Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
PapaDave

DSI imaging

Is anyone using the DSI models on their yaks? I am thinking of getting one but want to know if they do okay for ocean and yak fishing.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
TJones

ya i grabbed one

i got a pretty good deal on one from internet . hummingbird 898 si . one thing i must let you know , with side imaging , the transducer must be in the water with nothing blocking it. i installed it using madfrog sys. one negative is that it creates noticable drag. the transducer is a lot bigger that most. i mounted it well in front of peddles. it can be installed possibly on rudder, but it may take more abuse . i also read it may want to weathercock the yak. i am still new with reading and understanding the fishfinder in general. needless to say great unit. smaller screen might be a little more appropiate. but it is a nice image . i am using 10 a to run it. hopefully i can use it to see yellow blowing up next to me. i think i paid about 1300 for unit at christmas . runs for about 1400 or 1500. ouch. goodluck. pm if anymore ?s
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDCh View Post
Is anyone using the DSI models on their yaks? I am thinking of getting one but want to know if they do okay for ocean and yak fishing.

Would I be correct that DSI is in down scan imaging (I think the first reply to you spoke of side imaging)? If so, check out the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI. FYI, this thing draws ALOT of juice compared to normal sonars mounted on kayaks (.75 aH). Get yourself a 10aH battery if you go this route.

Secondly, when you visit sites that say, "Our unit is capable of depths of up to blah blah blah...", keep in mind that the figures they come up with are from testing in fresh water, not saltwater. You will lose a decent percentage of that stated depth in saltwater.

The technology is awesome, though, to say the least.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
fishingfiend

I picked up the Humminbird 597 ci di hd at the FHS, so I'm still figuring the down imaging out. So far it works in both the fresh and salt and I've been able to see some structure better. I've been cruising around in split screen mode to compare and good thing I've got regular sonar too! DI does show a better picture of the bottom, but not very good at showing fish so far. Good thing I went with the Humminbird that has both, while the lowrance 5 dsi only has DSI. If that's all I had, I would be bummed. I definitely need more seat time with my FF, but so far I'm enjoying the second perspective on what's below. If you're into data/conditions and can afford to add DI and/or SI, do it! I geek out on the meter when fishing is slow.

This is a shot from the Vine last weekend to better show what I'm describing.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
TJones

my bad

. do you recommend using fish id on or off? i noticed it on in the picture.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
TJones

had 587 ci combo

di well worth it. you can litterally see you jig dropping down , without down imaging i was not able to see that. that could be a good thing for the
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
fishingfiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I'm still trying to confirm what is being seen on the traditional sonar vs the down imaging. Having the fishid on for now helps me to compare what's being metered. Soon I'll have it turned off looking for boomerangs once I trust the data. Even though fishid is on, at least I turned off the audible alerts.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
blitzburgh

When you see "arches", those are actual fish. With Fish ID, sometimes it can just be any object in the water. When in doubt, run them both, I would not recommend running just Fish ID alone.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Most recommend turning the fish ID off so that you get better readings.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
di well worth it. you can litterally see you jig dropping down , without down imaging i was not able to see that. that could be a good thing for the
If you set your unit up correctly you should be able to see your jig dropping in any system. That's how you know if you see some images that you are putting your bait where it needs to be.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
I've never used DI / DSI personally, but I can see my jig dropping down on $99 sonar just fine. It's all about turning off the automatic settings and getting to know your sounder manually.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
kobra

Blitz has it right. Too much false returns on fish ID.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola_kiler View Post
I've never used DI / DSI personally, but I can see my jig dropping down on $99 sonar just fine. It's all about turning off the automatic settings and getting to know your sounder manually.
I agree with this. Set you sensitivity correctly and you should be able to see the jig. I use this when I am jigging, and drop shotting. If you're bouncing the bottom and see bait fish up higher you can pull your line up to those fish. Trick is to get fully dialed in with your ff.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 04-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
TJones

thx

spent big dollars on 587 . could not understand why i could not see jig. ? . like mentioned with id on , computer may get confused with trash or debris in water. thanks . i will check my settings. one last thing . can a side imaging transducer be mounted as to shoot thru hull?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
fishingfiend

Quote:
can a side imaging transducer be mounted as to shoot thru hull?
The Humminbird and Lowrance SI transducers require an unobstructed view and thru hull applications are not advised. The reps for both companies confirmed this at FHS.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
Mobsan

Aren't the depths limited to around 200' with DSI? I think I may just go with the Lowrance Elite 5 combo. Anyone want to comment on that model?
Mobsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobsan View Post
Aren't the depths limited to around 200' with DSI? I think I may just go with the Lowrance Elite 5 combo. Anyone want to comment on that model?
Just like my Elite 4 combo, only bigger. Should be a great unit with loads of great customizable features.