Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #41
Jimm H

Thanks for the comments

I haven't looked at the Hobies in a couple of years, and it sounds like they have addressed the rod storage and turning radius problems some.

Is it quick enough to ride in in front of a breaking wave? Without the paddle, how do you lean into a wavefront on landing if the wave turns you sideways? Not having operated one in the surf line, I would be interested to know.

As for the 6 mile sprint comment, I would "suspect" my 19' rib would be faster than your peddle power over a 6 mile sprint. When was the last time you sprinted 6 miles in your Hobie?

Realistically, kayak fishing speed is most useful getting in and out of the surf, and sprinting short distances like to a boil. Trolling speeds are well below your kayak hull rating, and most guys don't really hump it to get to the reserve line in either platform. Efficient paddle stroke can really diminish the peddle power's advantage.

So, hands-free operation seems the best reason to consider one... and that is truely a big advantage.

From all the input, I would have to consider a Hobie if I were in the market for a newer kayak.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #42
bentmywookie

I found I can turn in a pretty tight radius from a stand still in my revo (with stock finns and rudder) if I turn the rudder completely over and do little baby kicks, exactly the opposite of the stoke you would use in shallow water. The mirage fins stay down and have the most drag allowing the yak to turn quicker.
bentmywookie is offline   Reply With Quote