Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
Denis_Ruso

Hawaii Fishing

So it has been confirmed that I am going to Hawaii sometime in beginning of April. This is supposed to be prime Mahi Mahi Season.

I will be staying in Kona on the big island and I am determined to sneak away from the ball and chain to do a little .

I have never been to Kona, so I was thinking about getting either a kayak guide or jumping on a charter. I am really open to suggestions here. Has anyone had any experience with any charters or kayak fishing guides in Kona?

I found Lucky Gecko Kayak Tours for about 300$ for a 1-1 guided kayak fishing tour. Has anyone ever done this? Is it worth it?

Last edited by Denis_Ruso; 02-26-2016 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
MrPatrick

I've hired a kayak guide in Kona. We had some raked baits but none stuck. We did get to see some Humpbacks at the end of the season and the scenery was beautiful. The fish reports were low that week. It was fun nonetheless.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
maquinapescado

My friend lives in Hilo and is a tour guide. He also does fly fishing tours on the reefs. Not what you might be into. Let me know and I can send you his info if you're interested.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
2-Stix

my auntie lives in kona. i lived on oahu, bagged plenty. get on a small charter. buy them Heineken...you will have a great day.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
mrJB

Many lifetimes ago (before plastic fishing kayaks) I lived in Holualoa, up the hill from Kailua-Kona. This was before the Big Island was a tourist destination, before the Walmarts and Costco's you'll see after you leave the airport.

Fishing out of Kailua-Kona is probably very different than you're used to. Since the Big Island is a volcanic formation, the drop-off to deep water is very near shore, I'd guess within a half-mile, and very steep. We're talking maybe 300' very close in. I remember seeing the charters catching marlin just off shore as I was viewing from the beach. Lots of mahi-mahi and ono (wahoo) also to be had.

If you have the time and haven't firmed anything up when you leave the mainland, take a trip just north of Kailua-Kona to a "small" boat harbor in Honokohau and ask around. This is where most of the charters leave from and they'll be happy to get your business or point you in the right direction.

Good luck and let us know if you got out on a 'yak...
Old 02-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #6
blazian

I went out with a couple buddies on the Bite Me 2, a 46' Hatteras. Its painted fire red. Had a blast and caught a marlin a mile or two out. We were using 5lb yellowfin as bait.
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
domtesta27

I was on a trip to Kona last year and will be going back again in May. My little brother is a Scuba instructor out of Kona and he hooked me up with a buddy who also had his own charter. PM me and I'll send you his info, great young captain who knows how to get on the fish. Fishing from shore isn't as good idea since there are no real flats on Kona like the other islands which have huge bonefish populations. I tried almost every morning and only caught lizard fish and some dinky blue crevalle.

First day I took the whole family out, we trolled for almost 6 hours and caught 1 marlin and a decent sized Wahoo. The only problem is those captains use massive rods and 400+ lb test on the line. I reeled the wahoo in in about 3 minutes and couldn't even feel a head shake...... pretty boring IMHO

Second day I only brought the 10 wt flyrod and had him take me straight to the tuna grounds. I would highly recommend this. I landed 8 YFT between 3 and 20 lbs and the sashimi was fantastic. Not only that but they would slam massive streamers on the surface just 15 ft behind the boat on a very fast retrieve, then go 150 to 200 yards into the backing a couple of times. So much fun!
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
619-SWIM-DOG

If I wanted to go kayak fishing on the Kona side. I would book with one of the best in the game. I've seen him on this site before, but not sure of his name here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (113.1 KB, 87 views)
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #9
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
I've hired a kayak guide in Kona. We had some raked baits but none stuck. We did get to see some Humpbacks at the end of the season and the scenery was beautiful. The fish reports were low that week. It was fun nonetheless.
Who was the guide you hired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post

Fishing out of Kailua-Kona is probably very different than you're used to. Since the Big Island is a volcanic formation, the drop-off to deep water is very near shore, I'd guess within a half-mile, and very steep. We're talking maybe 300' very close in. I remember seeing the charters catching marlin just off shore as I was viewing from the beach. Lots of mahi-mahi and ono (wahoo) also to be had.

If you have the time and haven't firmed anything up when you leave the mainland, take a trip just north of Kailua-Kona to a "small" boat harbor in Honokohau and ask around. This is where most of the charters leave from and they'll be happy to get your business or point you in the right direction.

Good luck and let us know if you got out on a 'yak...

Thanks for giving me an idea of the island topography. I was going to bring my free diving fins and now I'm a little hesitant hehe. I'm leaning toward giving the kayaks a shot, depending on what kind of deal I can get on a private charter. Would love to land a Mahi on the yak. Fish so nice they named it twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtesta27 View Post
I was on a trip to Kona last year and will be going back again in May. My little brother is a Scuba instructor out of Kona and he hooked me up with a buddy who also had his own charter. PM me and I'll send you his info
PMed
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #10
MrPatrick

Denis,
I've searched and can't recall who I went out with, sorry.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote