Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Just another day...

Damn, it comes every year, right on time, but once you're my age---is your day of birth really that significant? I'm obviously not talking about the birth of a child. I realize how special that day is, but from personal experience, as I age---I do everything I can to downplay the unavoidable. And practically hide from friends and family to help remind myself that, it's alright, what's one more year? I mean really, besides having a rough estimate of your age for medical purposes, it's just another day, right? There certainly isn't anything you can do about it. And as they say, any day above ground is a good one! So no complaints in that regard, as I'm blessed to be very much alive.

I don't know about you, but when I was young, I looked forward to getting older with great anticipation. Admittedly it wasn't, the wisdom which comes with age that was so attractive at the time. Rather, all the fun it looked like from the outside looking in; doing all the grown-up activities: partying with friends, driving fast cars, chasing loose-women and spending money as if it grew on trees! By the time I was twenty-five, though, I had an epiphany. I realized that my relatively short time on Earth was beginning to fly. And not only that, but it seemed to go faster and faster as each day came to a close. Looking back, it seems silly to have these thoughts at, what now, seems like such a young age. Funny enough, I remember saying to everyone who would listen at the time, I'm a quarter century! Just in case the wrinkle-free skin, full head of hair without one strand of gray, or the not a care in the world attitude didn't appropriately portray my age. Man, those were the days!

Then came the stresses of daily life; gray hairs a plenty---and bills out the wazoo. I don't know about you, but it's sometimes a challenge to smell the Roses through all the bullsh!#. And I find it highly unlikely I'm alone in that regard. I don't care how optimistic you are; there's just hoops 'a plenty to jump through in life. It's a glorified rat-race on most days; and don't expect a fine piece of Goat-cheese at the end, either. Ah, such is life!

The real kicker, as if time slipping away isn't enough, you know what makes my blood boil more than anything? : now that I'm old---partying hard, driving fast cars, chasing loose-women and spending money like it grows on trees isn't in vogue anymore---WTF! Apparently, there's these terrible afflictions known as moral obligations, prudent actions during tough times and dare I say, responsible life choices. How's one to breathe with so many responsible expectations pushing down on your chest? Sometimes in through the nose out through the mouth, just barely and I mean barely, gets the job done.

With all this in mind, I'm a strong advocate of treating oneself to the finer things in life. If your significant other isn't going to buy you that shiny, two-speed reel, who is? And if she has the uncanny ability to grow a split-personality when the Platinum-card is in her hands---well, two can play at that game! Being that I'm fairly responsible with my spending, though, I tend to opt for simply having fun on my birthday these days. Which, tradition wise anyway, means I'm simply going for a surf. I've been blessed in many ways, but it's uncanny how good the surf is on my birthday each year. As a matter of fact, it's been firing, almost every year on this fairly insignificant day. Some of the best barrels of my life have come on my birthday. And after giving it a lot of thought, I can't really put my finger on, well, why. Since quality swells have many, many variables it doesn't really make sense to always have an epic swell on a certain day. Which unfortunately, I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore; since it was flat yesterday. The streak has officially come to an end. I had the perfect plan: to snowboard all day Tuesday, which I did. Then surf on my birthday, like I've always done, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Which only leaves one other option, of course. Go fishing! Being that I had concrete plans to party like a rock-star last night, I certainly wasn't going to get up early. I slept in and made it to the launch around eleven, just as one yum-yum-yellow X-Factor landed. I passed two other yum-yum-yellow kayaks as I made my way to the condo. I figured at least, my mathematical odds of getting eaten by a Great White Shark were fairly low. Soon, though, I was all alone. And, as far as Jaws was concerned, I would have to rely on the giant herd of Seals and Sea lions from this point on. Not one boat or kayak for miles in either direction---ah, solitude---a great gift in itself! By the time I searched the ocean high and low, trying to put the puzzle together, my phone started to ring off the hook! I wasn't falling for it, though. And selfishly giggled as it rang, all the while thinking, it's my damn birthday!

Any advice on how to wrap this huge, MF'R?

One guy fishing in a relatively, tiny vessel, without a soul in sight---Heaven on Earth!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
roadx

Happy birthday for what it's worth. man thats is a nice fish!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Rav3n805

Nice fish for "just another day" go surf now...
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

Admit it, you just scrolled down to the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
Happy birthday for what it's worth. man thats is a nice fish!

There's no way you read the whole thing that fast!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
THE DARKHORSE

I would if I was eighteen years old, but I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav3n805 View Post
Nice fish for "just another day" go surf now...

I only ride micro shortboards and I'm 200 lbs solid. In short, I don't surf junk waves. There's just too many good days to surf.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
roadx

LOL i always scroll down fast when you post
Old 03-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Kayak Rookie
Junior

Great Birthday Gift

When thinking about getting older and feeling bad about it I always remember the other option.....not getting older!

Great catch great picture of the Sunset.

Happy Birtday,

Bob,

& Zack!
Kayak Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
lterrero
Leo

Hey Josh! is time to open the gate & let em out!!!
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
yaknewb

Nice catch josh happy b-day i hope to some day get one for my b-day you inspire me.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
deepdvr

Way to go you big ol' fart.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
bubblehide

"is your day of birth really that significant?"

Only if one spends them the way you do Josh. Looks and sounds like a sweet day. Happy birthday.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
bigbarrels

Nice Thanks for sharing and Happy B-Day! Are Depends comfortable when you peddle?
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Rav3n805

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I only ride micro shortboards .
When I surfed a lot... I preferred a board under 6ft!So I hear ya' That choppy stuff is no fun, even on a long board it gets old real fast.

hunting ghost was a good call
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post

Then came the stresses of daily life; gray hairs a plenty---and bills out the wazoo. I don't know about you, but it's sometimes a challenge to smell the Roses through all the bullsh!#. And I find it highly unlikely I'm alone in that regard. I don't care how optimistic you are; there's just hoops 'a plenty to jump through in life. It's a glorified rat-race on most days; and don't expect a fine piece of Goat-cheese at the end, either. Ah, such is life!

The real kicker, as if time slipping away isn't enough, you know what makes my blood boil more than anything? : now that I'm old---partying hard, driving fast cars, chasing loose-women and spending money like it grows on trees isn't in vogue anymore---WTF! Apparently, there's these terrible afflictions known as moral obligations, prudent actions during tough times and dare I say, responsible life choices.
Happy Birthday, Wait until your my age, then talk to me!

Our generation thought nothing of getting up at 0'dark thirty to go work, the new generation doesn't think much of it either - LMFAO!

I completely comprehend the rat race bullshit...Sometimes I go to bed in one country and wake up in another...my advice, for what its worth: Life is short, enjoy it - chase all the tail you want, albeit yellow, brown, white, dark, or tan, but hunt it down and enjoy it...and catch fish or two along the way. Best of all, grab a couple beers and share memories with those of us who are stuck in the everyday grind!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Respectfully,

Roger

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Iceman
Administrator

I have just been reminded how bad MY birthday sucked!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
mtnbykr2

happy birthday, brother,
that, my friend was an exquist piece you have written, and another "not so special" day has past, but man what a day, congrats
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #17
Nic D

Happy Birthday homeboy! and looks like you got the present you asked for.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
old_rookie

Nice one. I'll try the same on my b-day next month. I think I'm old enough.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
jorluivil

Happy bday...wish I was given that same gift.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
JoeBeck

Nice!!! happy birthday, and you won a little cash too . Sorry the waves weren't there for you not a bad alternative though. The snow in the mountains, wow it's been great, sure you had a good snowboard trip too. They were predicting minimal snow before winter because of La Nina, boy were they wrong. Not a bad birthday at all.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote