Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Caseym

Thanksgiving White Shark

Keeping it short...
Thursday 1:45
San Onofre, end of the dirt road
250 yds out, 25 ft of crystal clear water
Trolling sandy bottom for halibut
Clicker goes off, then stops
Turned around, saw a sea lion 4 feet behind the yak.
Did a double take, realized it was a shark
It turned broadside as it swam behind me and then cruised away, about 6-7 foot great white, just below the surface, clear as day!
Paddled in, changed shorts.
Didnt bother to tell my 6 year old, who was laying on his back on the Ocean Kayaks Rod Pod.
Regained my nerve, went back out yesterday, 2 hrs, GoPro ready...nada.
Just be aware, hes there.
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Super common seeing them there, luckily the smaller ones. I have had a couple times seeing them but not clearly. 2 weeks ago one of the kayak fisherman said he saw one. Chuck Patterson's video from a few years back.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Caseym

Yup, I remember seeing that video when it first broke. A few guys including my brother in-law were all telling me later "oh you saw Fluffy!" Fitting name. I dont really know if its smart, but I went back out and will again in the future. Its one of those weird things where you just want to stare at it, but your subconscious is screaming "Run to live another day!" The water was so clear we could see sand ripples in 30 feet. Tiny swell made for unreal conditions, bait everywhere. A free-diver came in with 4 lobsters and a legal (speared) halibut, all pulled from The Point and south, 20 feet or less.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
gunghosd
Let's Do This!

Sweet Video!

finbomb.com

Don't hate me, Just my humble opinion
Tight lines my fishing brothers
gunghosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
SorryCharlie

I was diving San O on Thanksgiving morning. I wasn't the diver you saw, as I was out of the water around 11:30. The life out there was awesome, ended up taking two (6 and 9lb) sheepies. Saw a few nice leopard sharks, all sorts of perch everywhere, bait schools all over, and some nice groups of sheepies.

The vis was the best is has been there all year from what I remember and it would have been awesome to see "fluffy". Every time I dive there I am just waiting for him to come on by, have a feeling I may need a new wetsuit after seeing him in the water tho...
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Caseym

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
I was diving San O on Thanksgiving morning. I wasn't the diver you saw, as I was out of the water around 11:30. The life out there was awesome, ended up taking two (6 and 9lb) sheepies. Saw a few nice leopard sharks, all sorts of perch everywhere, bait schools all over, and some nice groups of sheepies.

The vis was the best is has been there all year from what I remember and it would have been awesome to see "fluffy". Every time I dive there I am just waiting for him to come on by, have a feeling I may need a new wetsuit after seeing him in the water tho...
Ya, it'll make you re-think the whole "food-chain" hierarchy for sure! There were 2 or 3 divers out each day. One guy was towing around an orange buoy. Don't know that I've ever seen anyone diving san o' before. Is that a normal target for you or was it just conditions driven? Seems like there'd be tons of targets hiding in all that grass.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
SorryCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Ya, it'll make you re-think the whole "food-chain" hierarchy for sure! There were 2 or 3 divers out each day. One guy was towing around an orange buoy. Don't know that I've ever seen anyone diving san o' before. Is that a normal target for you or was it just conditions driven? Seems like there'd be tons of targets hiding in all that grass.
San O is one of my favorite places to dive, not just because of the target species you can nail in shallow water (less then 15 ft), but because of the awesome life and overall ecosystem there. Mostly I go after sheepshead and halibut there, when the conditions are decent. There are massive schools or perch, sargo, etc. that cruise the reef area, but I'm not really interested in them, just cool to swim with them.

This last weekend was some of the best (if not the best) diving conditions we have had in SC this year, which would explain the reason you were seeing so many divers.

If you ever see me out there feel free to swing on by and say high, just please don't be casting any lures/bait towards me (or any diver for that matter)..... not only for safety, but I have had buddies miss chances on nice wsb (40+ lb) because H&L guys would cast there jigs at them (I'm guessing to get there attention to say hi) and scare fish right in front of them......
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
tacmik

A free-diver came in with 4 lobsters and a legal (speared) halibut, all pulled from The Point and south, 20 feet or less.

Hmmm. lobster fishing with a spear gun. Thought it was illegal to have a spear gun while lobster fishing, even if not used to get bugs.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
VINNYC
VINNY

Good thing it wasn't bigger and hungry, I have been in those poopy pants. Glad your safe bro!!!
VINNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Dang the next time any of y'all go to san o let me know that's my favorite spot
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post

Hmmm. lobster fishing with a spear gun. Thought it was illegal to have a spear gun while lobster fishing, even if not used to get bugs.
It's not illegal. Regs, state no hooked device can be used.....argument can be made that a flopper could be a hooked device...but no ones ever been hassled to that extreme....as long as there are no holes in your bugs. The new regs coming out soon are written to be more clear about this.
It's kinda inefficient to try to do both....but if you're in a good hali spot, not a bad idea.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
captnblood34

Right on
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #13
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

When did they start calling sparky "fluffy"?