Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
FISH11

Talking La Jolla 8-18-14, Mixed Bag

After having to wait 5 & 1/2 weeks due to total left knee replacement and 7 weeks since last out at La Jolla, I made it out yesterday Monday the 18th. It felt so good to get out again after weeks of reading all the killer reports. After 7 weeks of not paddling I knew that I would have to pace myself, since my arms would not be in shape to paddle as many miles as usual. The surf reports sounded easy but at morning high tide launch the waves where higher than I expected, and got the forward momentum pushed back after taking numerous waves to the chest and face. It took two tries because the waves on the first attempt pushed me back to two feet of water. After the launch paddled out to the kelp edge to make bait but could only find Spanish macs and even they where not easy to catch. Tried throwing surface Irons and YO YOing in areas where the bait was getting chased and fish where jumping but could not hook up even when seeing some chasing the Tady 45. Paddled out and tried trolling a Spanish only to loose a few in the next few hours to the knuckleheads. I was surprised often even they ignored the bait. Finally on the last mac I get hit on the way back in and I see the large flash and think sweet I got one, then realize there's not much fight and when it's close I see it's a Barracuda the largest I've ever caught (approx. 50 inches). At first I thought I would gaff it, then thought no one other than me at home eat fish, so I thought this time I would let it go, but first take a picture. That was enough to call it a day and paddled in. Passing the Tourist kayaks on the way in was easy and kept waiting for the catching up wave. Looked over my shoulder and when it finally came I'm all ready to brace and unfortunately I was a little too relaxed and the wave pulls the paddle from my hands. Before I can even say SH*T, I roll over and when I get up all the poles are OK, but in the water. All gear is leashed so no loss but as I's trying to walk I can tell there is a line around my right leg and can't lift it very high because the lines pulls tight when I lift my leg. Unfortunately on the other end of the line is My Salas 6x Jr. and one of the hooks is in the sole of my 3T shoe and I can feel the end of the hook almost going into my foot. Every time a wave would hit and I'm trying to keep the kayak from going away and pulling on the hook. Managed to get to 1 foot of water and cut the line. Another kayaker that was there at the launch helped me gather the items. No broken rods just 1 broken pole holder on my crate and easily replaceable. I'm sorry I forgot your name, I'm terrible with names. Thanks again for your help. As it turns out I had the video going on the way in, so I pulled a still of just about the point the wave pulls the paddle from my hands. I felt like an Idiot after close to 45 time out at La Jolla that is like the 4th time I ate it. I have come in with much worse condition. Just shows when you get too relaxed or over confident bad things happen. Even with the bad landing it was the best day in the last 7 weeks. Can't wait for the next time later this week.
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 08-19-2014 at 11:31 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Lipripper92592

That surfing shot is great....makes the wave look Huge!
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
blitzburgh

That was a log of a Cuda'