Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

Cool Malibu Stealth 14 Additions

Hello there, I recently purchased a new Stealth 14 and will be doing shopping to purchase accessories for such! I am going to get a nice Bilge Pump, Aerator Kit to plumb the live well, LED lights for the Bow/Stern, Lowrence Elite 5 50/200 FF and possibly other things..(was there any Yak' necessary item I missed?)

I am posting this because I need help trying to find the best place to take it for these modifications (as I am a college student funds are limited, and I am Completely new to the Kayak Scene :/) I hear OEX is really good, as well, the Malibu Warehouse in Paramount is excellent as well..

I know auto shops will rip' you out the behind if they can, however is it the same in the Yak' business? Where should I take my Stealth for these mod's; somewhere I will be appreciated as a customer, not a moneybag, or should I just really read up on all of the mod's and do them myself?
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
TheBoyScout

Do them yourself. I'm in college also and love to save money. They have hundreds YouTube videos for how to! I just installed my elite 5 today. At some point you'll have to fix your own kayak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

If you buy your parts from andy or OEX, ask them... they may just install it for you. You could install yourself if you have the tools and the know how.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
stevie951
Lurker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
Do them yourself. I'm in college also and love to save money. They have hundreds YouTube videos for how to! I just installed my elite 5 today. At some point you'll have to fix your own kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
If you buy your parts from andy or OEX, ask them... they may just install it for you. You could install yourself if you have the tools and the know how.

Scout- I Have the cajones, but just drilling a perfectly good hole into my baby :/

Ful Rac- I am no carpenter/handy man what so ever, I Mean, I ride a Suzuki Street bike and change my own oil, But any other heavy duty lifting needed (carb cleaning etc.) I def. take it in, I know when I am in over my head..

That said,, are these mods ALLL something I can read up enough an do on my own or am I going to want to take it in on the long run for safety reasons (I TRUST MY WORK, BUT DON'T WE ALLL?
Old 02-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
jorluivil

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT use an aerator pump in your bait tank, plumb it so that you are getting a constant flow of fresh water into your tank. The bait that you catch aren't like the gold fish that they give away at the carnival, limiting fresh water will make them go belly up pretty quick.

As far as led lights go, what's the purpose? If it's for night time fishing you're better off investing in a quality head lamp and a light stick, these will make you far more visible that adding led lights to your deck.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
TheBoyScout

You can do it on your own bro!!! I swear. I don't know crap about doing stuff on my own until I started trying. Yeah you're gonna mess up sometimes but that's how you learn.

TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
stevie951
Lurker

Cool Got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT use an aerator pump in your bait tank, plumb it so that you are getting a constant flow of fresh water into your tank. The bait that you catch aren't like the gold fish that they give away at the carnival, limiting fresh water will make them go belly up pretty quick.

As far as led lights go, what's the purpose? If it's for night time fishing you're better off investing in a quality head lamp and a light stick, these will make you far more visible that adding led lights to your deck.

Ok, duly noted (Now I feel like a noob :/) or should I say the Noob I am lol...Seriously, thank you for saving me for future regret #1 What kind of pump is it that you use to plumb the Stealth 14, or any other live well?

Last edited by stevie951; 02-18-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
Ok, duly noted (Now I feel like a noob :/) or should I say the Noob I am lol... What kind of pump is it that you use to plumb the Stealth 14, or any other live well?

The most common one is the tsunami pump, it comes in two styles, one is used to hang over the kayak and the other fits in your bait tank, both have their pros and cons. Is a bait tank something you can make at home? Definitely! If you don't have the know how I'm sure OEX can set you up with one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-02-18-16-50-00-1.jpg (22.6 KB, 125 views)

Old 02-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
jpp9565

Do it!

Hey I'm pretty mechanical but not always a jack of all trades. Like the others said, do your research, always lay out your work and like the old saying"measure twice- cut once!" I have been really surprised at some of the things I've fixed or repaired. Just take your time and I'm sure you'll do great! Also ask these guys on BWE. Lots of really good guys that are happy to help out! Good luck! Jim
jpp9565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #10
stevie951
Lurker

Cool Confidence building and at 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp9565 View Post
Hey I'm pretty mechanical but not always a jack of all trades. Like the others said, do your research, always lay out your work and like the old saying"measure twice- cut once!" I have been really surprised at some of the things I've fixed or repaired. Just take your time and I'm sure you'll do great! Also ask these guys on BWE. Lots of really good guys that are happy to help out! Good luck! Jim
JORLUIVIL - Thank you very much for this information, greatly appreciated..

And JPP. got cha, so I know these Mods' require the electric drill to create the holes for the wire and what not to channel to the battery, What are those drill bit things that go onto the drill and create circles called, or should I say what are these drill bit attachments called?
Old 02-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
cris

Quote:
JORLUIVIL - Thank you very much for this information, greatly appreciated..

And JPP. got cha, so I know these Mods' require the electric drill to create the holes for the wire and what not to channel to the battery, What are those drill bit things that go onto the drill and create circles called, or should I say what are these drill bit attachments called?

Hole saw? Although for most smaller things I'd probably use a regular drill bit.

I also strongly second jpp9565's comment to measure twice and cut once. You can also practice on scrap plastic before drilling into your kayak. Your workmanship will increase with practice.

Good luck and post some pics!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #12
jrip
Water dog

Hi Stevie,
I have an X-13 and these SOT yaks don't take on water so the bilge pump isn't really necessary. I use an X wing and would recommend it for the Malibu. If you add as you go, you'll personalize your boat. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #13
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
What kind of pump is it that you use to plumb the Stealth 14, or any other live well?
You should probably get the KFS Stealth Pump Kit

Quote:
What are those drill bit things that go onto the drill and create circles called...
Have Andy install it for you.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe

Last edited by alanw; 02-18-2016 at 06:15 PM.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
GeauxFish

YouTube Malibu stealth installations and you get the bait tank aerator set up, fish finder how to, and others I'm sure. Paddle bits are cheaper than hole saw bits and work fine. Just research and you can do it all with basic tools. However, on the bait tank set up, don't just drill the holes thru the inserts as shown in video. It doesn't allow enough drainage which will cause water to come out the lid and go into side bins and into kayak. Instead take out insert and Goop a piece of screen over area so water flows out front side thru scuppers. Good luck
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #15
jorluivil

I guess I should ask but when you said aerator were you referring to the aerator that connects to the pump via the hose or were you walking about one of those aerators that go in the aquariums?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #16
Cbad Mike

SCREW THE PUMP!
If your on a tight budget spend your money on a FF.
I ride a Stealth and will tell you that a pump is nice but not really necessary. Just unscrew the plug in the bottom of the tank and fresh water will flow in. Granted you won't have as much water in your tank as you would if you had a pump but you will have enough to keep 6-9 Mack's alive.
Trust me... The pump is not a necessity right now especially while on a small budget.
Good luck!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
2-Stix

make a bait tube instead of the pump for now. they work ok. get a good bait tank later.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #18
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
make a bait tube instead of the pump for now. they work ok. get a good bait tank later.
1. Bait tubes can be dangerous.
2. The Malibu Stealth has a built in bait tank.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:28 AM   #19
Fishin' Magician

I've got both a Stealth 12 as well as an X Factor. I had Andy at OEX install the pump on both and do all of the wiring. I also had them add the FF so that the electrical connections were all tied in correctly. I could have probably done these mods myself, but there are somethings where it might be best to get someone who really knows what they're doing to install them.

Other things like adding an anchor trolley system, rod holders, Ram ball mounts, etc..., you can easily do yourself.

Good luck with your new kayak and hope to see you on the water!

Tags
mods