Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
goldenglory18

eBay auction not as advertised - negotiate or return?

All,

New reel(s) day just turned sour. I opened the USPS box, expecting to see two new-in-box Penn Squall 30LD's, and then I was let down. Not only were the two reels used, not adequately represented in the pictures (side plate and frame abrasions) and obviously misrepresented, but they absolutely reek of old cigarette smoke.

So, I politely email the seller and ask for a refund. He apologies, tells me it was an honest mistake :eyeroll: and says he will follow up tomorrow. The next day (today,) he sends me an offer.

Original final bid/sale price: $209
Counter offer in lieu of return: $125

The reels seem to be in fine operating condition, but I'd want to get them serviced just in case, as well as attempt to get the nasty smell out of them before they get spooled up. They do both have the clamps and wrench included, and I'm pretty sure the paperwork was in the box(es) as well.

So...thoughts on the subject? He seems amicable, so if I really don't want these it sounds like its a full refund waiting. BUT, I'm also a sucker for a deal. If $125 isn't a steal for these two reels, then what price is? At what point would this be an economically must-do deal? Also, how much would reels like this costs to service? I have to take that into consideration as its a must-do before they are deemed usable to me.

Thanks all....

- Kenny
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Saba Slayer

Blem...?

Blem...?
LOL...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
bolocop

The old bait and switch. In this case, I think you have to pay return shipping in order for the refund. So that has to factor in.

If it's an honest mistake, have him send you the new in box reels. Then pay to return the used reels. Otherwise, it's not an honest mistake, is it?

I would return the reels myself. Take video of you packaging the return. This guy sounds shady. Document everything through eBay including emails.

If you do decide to keep the reels, good luck to you.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Blem...?
LOL...
Hahaha, thanks Jim. These two sellers are about the same on the honesty scale, that's for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
The old bait and switch. In this case, I think you have to pay return shipping in order for the refund. So that has to factor in.
He's offered to pay the return shipping.

Quote:
If it's an honest mistake, have him send you the new in box reels. Then pay to return the used reels. Otherwise, it's not an honest mistake, is it?
He claims it was someone else finishing off his listing for him and just did a poor job. Not sure how much of that I believe (I dont) but whatever. I asked and there are no "New in Box" reels available.

Quote:
I would return the reels myself. Take video of you packaging the return. This guy sounds shady. Document everything through eBay including emails.

If you do decide to keep the reels, good luck to you.
Thankfully I am documenting everything via ebay. If I go through the refund process, I have all of my geese in a line.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Thankfully I am documenting everything via ebay. If I go through the refund process, I have all of my geese in a line.
DUCKS... this pet peeved me soooo much not even sure why.

worse than the word moist.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

It's like say'n a turtle in the hand is worth 2 in the pond.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
DUCKS... this pet peeved me soooo much not even sure why.

Ducks in a row
Geese in a line
Turkeys in a queue
Swans in an isle

I can do this shit all day.......
Old 05-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
Dave Legacy

$125 sounds like a pretty good deal on some reels that you’ll probably rash up anyway and won’t hold on to a smoke smell.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
$125 sounds like a pretty good deal on some reels that you’ll probably rash up anyway and won’t hold on to a smoke smell.
I was thinking the same thing, but there is too much great gear out there now to waste the $$ on suspect stuff.

FWIW, I've opted to send them back. I'll update the thread if anything interesting comes up...
Old 05-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

It was his offer as a resolution to your issue. If you would rather have the reel for $125, then keep it. Otherwise get a full refund and buy something else.

If a buyer wanted to negotiate with me after a sale closed, I would think I'm being scammed by a dickhead.

On this one it sounds like you are in the drivers seat to do as you wish.

EDIT: yep, I just read your post above. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post

Hey!
Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
kentobin
Junior

Quote:
I went through something similar a few months ago. Do not pay one cent for shipping. The seller is required to pay it. Make sure all your correspondence is through the ebay messenger. ebay's customer service sent me a prepaid mailing label. They told me if I spent my own money on shipping they might be unable to get me a refund on that.

As soon as the seller was informed that ebay was looking into the transaction he became quite motivated to do the right thing and I got a full refund, including shipping.

This seller had hundreds of transactions and an excellent rating. When I had problems with the item I couldn't believe he admitted he had taken the product apart, put it back together, and then had the audacity to sell it as new with some cosmetic damage acquired during shipping.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #13
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but there is too much great gear out there now to waste the $$ on suspect stuff.

FWIW, I've opted to send them back. I'll update the thread if anything interesting comes up...
If you buy new, you get new. If yo buy used it will always be SUSPECT. Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote