Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
stone
Junior

Surf Fisher wanting to Yak

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and looking for a little info. I have been surf fishing for 3 or 4 years now and want to get further out on the water. I'm looking for places that demo/rent fishing kayaks in the Ventura/LA County area. Does anyone have any places in mind? Also, looking for someone experienced to go out with for safety and learning. I've kayaked a few times in the harbor and quite a bit in lakes. Just never fished while kayaking.
stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
Denis_Ruso

Your best bet is to drive out to Orange County OEX, I think the closest is Huntington beach and demo their fishing kayaks in the harbor. They will have the best selection for you to try and they can offer great advise as well. Will be worth the drive!

Once you get the kayak and try the harbor a few times then maybe one of the guys here will take you out for some real fishing.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
stone
Junior

Thanks for the information. I'll head down there and hopefully get out on the water.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone View Post
Thanks for the information. I'll head down there and hopefully get out on the water.
I know this is way out of your way, but Fastlane Sailing in Mission Bay is probably one of the best Hobie retailers out there. Ron (The owner) and his sons are incredibly helpful. Awesome dudes. If you are looking to buy, I highly recommend going to see them.

If you are looking for a good fishing guide to get you up and running, Capt. Wade is fantastic. He spends a lot of time with you before hitting the water to review and talk about equipment and strategy. On the water, he is great about showing you techniques, locations, and what to look for. Wade is also San Diego, but again, VERY worth the drive.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

OEX is the great people of this site, js...
Old 07-23-2016, 05:37 AM   #6
Fishin' Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Your best bet is to drive out to Orange County OEX, I think the closest is Huntington beach and demo their fishing kayaks in the harbor. They will have the best selection for you to try and they can offer great advise as well. Will be worth the drive!

Once you get the kayak and try the harbor a few times then maybe one of the guys here will take you out for some real fishing.
X2. Andy and the guys at OEX will get you set up to test fishing kayaks of all types, makes and models. WARNING...., you will get addicted!
Old 07-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
stone
Junior

I'm going to head to OEX this week. I'll let everyone know what I end up going with. Then I'll probably ask for some of you experienced guys to take me under your wing for a few trips!
Old 07-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #8
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Check out Malibu Surf Shack(just s/o Malibu Pier) they rent kayaks and you can launch s/o the pier.
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #9
jbl_91762

OP make sure you get a Hobie Mirage Drive. I wish I could get one but cant due to my back. I got caught today at Dana Point Headlands with headwinds to fight back to harbor and it was grueling with a paddle. We had a head start way ahead of the last Yak out there and 3/4 of way back he passes right by us with his PA14 which weights a ton, but has a Mirage drive and he was gone!!! I may try OEX again and rent one with the better seat and maybe that may not hurt by back. If not, Im putting a damn trolling motor on my yak...just saying.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
On-The-Prowl
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
OP make sure you get a Hobie Mirage Drive. I wish I could get one but cant due to my back. I got caught today at Dana Point Headlands with headwinds to fight back to harbor and it was grueling with a paddle. We had a head start way ahead of the last Yak out there and 3/4 of way back he passes right by us with his PA14 which weights a ton, but has a Mirage drive and he was gone!!! I may try OEX again and rent one with the better seat and maybe that may not hurt by back. If not, Im putting a damn trolling motor on my yak...just saying.
LOL,

If your getting smoked by a dude in a PA 14 while your paddling, then you should reevaluate what your doing wrong
On-The-Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #11
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-The-Prowl View Post
LOL,

If your getting smoked by a dude in a PA 14 while your paddling, then you should reevaluate what your doing wrong
Unless he is a real consistent paddler then fighting wind or current and the outback should be able to pass him. I can paddle pretty quick but there is still time when the paddle isn't in the water and against current or wind it slows down some compared to a peddle boat. My problem now is I caused a flare up of an old rotater cuff injury and I can feel it if I'm paddling hard. I know I'm heading for a peddle boat eventually
Old 07-24-2016, 06:00 AM   #12
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-The-Prowl View Post
LOL,

I know one thing wrong for sure, stock paddle needs to go and will be purchasing a Werner CF or similar asap.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote