Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Here's what you do - record that hammerhead with his teeth on your Bonito attached to your gameclip, then report it to the news

http://ktla.com/2015/09/17/video-cap...aA34zqjjMlR6yl

http://ktla.com/2015/09/17/video-cap...ff-dana-point/
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Mwhitcraft

I'm trying to be serious here. I don't plan on reporting anything to the news or doing anything to endanger our ability to fish. I'm just looking for some practical advice, so I don't become a hamburger for an aggressive shark. I do NOT believe that all shark sightings are dangerous, but I DO believe that sharks are vicious predators and should be treated as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Here's what you do - record that hammerhead with his teeth on your Bonito attached to your gameclip, then report it to the news

http://ktla.com/2015/09/17/video-cap...aA34zqjjMlR6yl

http://ktla.com/2015/09/17/video-cap...ff-dana-point/
Mwhitcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Harry Hill

Just nail the bastardramset.jpg
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

I was kidding. I would also never bring one of those on a kayak. Boat ? Maybe. The safety is pulling a rigid pin out and the spring on the end of the stick just need to have a certain amount of pressure to set off the round.

For a short time when I had just started out kayak fishing I was intimidated of the sharks out there. Now, I try to pull out the gopro and video them. And make sure the first thing I do is call channel 8 news and text them the video.

I'm going to say you have a greater likelihood of getting struck by lightening or dying in a plane crash. And what can you do? When your number gets called, there isn't a way to get out of it, no matter how it may happen.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
John Doe
8'6" Thresher - 20lb Mono

How about taking a stack of D-cell batteries, putting them in a mesh bag, tie a line to it & throwing it overboard??? Anyone ever tried that?

If that wouldn't do it get a Fido-Shock run the wire thru the water, turn it on high & I bet he never comes back
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Irishman

My experience about a month ago with Mr. big head was as follows...
Turn off all electronics, including intake to bait tank, swing transducer back into kayak, retrieve bait, communicate to nearby yakkers I have HH on my tail. Watch and no loose limbs in water, vhf secured to life jacket, paddle and enjoy the trip to another area of water
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
maquinapescado

Get your heaviest rod and biggest bait ready. Maybe you can train him to tow you to the secret spot.
maquinapescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
Mwhitcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Get your heaviest rod and biggest bait ready. Maybe you can train him to tow you to the secret spot.
That actually sounds pretty fun
Mwhitcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #9
bigbarrels

rub your mangina cream on in a semi-circular pattern, they hate it when it is applied like that. Then do what everyone else suggested

Last edited by bigbarrels; 09-10-2015 at 01:11 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #10
HobieScot

At least the life guard clarified how the treat the sightings.

If the shark is 8 feet or smaller and not displaying aggressive behavior then they will post warning signs. If the shark displays aggressive behavior then they will close the beach.

Either way these reports making their way to the news need to stop. They serve no beneficial purpose for any of us or to kayak fishing as a whole in our local waters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Shimano Penn
Junior

Cambria, Moonstone Beach, Leffingwell Launch, last summer. My first time ever in the ocean in a kayak. Solo. My "buddy" didn't show so I had to try it alone or bag it. Made the surf launch okay after watching three others do it. Half way to the kelp, not far offshore at all, BIG gws shows up. Just cruising by, showed no interest in me at all. It was awesome, magnificent really. I felt so lucky to be there. I just stopped paddling and drifted as he passed by. Of course if it were heading straight for me at full speed I might have soiled my shorts but it didn't, it just swam across my bow maybe 10-15 yards away. Not knowing any better I thought "So this is what ocean kayaking is like!" When I got back to the beach that afternoon F&W was there along with 15-20 onlookers, it had been sighted many times in the area all day long. Estimated at 20'.

I look at it this way, what are the odds I will ever in my life be that close to something like that again ? I'm safe now, right ?
Shimano Penn is offline   Reply With Quote