Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
JrBasser

Fishing Spectra/Dacron

So I have white dacron on my reel, my frist question is how long of a topshot would you use on this? This is for fishing bait in la jolla. I figured only a few feet so that the line could cut the kelp, but will the white line slow down the bites? Also, for trolling rapalas, would you tie straight to the lure?
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Are you sure it's dacron or is it spectra? Dacron is a lot thicker than spectra. Anyhow, if it is spectra, use anywhere from 3' to 6'. Some people tie directly to the spectra for Rapalas... But remember, there is no going back on a big fish with line that strong on a 20/25/30 lb rated rod. Just make sure your drag is set right and hold on....
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
JrBasser

It's 50 pound izorline dacron. Thanks for the tips Nate. Will the white color matter much?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
madscientist

I always use a leader, 10-20ft or so to start with, replacing when it gets down to 4 or 5. With a 3ft leader you need to retie after a couple of lost hooks or chaffed line. White is not a problem. Color it with a marker if you are worried. Most of the kelp cutting occurs while the fish is running.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
With a 3ft leader you need to retie after a couple of lost hooks or chaffed line.
Good point...
Old 06-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I use a 3-6' leader and have to retie often. The knots are easy once you get used to it. The only time it really becomes an issue is when you are hooking stuff left and right. After every fish I usually cut the leader down and retie the hook. Almost every fish you catch will chew on the line, or it's body will hit the line and nick it. This makes the line way more visible, and much weaker. After every zing reel in and check to make sure a cuda didn't just miss your bait and chew up your leader.

Of course everyone has different preferences on how they do things like this.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Mr_PeaCH

Just to clarify:

Leader on the spectra for presenting bait. Is Flouro always preferred? Hey Brad, with 10 - 20 foot of leader on, how do you arrange for a weighted low bait presentation on this setup?

Reaction bite situations, straight spectra to lure or looong topshot of mono for casting? Thoughts, preferences?

Myself, I only have a couple of rigs where I'm fishing straight spectra and they are on bass/rockfish rigs. And even then I tie a leader on (mono) for rockfishing deep. I'd like to consider more ways to fish spectra more often.
Mr_PeaCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_PeaCH View Post
with 10 - 20 foot of leader on, how do you arrange for a weighted low bait presentation on this setup?
I don't know how Brad does it but they make things called Carolina keepers. Check them out...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
JrBasser

I think I may have to check out the carolina keepers too, the swivel and 2 extra knots scares me
Old 06-30-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
spooky007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
I don't know how Brad does it but they make things called Carolina keepers. Check them out...
Ditto on the carolina keepers!! I try not to use a swive if I dont have to!!

Al
spooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
Matt
Support your local pangas

I generally use a uni to uni knot to connect my flyline to my leader of roughly 6-8 feet. I use a halibut slider on my bottom rig also tied with a uni to uni and have yet to have a knot fail. Even with multiple larger toothy fellas pulling on my flyline the uni stood up just fine for the 3 in a row I got one day (only 2 landed) I definitely check the leader and always retie my hook after every fish.

Just my own 2 cents that is only worth a penny.

Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #12
madscientist

If I am keyed on trolling a hi-lo combo I'll use an egg sinker, but even then I like to have a bit of mono or flouro before the swivel. I seem to get less tangles when the swivel is tied to mono or flouro rather than spectra. If I'm using the low rig for both low trolling and dragging bottom then I prefer a slider clip so I can adjust the weight to match the troll/drift. Again, straight spectra to the swivel will work but I prefer a leader in front...less twist ups. I also like to have leaders long enough so that the line to leader knot is at least through the rod tip, if not on the reel, when I have a fish close to gaff. I feel the worst thing is to have the uni to uni sitting right against the tip as you try to maneuver the fish to gaff.

But what do I know, probably better to listen to brinkman.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #13
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

But what do I know, probably better to listen to brinkman.
Don't listen to me.. All I catch is dogs

Shoulda seen what I did last night. I lost one of the last two hooks on my sabiki so I pulled the last one out of my tackle box and tied it on with a jimijig on the bottom. About ten minutes later I see some big spalshes about 100yds away and cast an iron on it only to see my iron and sabiki go flying, a spectra birds nest in my reel and no bait in my tank...

Moral of the story, I just think I know what I'm doing..

Last edited by nmbrinkman; 07-01-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
Don't listen to me.. All I catch is dogs
Those things pull hard!
Old 07-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
JrBasser

I was asking this for my torium thats spooled with dacron, and the drag that was offered for free replacement that I never did broke one of the discs in the drag actually snapped and my drag doesnt work at all.