Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
King Saba

Lowrance fish finder wires waterproof?

This is probably going to be a stupid question, but are the transducer and battery wires waterproof when not connected to the unit as in? I'm debating on taking apart my portable FF set-up and mounting it on my kayak.

Cleaning the unit and everything else after my trips is what I'm concerned about. I usually like to blast all my stuff with a hose and be done with it. No hand drying with a towel.

I'm referring to the connecting portion of the wire in the yellow circle.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:01 AM   #2
Basshole619
Junior

I don't know if they are waterproof so
I usually unplug and hold the wire with the connecter facing down and just rinse with fresh water and a quick dry. I've splashed it while rinsing but it still works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basshole619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:33 AM   #3
Fishin' Magician

After I'm done fishing, I try to remember to put the little rubber covers over the plugs before I wash it down. Sometimes I forget to do that, but so far have not had any problems (knock on wood). But after I've done all of my clean up, I take the covers off and then spray WD 40 on them before putting the covers back on. I do that to the FF as well. I also have some dielectric grease that I've put on there, so between the two, I think that it prevents corrosion pretty well from the salt water.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #4
Fishin Phil

Buy a tube of Dielectric Silicone Compound. It's about ten bucks but it will keep your connectors from getting corrosion on them. I would not rinse the connector because water and electricity do not mix. Besides salt water will not damage the outside of the plug. Reapply as needed and it will keep your wire connector and fish finder connector in top condition.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
King Saba

I've been reading about the dielectric grease. I'll try that out as a safety measure. Thanks.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote