Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Fred hall

So since no one has started the thread....
Who's going and what day (s)?
what are you looking for?
I'm hearing lots of rumors about the new...

Andy, any preview of what to expect form OEX at the show?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
yaknewb

So i have never been and am planing to go. Can you pic up lures and plastics there or are the jus showing you what they have at there store?
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

bring cash, and lots of it

4419769997_38a53fd7da.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Regor
Greg

More info about show here :

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ight=fred+hall
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
T Bone

Its Disneyland for fishermen...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaknewb View Post
So i have never been and am planing to go. Can you pic up lures and plastics there or are the jus showing you what they have at there store?
If you keep a watchful eye out and are patient you cand find some sweet deals. Yes, you can buy as if you are at the tackle stores. Turners will be there as well as many other tackle stores. Like someone else said bring money.

I'll be going to the San Diego show, I'm going to try and go the opening night, I did that once before and it was pretty cool, but many of the vendors were not all there yet. I'll check out the seminars and plan my trip around that.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
yaknewb

What are some of the seminars that they have there i cant seem to find them on the site.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
What are some of the seminars that they have there i cant seem to find them on the site.
You'll have Seminars probably from Jim Sammons, and many of the other Pros out there speaking at different times on different subjects. Now that I have been doing this for a while now I may have more questions to asked when listening to the Kayaking pros.

Keep checking the site they will post the seminar schedules soon. I always wait until I see those before I make plans.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
robmandel

Quote:
fred hall is a mixed bag.

it's not a swap meet so don't expect tons of great deals. somethings like kayaks (hint, hint ) there will be. if you are looking for one, there's some killer packages and what not. boats too. right now, the economy being what it is, boat dealers will pretty much be giving them away. lots of vendors will offer show specials and they're better than otherwise, but don't expect 1/2 avet's or anything. will be some vendor closeouts and overstock stuff. Big-5 will always run some good deals, as does turners. it's one of those "if you're in the market" things, then it is the best time to buy since you were going to anyways. usually there's some tie-ins with vendors and manufacturers, like berkeley gulp stuff.

probably best time to books trips, to meet the crews and get tons of info. great seminars and the new product showcases are cool.

I stock up on lead heads and plastics and such. best time to do that. there's a big booth somewhere in the middle, a few tables all laid out full of lead. can't be beat.

a couple of other booths will have lots of low priced tackle and odds and ends, pliers, knives, etc. good stuff for beginners, backups, and throw in the back of the car things.

always a time for me to meet up with friends I haven't seen in a while, BS a bit, all that. I bring the kids, get them excited to fish.

grab plenty of stickers, and anything else you can grab for free.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
mtnbykr2

it is so much fun, plan on being there the day, and yes bring what you want to spend, I plan on going on the last sunday, same thing meet new peeps, and some I haven't seen in a while, check out the next possible trip, rub elbows with some of the pros, it is a great day... a must do
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Nic D

I go on wednesday to help a friend set up.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
Billy V

I don't go to buy stuff - or have dinner there. $$$$
Because you can get great deals locally anyway and don't have to spend the $25 to Enter and Park.

I go to see my friends - to support the OEX guys - and all the other BWE guys that have a booth.

Sometimes there is a unique rod, or tool that may catch my eye - maybe then I buy it.
-----------------------------------------------
Be Advised...

If you join United Anglers at the front door your admission to Fred Hall is FREE and you will be helping them Fight The Corrupt ....

No Good Rat B@stards that have taken away YOUR Fishing Grounds !

Its Lawsuit MONEY well spent !
Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
YakMedic

I'll be there on Saturday, maybe Friday too. Need some new tackle.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
maui jim

I hear ya Billy, buy the time you pay to park, pay entry, buy 2 beers, some beef jerky, and tax.....dont seem like much of a deal in the end..
Let alone the bag of free crap you throw away a few days later.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
I hear ya Billy, buy the time you pay to park, pay entry, buy 2 beers, some beef jerky, and tax.....dont seem like much of a deal in the end..

Its kind of like being skunked....all this cool tackle around you, but you go home, yet again, without a fish.

If it is a nice day, and I have the time, I'd rather be OTW.

My apologies to anyone who is doing a seminar or other informational talk about the sport at the Fred Hall event. My free time available is limited, and anytime I see a nice day where I could be on the water, and not, it gets to me.

Last edited by old_rookie; 02-17-2011 at 05:39 PM.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #16
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post

Bring in your own beers, spend it on tackle.

I plan on being there Thurs & Fri, unless Promar doesn't want me this year
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
Iceman
Administrator

We are doing the 20X80 booth as usual and this year have Malibu, Wilderness, Hobie and Feel Free kayaks as well as Starboard SUP, Werner Kayak Paddles, AT Paddles, SUP Paddles by Werner, Quick Blade and Kialoa, tons of seats, accessories, PFDs and apparel on sale with once a year bargain pricing. Kayak packages always include free extras and discounted prices.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
Jim Sammons LJKF

See you all there. Long Beach and Del Mar. I have a booth at both as usual and generally do a seminar a day.
Del Mar is only 4 days this year not 5 like Long Beach.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
scooter
Junior

It's fun to check stuff out even if you don't buy. I went by the Avet group outside the LB covention center to cast their new reels (and effed up with a BIG bird's nest on their new magnetic reel that was supposed to limit that stuff!) and got a free hat for their trouble, bought some unibutter for the first time (seemed like a good deal and supported local business). Also learned to fly cast (only the basic cast, obviously) and watched seminars on the new frog lure and some other stuff. Should have brought some dull knives because a sharpener-seller was offering to show me how well his stuff worked. Also they had big outdoor fishing pond for the little kids. My kids are too big now but lots of little ones there getting their feet wet, so to speak. I just think its like being in a big candy store for fishing and outdoors. And I did the United Angler deal, it's only slightly more than admission and for a good cause.
I'm going again this year even if I don't buy anything.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
It's fun to check stuff out even if you don't buy. I went by the Avet group outside the LB covention center to cast their new reels (and effed up with a BIG bird's nest on their new magnetic reel that was supposed to limit that stuff!) and got a free hat for their trouble, bought some unibutter for the first time (seemed like a good deal and supported local business). Also learned to fly cast (only the basic cast, obviously) and watched seminars on the new frog lure and some other stuff. Should have brought some dull knives because a sharpener-seller was offering to show me how well his stuff worked. Also they had big outdoor fishing pond for the little kids. My kids are too big now but lots of little ones there getting their feet wet, so to speak. I just think its like being in a big candy store for fishing and outdoors. And I did the United Angler deal, it's only slightly more than admission and for a good cause.
I'm going again this year even if I don't buy anything.
I heard about you getting that birds nest, they weren't too happy with that from what someone was telling me. You made their product look bad.

I'm not an Avet fan so I thought that was pretty funny.

I love going to walk around and see people from this site and some others that I go on. I always stock up on the UniButter and help out the locals.