Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
jbl_91762

ideal size mac?

So another question I have as to size of mac to use. While out in LJ for first time I was hooking up with all kinds of sizes but rather large Im guessing. I would say average was 12" up to 20" lol but I just threw out the big boys of course or was that a mistake. What size do the YT and WSB prefer? I just want to do my best cause aint no fun driving 90 miles one way to get skunked lol. Kinda scary when I see other posts of guys everyweekend out there and Nada so I appreciate all the tips.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
NICKWORN

Either

I've caught them on horse maks and candy bars, I tend to keep the candy bars if bait is easy!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Candy bars over salamis. If fishing smaller baits, make sure the leader/hook size are also scaled down proportionally.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
taggermike

Lots of times you get what you get. But ideally, I prefer 8-10" baits. That sized bait is strong enough to troll at a decent speed, but will be able to circle and stay alive in a small kayak bait tank.
Bigger baits get bit fine but 12 frisky smaller bait are better than 6 big half dead ones.
Having more baits keeps you fishing when the dogs are bad.

Some guys only want to fish the green macs and will toss all the spanish back. I think greens are better, but not much. Match the hatch as they say.

I check the stomachs of all the fish I catch n I've found a big variety of prey in yt. Red crab, squid, krill, dines, chovies, green n brown macs, small rock fish, prawns, smelt, grunion, flying fish, sauries, little goby looking fish, senioritas, and black smiths. They're not that picky. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
FISH11

I have caught them on all size Macs. I prefer the large ones because they swim stronger and like to go deeper. On the large ones I just have to tighten the lever drag a little more with the clicker, so it's not constantly taking line. I have also learned on those days when you have a hard time finding greenback don't worry if you get Spanish they will work just fine. Provably have caught almost as many on Spanish. Sardines I don't keep because they won't be alive in 20 minutes, you can pin one on but let the other go, because they just won't keep. Besides they are just weak swimmers. Yellow tail don't seem to be scared off by extra large greenbacks. My favorite size is 10"-13" greenbacks.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
chris138
donkey roper

IME... There is no such thing as "too big" of a greenback for WSB. YT will also eat very large GB, way bigger than you would think. I've got 10# yellows on 12" GB. If I have a variety of sizes, I will typically cull any GB under like 9 or 10". But my fishing philosophy is always going for large fish on heavy tackle, as opposed to getting as many bites as possible. If you're looking for more bites... fish a medium size GB on 20#. As others say, Spanish will work fine for YT. And spanish live in the tank better. I've never got a WSB on a jack mack before though.

Halibut is a different story. I won't keep any GB over 9" due to short bites. Also GB is least preferred to spanish or brownbait.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
CorvinaLoca

bait size

size of bait probably doesn't matter too much in my experience, but in general i catch bigger YT on bigger baits. keep in mind that the 200 + lb bluefin love the anchovie and iv'e caught 3-5 pound calicos on the bigger macs. if you have a smaller bait tank though (which I'm assuming you do on a kayak), the smaller macs are going to do much better if you have them in there for a while. macs are pretty hardy bait, but if you look carefully, the larger ones will get a red nose quicker. the better your bait swims, the better you will fish. for sure, those 20" macs you caught would not do well in a little tank and you're wise to throw them back.
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
jorluivil

I prefer whatever I can catch

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
FullFlavorPike

i like the big fat slob macks that don't even fit in the tank, especailly when they're all hopped up on a krill bloom so they look like one of those overfed labradors that waddle around and can't lick their own butts anymore
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote