Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
fresh to salt

Sad Day in LJ - Lost Mirage Drive

Made it to LJ this morning at 615 to decent launch conditions. After loading up all my crap, I watched a few sets of waves and launched to 2-3 footers. After making it through (or so I thought) one last wave built up... The nose of the kayak punched through just enough but the wave over the top slammed me hard enough to cause me to lose my balance and I capsize... Damn it! First time for everything I guess. In my head I thought, "Good thing I have everything tethered down.". Only it was not to be.

After righting my kayak and pushing my bait tank and three rods back onto the stern of the kayak, I look around to see my mini cooler floating behind me and all of its contents floating around it. I quickly pick everything up and toss it back into the kayak and I look up to find myself in the middle of the surf zone. I continue to get worked but a few waves but look in my kayak and realize my mirage drive is gone! Only the paracord line connected to my kayak.

I then proceeded to drag my kayak and all of its contents back onto the beach next to onlookers and walk back out to search for my mirage drive. After an hour of searching, I walked up to one of the kayak rental shops and rented a wetsuit, mask and snorkel. Two hours of snorkelling yielded no results. I packed all of my crap onto my car and after one last, longing, look at the surf zone, I drove back home to Menifee with my tail wrapped firmly between my legs... Long story short, if anyone happens to find a mirage drive with Gray and Black turbo fins, they are most likely mine... The conditions out there looked great today! I hope everyone out there had a better day than I did! Definitely not the day I wanted to have back out on the water...

If anyone happens to come across my mirage drive, my number is 402-301-4246 and my name is Matt. Thanks...
fresh to salt is offline   Reply With Quote