Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-05-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

Northern Exposure/Kenai Peninsula

Never did make it on the yak, looked into renting one, but time was working against me on this trip. Resurrection Bay was made to be yakked.

Soggy week, so I did not pull the camera our nearly enough. We fished for Salmon and trout around Seward. Pinks, Silvers, small Kings and Chums, and rainbows on Spoons spinners, flies and when they were not biting we snagged them. Fished the Russian River por nada. Not alot of sockeye in there and I lost my only one hooked, as it spit the fly after jumping. We did see some black bears, big cubs, pretty close, that was cool. We picked the best day to go for halibut, out of Ninilchik. The day before it was 40 kts and for us it was dead calm and even a little sun. My nephew got a 47 and his dad got a 65. My biggest was a 28. We released alot of 10-15 pounders before we settled on our limit with no time left. I had to make this a very short trip due to work. My dad, brother, brother in law and nephew are still up there. Today they were going to rent a 16 footer with a 20 horse and try for silvers in Resurrection Bay. We ate like kings and fished most of the daylight hours. From 5 AM until 11 PM. Fun trip with family.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Grego

That's a lot butts, seems you lucked out with a nice window. It sure looks peaceful even with the damp fog rolling. How'd the wet weather gear work? Booyaa!

Grego
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
lamb

nice!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
madscientist

Wow, that looks like several hundred WCW points hanging there! Glad to hear its been a good time.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
iron90

Got to get out more

Iceman,

How do you get to fish so much???????????????

Do I need to buy an Ice company................So I can have more time, Money to fish???????

Awesome report and pics.

Marty
Old 08-07-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
potto

Thanks for the report Iceman.
The map of Alaska made made me daydream of going up there someday.
potto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
I headed up for Fathers Day (JUNE) and got into a mess of Reds down on the Kenai (1st run). Then headed to Seward for a Halibut trip. That sounds like it went about the same as your trip...tons of 15-25# chickens but didn't find my 310#'r and ended up settling for a limit. I bet we had the same captain... I was pretty mad. The guy my Dad usually goes with brought in 80 - 170#'rs that day. It isn't the day, it's the captain (usually). A 13 yr old girl landed the 171#'r (I'm sure they shot it for her when it got to the surface).

How do you post pictures...do you have to get a website like 'myspace' to post the pic from a URL or can you put the path on the local PC between the "[img]"? I have some cool pics to share...

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #8
Lit-up1

Kenai

Andy-

I am a friend of Dave Eastons and he showed me your report on your Alaska trip. I happen to be flying up to the Kenai Peninsula on Saturday with a group of 10 guys for a one week fishing trip (my first to Alaska) and wondered if you could give me a few pointers.

I was told the mosquitos are thick, so have every kind of deet spray possible. Was it really much of a problem to the point where screened hats are necessary?

I am bringing fly and spinning equipment, but if fly fishing conditions are tenuous I could eliminate the waiters, etc. and travel much lighter. I know we are going halibut fishing one day and I guess we'll hit the rivers the other few days. I am not an experienced fly fisher by any means. Are the rivers real wide? Do you have to get out in them?

The weather sounded rainy. It looked like you generally wore warm rain gear...would that be your recommended clothes?

Any other insights?

Thanks much,

Tom Mutter
Lit-up1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Grego, the Booyaa gear is like fishing in silk pajamas. I love that stuff!

Silverbullet, you do need to upload your pics on a photo site, like Moment of Fame or My fishing pics.

Tom, I am a total newbie to Alaska. I expected the misquitos to be bad, but never got one bite. Most of the stuff you can get up there. We found Safeway to have the best prices on tackle. In the rivers you will want hip boots at least and felt bottom shoes would be great as the rocks are slippery. As far as the rest of your clothes, good raingear, and layers, like fleece over a t shirt, when the sun did come out we were in t shirts pretty quick. The magic color fly was black. We watched 2 guys killing the Reds and he showed us the fly. We had some bigger black and purples and cut them down, but we sucked. My only hookup on the river jumped and spit it. Big spinners worked well, in the bay near any outfall, creek or rivermouth, 3/8- 1/2, even bigger ones around an ounce. Must be the vibration as they seemed to work really well. Pixies are a spoon that works well for the salmon. Snagging from shore is a retarded yet addictive way to get the salmon. This is done with a 12/0 treble that has an ounce of lead in the center, called the Alaskan fly. For halibut we were fishing 6/0s in 200 feet with wicked current. 4 pounds of lead and a herring cut in half. The halibut start with a nibble and you are using spectra and feel it. You wait until the nibble starts to tug and just wind them on with a big ol circle hook. We decided to drive to Ninilchik from Seward as the halibut are only a half hour boat ride. The 2 hours in the car were better than the 2 hour ride in the boat. Seward is a great spot to target the Silvers. Hope you have a great trip. We saw some black bears, one big one walking the edge of the trees, right near the hiway. Saw a few moose and one bald eagle. Beautiful country.

Andy

Here is a "Pixie"
Old 08-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #10
grey zone

Lit-up1, I made a similar trip to The Kenai peninsula in Aug 2002. We left on the 16th and drove to Homer from Anchorage where we stayed for 5 days then went back to Seward. The locals seemed to think Aug was the best month, no mosquitos but more rain so be prepared. The weather varied from bright sunshine, shorts and T-shits, to light rain. Temperatures ranged from mid 70s to mid 50s. Aug is the month of the silver salmon, so you don't need the heavy tackle 8-12lb would do fine from shore. The Kenai is a good size river, if your by Soldonta go to the visitors center and walk down the corrigated stairs to the river. I watched anglers snagging 3-5lb pinks left and right trying to catch silvers which are highly prized for there eating qualities. If you get a chance drive to Homer, nice road and the view is incredible looking at the glaciers across Kachemak bay. Homer calls itself the halibut capital of the world, but the boat ride to the prime grounds is 2 hours. I fished from shore one evening at a place called the Fishing Hole and had good luck catching a king and silver salmon on a blue fox #5 while the only other salmon I saw caught were by locals using roe. I saw someone else catch one the day before on the same luhr so I bought one. Good luck, I'm not trying to steel Andys thunder but I get excited just thinking about the place. Randy
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:33 AM   #11
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
Lit-up, I would suggest wadders in any river in AK. That water gets cold even with them on. The misquitos aren't that bad if you keep moving, are in the river, or on the beach (seward or homer).

Here is a first attempt to post pics (thanks for the help Iceman).

Pop's and I with our load of Reds for the day. No one was catching that day so we got alot of comments.

The days load of 'buts out of Seward...See what I was talking about ...CHICKENS!! They would be very highly sought size for SD though...LOL.

Day two's catch of Reds...

My father caught a red last year from a 'yak and there were quite a few people laughing when he launched with his fly rod. Keep in mind he has an Old Town LOON. That Red dragged him across SKILAK lake. He is excited to get to SD now and try out real kayak fishing.

Hopefully I can get him into a yellow.

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote