Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
fishmaster015
Junior

hobie rudder

I'm looking at getting a used Homie and I was wondering if there is a big difference between the old kick up rudder and the twist and stow. Also if there is a way to concert from old to new.. I was also wondering wat other major differences there are between this older kayak and the newer version. Thanks
fishmaster015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

1st Welcome, 2nd spell check, 3rd what hobie?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

I should probably let the experts answer but to give you a quick answer, I am under the impression that the newest rudder system will kick itself up if you hit the beach...

Somthing else I noticed is that mine needs some adjustment I think, seems to get a little sloppy... I am thinking the new ones wouldn't require much if any adjustment.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
fishmaster015
Junior

Sorry my phone auto corrects hobie and I forgot to go back and change some of them. It's an outback. If theres no.huge issues I don't mind, I just don't want something that's going to fail regularly. Thanks again
Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
pchen911

Yea, big difference... about $300+ difference on the used market between new and old Outback.

Old rudder is simpler and less likely to go wrong.

But twist and stow is more desirable because it is better for storage and less likely to bang into things when you are moving it around on land.

No way to convert the old rudder into the new twist and stow.

New version also has improved hull design (better primary stability), hand grip, different rear storage layout, deeper rod holder, and better drainage.

When buying old version, also try to avoid the problem year (05 I believe).. they changed the mold without changing the bolt for the mirage drive locking mechanism, as a result many of them had the drive slip forward and cracking the front of the drivewell. These model years required a fix, which is 2 longer replacement bolts and a fiberglass reinforcement for the front of the drivewell. If you buy one of these model years, you need to check to see if the upgrade has been performed or not... if not, you may need to do it yourself.

Personally, I would just avoid the early version and go with 07 or newer models. (basically, only the models with the twist and stow rudder).
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
lbsurf2ca

I was writing the same thing as pchen. I am one of those victims of the old outbacks. I am constantly battling water in the hull.

Spend a little extra and go with the newer model.
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
fishmaster015
Junior

is there a way to seal the crack. im not sure what year it is i just know it doesnt have the twist up rudder. im going crazy day dreaming bout being out on the water and i think i found a good deal so long as its not horrible but if this cracking is very common it may not be worth it to spend any money on a useless kayak. how do you keep you kayak from filling with water while out ona long trip?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
tagyak

hi fishmaster,

what is your budget? if it is around $1300 you can find the newer ones often. just have to keep looking on c.l. everyday.
but i would recommend listening to pchen911 advise. it is better to get the model with the twist and stow rudder, for $300-$500 more, you are getting a much better boat.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
fishmaster015
Junior

Right now its about 1000. I've seen a the newer ones just mostly in the san Diego area. I'm about an hour and a half with no traffic so I'm always hesitant to drive down unless I know its worth my while. I've seen some of the newer ones in my range I just havnt been the first to jump on them. I'm getting impatient because I want to get on the water now that school is out
Old 06-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
bigFISHINyak

Having owned an 06 and 07 outback and an 09 revolution I can honestly say that Hobie should have kept the old kick up rudder but changed the hull design. If you could match the kick up rudder with the newer hull design it would be much better. The twist and stow did have the advantage in that the rudder is completely out of the water and does not drag on the ground when landing. I had the sailing rudder on both models and the twist and stow with the sailing rudder put a TON of stress on the cables and pulley system. Yes it is made pretty stout but the older kick up was much sturdier in my opinion. The landing with the kick up rudder was slightly odd in that if you were in very shallow landing areas it would slightly scrape the bottom with the sailing rudder. Another thing to take into account is the kayak cart.....with the twist and stow the rudder is completely taken away from any ground contact but with the older kick up it will hit the ground at a certain angle. Another item to think about is the back storage area. To be honest....you cant beat the new design of the storage in that the livewell that Hobie makes is perfect for rod storage. Had this on my 07 and it was a dream in comparison to a crate type of system that you have to come up with for the older rectangular inset storage behind the seat. Just some additional things to think about but if I could have it my way, I would have the old kick up on the newer hull design. Oh and if you worried about maneuvering around in an outback......pass on the outback and get a revolution. Plus it is slightly quicker in the water and easier to land or dismount for some.
bigFISHINyak is offline   Reply With Quote