quits for me for the day!

Definately learned keeping a life jacket on or in easy reach is important!
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #16
old_rookie

Quote:
I actually wrote to a fellow kayak-angler earlier this week on the matter. Saying: 'I'd rather get in a knife-fight on a dark Tijuana alley---than have to speak in front of a large audience'.
Toastmasters - it can help tremendously with that.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #17
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Toastmasters - it can help tremendously with that.
Did i hear an ummm in that?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
tagyak

Quote:
If you have proper technique to begin with, practice your craft, and learn to recognize that perfect pitch---home runs will become a walk in the park! It's up to you to ultimately make that decision, whether or not you want to take your fishing to the next level. I can assure you---there's another level if you so desire to find it.
hey Josh,

after you get tired of this "fishing thing" i can see you becoming a life coach or a inspirational speaker. like anything else in life, if you apply this sentence:

"If you have proper technique to begin with, practice your craft, and learn to recognize that perfect pitch---home runs will become a walk in the park! It's up to you to ultimately make that decision, whether or not you want to take your fishing to the next level. I can assure you---there's another level if you so desire to find it"

you can become successful at anything you do in life. thanks for that life lesson. great insight and great seminar!

tim
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #19
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Fish View Post
Agreed that it was an AWESOME seminar from Mr. Fishie himself. The wealth of knowledge that this young man (yes Josh is younger than me) has is just amazing. As mentioned above he did cover a wide area of fishing "La Jolla" from safety, knots, safety, types of rods he suggests to use and many other things.

I was the one with the video in the back and I burned through one battery and half of another. I believe the total time for Josh speaking was close to 1-½ hours with a short 15 minute break after the first hour.

For those of you that will be looking for the video, well it wil cost you! Anyways after talking with Josh about the video and with great respect for him, I will not post it on any forums or other sites ( yes I will be ). I have agreed to send it to him, so if he wishes to post it you might look there. Sorry but as I said, great respect for him and his business I believe that all of you would do the same.

Someone send me a PM with the super special secret link to the video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonkayak View Post
Funny thing happened today, so lets say I must of not been listening to the safety part of the lecture, so I went out this morning solo.

and I saw a whale a good ways away, thought it must be a grey going north. so I kept on with my trolling along the kelp, next thing you know this blue whale, I kid you not comes up maybe 50 ft alongside my yak. It was like a submarine coming to the surface, I have never put my lifejacket on so fast. Anybody within half a mile probably heard me freaking out! It came up once more facing me and dove down. I decided that was quits for me for the day!

Definately learned keeping a life jacket on or in easy reach is important!
ever since i read that post on being flipped by a whale I never took mine off. I sleep with it...
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
j mo

Remember class squeeze the bait! Glad it worked out for you Josh
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote