Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
dpricenator

Question about Hooks on Jigs.

What are the benefits and detractors from using a treble hook on a smaller sized surface jig? Specifically the Shimano ColtSniper surface casting jigs.

The reason I ask is that I just bought a 6 pack of knockoffs from Amazon, that look GREAT. They are the small 40 gram size, and have a pretty big treble hook in the rear. I think I would pick up less weeds if there was a single hook back there, opposed to a treble hook. Of even a small double assist hook set up. Why do these style jigs come with a big treble hook and the flatfalls and butterfly jogs come with the single or double assist hooks?

I want to fish the kelp beds, the surf, and from the jetty with these, and treble just pick up weeds.

Anyway I made some assist hooks, and they will hold a 45lb weight, so I guess my knots are good.

I also took a single center aligned hook and swapped out the treble for that on a few of the jigs. It looks good, but I'm not sure if the hook should point down or up. Any thoughts on that would be helpful too.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Denis_Ruso

Uhmm less hooks to hook the fish? If the fish hits it from the side its less likely to get caught by a single hook.

There is a number of factors at play here.

Each jig is different. My main concern would be the action of the jig. The only way to test this would be in a swimming pool. Cast the jig and see if the action changes. If theres no change to action I would got ahead and keep the single.

Pros of Single Hook: Less bottom snags, Less spit hooks (debatable)
Cons: More missed bites, can change action of the jig

Pros of treble: Keeps traditional designed action, more snagged/ hooked fish
Cons: More bottom snags, more spit hooks (debatable)

I personally like to swap out my trebles for singles when I am tuna fishing. I feel that the bigger single stays in the fishes mouth better than the trable. Keep in mind that a coltsniper is really designed to be a vertical jig that gets bit on the drop. Really mostly meant to be jigged up and down.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
dpricenator

Right on. I knew the obvious answer was more hooks, but I noticed the guys on the tuna trip I just took, all had only 1 hook on their Tady's and such. I totally realize this is supposed to be a vertical jig, but I can cast it a mile. So from the shore it is a breeze to send it well past the waves and cover more ground on the return. I already have a small bass on it, from the shore. I was thinking it could be cast way down the line on a kelp bed. then let it sink for a couple seconds, and quick retrieve it back in.

I could be wrong, because that happens a lot when it comes to me and fish.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpricenator View Post
Right on. I knew the obvious answer was more hooks, but I noticed the guys on the tuna trip I just took, all had only 1 hook on their Tady's and such. I totally realize this is supposed to be a vertical jig, but I can cast it a mile. So from the shore it is a breeze to send it well past the waves and cover more ground on the return. I already have a small bass on it, from the shore. I was thinking it could be cast way down the line on a kelp bed. then let it sink for a couple seconds, and quick retrieve it back in.

I could be wrong, because that happens a lot when it comes to me and fish.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
No problem, personally I'm no surf fishing guru but I prefer a jig that sinks slower.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Growing up bass fishing, I learned to hate treble hooks in general.
I probably have a bit of an irrational hate for them just from snags and double hookings over the years. I almost avoid rapalas to spite them.

That said, I have been tempted to try the trap rig for lingcod
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #6
Mahigeer

I have changed a lot of my treble hooks with single hook.

Easier on fish especially if you plan on C&R.

Gamakatsu makes specially made replacement hooks for saltwater in different sizes.

That is what I use.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
FullFlavorPike

My understanding: Guys use single siwash hooks for tuna because the big boys will choke down the whole jig and a single hook sets and holds better that way. Treble hooks work for yt because you get hooked up when the fish grabs the side of the jig, and you often end up foul hooking him in the side of the head half the time as you wind through the strike. Assist hooks are actually designed to work the same way trebles do, hooking the fish incidentally when he grabs the jig from the side.

But then again, I fish bait, so don't listen to me.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #8
taggermike

Changing out a treble to a single on a surface iron can change the action. But on heavy irons it's not usually noticeable.

Singles are easier on the fish for C&R.
Trebles are safer for you if the fish ends up thrashing in your lap while your kayaking.

If its a lighter jig that has a top and bottom rigging a double hook to ride up, like a wax wing, can get you over kelp with out snagging.

Experiment and see what works.

I bit of hard learned advise is don't use cheap or fresh water strength hooks for any salt water jigs. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
dpricenator

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses. I wasn't able to get out this weekend, but hopefully later in the week.