Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #41
Dannowar

2 pages and no one said johnnybass?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #42
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
2 pages and no one said johnnybass?
Well you beat me to it........well played sir
Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #43
yakman619
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yota4runner View Post
Can anyone tell me exactly what type of bass this is? I can't tell the difference between calico, sand and kelp bass. I caught this off the Dana Point jetty in the sheltered side by dragging a small/medium white chatter bait through the weeds. Got out of my hand as I was trying to take the pic albeit I pinned it down haha. I was using my bass setup for big bear cause I was getting bored of sitting. Everyone on the jetty was looking at me like I was an idiot cause they were all using cut or live bait. Attachment 11708
Looks like a sand bass banged a spotty
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #44
Iceman
Administrator

sand bass that has lived on a rocky reef, just like the spotties you pull from the rocks look different from the ones you pull from the grass......sorry I could not think of a smart ass comment...........oh wait I just did.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #45
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
sand bass that has lived on a rocky reef, just like the spotties you pull from the rocks look different from the ones you pull from the grass......sorry I could not think of a smart ass comment...........oh wait I just did.
Iceman, let's get back on subject. Your comment about ass was off topic .Regardless of it being smart. Let's stick to bASS
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #46
MrPatrick

I'm going with a spottie/sand bass hybrid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #47
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
I'm going with a spottie/sand bass hybrid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hybrid
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #48
87yota4runner

So, say it were a hybrid, what would dfg measure it as? Or do all 3 have the same requirements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #49
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
So, say it were a hybrid, what would dfg measure it as? Or do all 3 have the same requirements?

All 14"
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #50
87yota4runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
All 14"

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #51
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

A 14" yellow eyed brown trout would be quite an impressive hybrid.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #52
chxh8me

You are all wrong, and should be ashamed of yourself.

That is clearly a kern river squawfish.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #53
solyluna

Looks like hybrid (not Toyota )
Sanbass & bay bass
And yes calico taste better
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #54
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Nope. You guys have it all wrong. It's one of them climate change fishes that the eco nazi's are protectin.

Cheers
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #55
tattuna

That's just a regular old barred sandbass. Never heard of a sandbass/baybass hybrid, but I'd love to see one. Better yet a spottie/calico hybrid. That would be a big mean bass! Proper name for a spottie is a spotted sand bass.

There's also a parrot sandbass found in the Sea of Cortez that has the same body and nearly the same fins of a regular sandie with some pretty funky colors and patterns.

And also the gold spotted sandbass in the SOC. Real common and delicious meat.

The only hybrid (saltwater) bass I've heard of is a sandie/calico (Sandico). Fairly common in the SM Bay-LB area. These are good examples..

I caught an interesting looking sandie last Fall off of PV. Sent it to a marine biologist friend and he thinks it's a sandico, but I still think it's just a funky colored reef dwelling sandie since it still has the same body and fin configuration of a sandbass, but you'd probably have to do some dna tests to find out for sure. Either way pretty interesting, especially the blue pelvic and anal fins.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #56
dorado50

The bass in picture#2 are commonly referred to as "pinto bass" on the SOC
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 AM   #57
Jimmyz123

Quote:

Are the Freshwater bass still legal at 12" or did they go up to 14" also? I haven't checked the freshwater regs since I've been fishing Saltwater the last 3 years.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #58
Fishwhisperer619

All three bass are at 14". But I believe freshwater bass are still at 12". Don't quote me on that
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #59
87yota4runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Are the Freshwater bass still legal at 12" or did they go up to 14" also? I haven't checked the freshwater regs since I've been fishing Saltwater the last 3 years.

Yes all freshwater bass are defined as black bass and a 12" 5 fish limit applies(unless you somehow found some in a stream, river, canal, or a fully private lake/pond, in that case there is no size limit' but still a 5 fish limit)
Freshwater bass just dont have enough room or time in the water to get huge out here in cali, just too many people. Ive never caught a largemouth in big bear, only smallmouth, same with lake arrowhead. I did see a guy who lugged out an 8lb largemouth in silverwood by bouncing a jig from the shore back to his boat right on the side of the main fishing dock by the loading ramp. I had seriously fished that spot from the shore for like an hour without a single bite. I guess casting towards the shore is really what triggers the bite.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #60
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Can anyone tell me exactly what type of bass this is? I can't tell the difference between calico, sand and kelp bass.

It's a hybrid. It's a either a cross between a calico and a spotted bay bass or a calico and a sand bass.

Sand Bass and Spotted bay bass are actually really closely related, as they are essentially the same fish but one is adapted to shallow inshore waters like bays and the other is adapted for open water.

Look at the dorsal fin, gill plate and eyes and you can see that even though the color pattern is not the same structurally those fish are almost identical. Also there a few spots on the face not as Many as with the spotty but they are there on young sandbass.

Sand bass will come into bays, but they still go out into open water and school up into large groups to spawn. Spotted bay bass stay in bays year round and no longer school up or spawn in open water. They still interbreed but it's rare because they now have different spawning behavior.

Color wise they have a lot of variation but generally spotties are much darker and heavily spotted where sandbass have few spots as adults even when they show darker markings.

Calicos or Kelp bass are a completely different fish.

Notice there's a difference in the fins and the shape of the head. The point of the gill plate is lower, and generally with kelp bass the color pattern is the same (same check spots in the same places) even if there is a big difference in their age or size.

Calicos can vary in color and are often darker when found in rocks or kelp.
but the basic markings of a purebred calico are almost always that same check pattern.

Like I said your fish is probably a hybrid as Kelp bass can interbreed with both Sand bass and spotted bay bass. Most likely just from the color pattern facial spots I'd say it's a cross between a Calico and a spotted bay bass, but the deal with hybrids is recessive genes can pop up and it could easily be a Calico sandbass hybrid.

Here's your fish again:

It would be easier if you could see the fins but from what's there: The spots on the face suggest it's part spotty or Sand bass and the three very distinct light colored blotches on the tail are roughly in the same place they would be on a Kelp or Calico bass. Sandbass have light bands but the are not as defined and do not go as far back towards the tail. The gill point has features of both fish. It's sharper like a sandbass or spotty but it's lower like with a Calico

Calicos do not have facial spots, sandbass and spotties do not have checks. I'd say the spots and checks together suggest that the fish is a hybrid.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 03-04-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote