Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 7-6-17

Original plan was for Dana, but the wind forecast didn't look so good, so we decided on Newport. Landwhale and I launched about 6:45am to a south wind and a fog bank just off shore. Didn't use a FF today, so I don't know the water temp, but it felt a little chilly. Lots of floating debris all day, but the water was pretty clear.

We started at the buoy line and never left it. It wasn't wide open, just a slow pick which died when the current died. Coolbaits Underspins were the ticket, though I did get a legal on the Warblade. Lots of bites on lots of colors, but the 1/2oz Underspin with a chartreuse 4" grub did the best for me. Finished with 10 bass (3 legal and a short butt. Off by 9:30 as the bite was dead and I had to be off by 10:00 or so anyways. It should be noted that all but 1 of my bass came from relatively shallow water.

We had a good time and plan to hit Mission Bay next Friday. But, first I have to restock on the Underspin. Lost 3 today, 1 to a fish and 2 to the bottom. OUCH!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
jbl_91762

Thanks Ed! Heading out Sunday and will change my plans thanks to your post. I'll play in Harbor till mid morning then head out to see whats out past break wall.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
goldenglory18

Awesome report, thanks Ed!

I really need to try the Coolbaits underspin. I like when the mfg uses two swivels instead of one and prefer a smaller profile to pair with smaller trailers.

I've been using the Fish Head Underspin and have done ok, but wish it had a better hook. I think these up against the rocks and they arent holding up as well as expected for a $6 bait....

Also, have you tried any of the weighted hooks with underspin hardware attached? I just picked up two different styles from the TW JDM bass shop and am anxiously awaiting my next bay adventure to try them....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Thanks Ed! Heading out Sunday and will change my plans thanks to your post. I'll play in Harbor till mid morning then head out to see whats out past break wall.
You're welcome and good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Awesome report, thanks Ed!

I really need to try the Coolbaits underspin. I like when the mfg uses two swivels instead of one and prefer a smaller profile to pair with smaller trailers.

I've been using the Fish Head Underspin and have done ok, but wish it had a better hook. I think these up against the rocks and they arent holding up as well as expected for a $6 bait....

Also, have you tried any of the weighted hooks with underspin hardware attached? I just picked up two different styles from the TW JDM bass shop and am anxiously awaiting my next bay adventure to try them....
Haven't tried the weighted hook ones. They look good though. Just saw these, but the blade is a little close to the hook shank. Fish Head does make a weedless version, which I might have to try.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I tried an underspin with a paddle-tail anchovie plastic last weekend looking for bass but ended up with a halibut instead. I did snag up a lot on the bottom so a weedless version would be nice.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
...Just saw these....
Yup, one of the many reasons I like the double swivel design.

I'd pass and just keep getting whatever is working for you (disclaimer I really don't like BPS branded gear...)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Yeah, just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm waiting for Coolbaits to make a weedless, and in the meantime I'll just use their regular ones. But, a $24 day sure hurts.

Forgot to mention... Steve set the hook on a bass and I asked if he got it. He said, "Yeah, but it's small." Then he goes, "Whoa, maybe not." And his rod is doubled over. Then he pulls up a tiny bass. Halibut had grabbed it and left rake marks in the bass.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 AM   #8
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Yeah, just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm waiting for Coolbaits to make a weedless, and in the meantime I'll just use their regular ones. But, a $24 day sure hurts.

Forgot to mention... Steve set the hook on a bass and I asked if he got it. He said, "Yeah, but it's small." Then he goes, "Whoa, maybe not." And his rod is doubled over. Then he pulls up a tiny bass. Halibut had grabbed it and left rake marks in the bass.
Hahaha, that is awesome. Sometimes when I pull up one of those tiny spots I think about adding weight and throwing it back in....
Old 07-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
blitzburgh

Thanks Ed, how was the wind at Newport as compared to the forecast?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Sometimes when I pull up one of those tiny spots I think about adding weight and throwing it back in....
Illegal, but probably fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Thanks Ed, how was the wind at Newport as compared to the forecast?
Wind was off forecast, stronger at the start of the morning and less at 8am when it was supposed to pickup. They had the direction correct, and at least the direction was right for drifting the buoy line.