Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Viper3173

3/28 Skunked, flipped then sewage

Finally had a day off when the waves weren't too crazy and wanted to try to get a piece of the bite lately so I was on the water just before the sun was supposed to come up greater by ankle slappers. Birds and bait everywhere, made 10 or so within 15 mins and pinned one on top and one on dropper loop. The wind and swells (and even a little rain) picked up real quick and made for a chilly trek out to the corner. Made two loops out and back with no takers before I decided the weather wasn't worth my troubles and and headed in, it seemed like the rest of the yaks out had the same idea as I was on of the last in.

Of course with the 15-20mph winds the waves were a lot more aggressive than when I launched. I am still very new to landing a hobie in surf but I timed it really well, got to about 3' deep pulled the drive and attempted to hop out, unfortunately my pant leg was caught on my seat and by the time I freed it I had turned sideways and was greater by a broadside wave. First time dumping and of course, since the surf was small I didn't leash everything down. Fortunately I found my mirage drive pretty quick and brought the yak to shore. Two other guys had just landed, Austin and Ryan, and offered to go back out to help me find the 2 rods that I didn't leash down. Austin did manage to somehow find one of my beers on the ocean floor but my search was cut short when the guys working on the launch started pumping stagnant storm drain water down the beach (it was horrid, apparently the city told them that is how they wanted the nasty water removed instead of pumping it to the sewer...not cool). If anyone comes across my rods or hears of anyone finding any please let me know! I am going to try posting on a few other sites as well. One is a black dick's sporting special abu garcia vengeance bait caster, and the other is my bait stick, an ugly stick international with an abu garcia C3 reel. Fortunately these were my cheap beater rods but it would still be nice to get them back.

Huge thanks again to austin and ryan for wading back into the cold to help me out, this kayak fishing community is awesome. Oh and if anyone finds my other missing beer, it's a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, please enjoy it for me.

-Patrick Carey
Viper3173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
FullFlavorPike

Bummer.

I hear the Torpedo IPZ bite has been red hot for guys fishing a Daredevil on the Zebco spincaster in the scurf zone. Maybe there's hope you can catch it back.

You can try checking with the lifeguards. Every now and again a tourist turns lost gear in to them and they reunite it with its owner. Pretty rare, but it happens.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Viper3173

Good idea with the lifeguard, I'll give that a try. Fortunately the tide was pretty high and I was well into the break zone so hopefully they will get pushed up onto the beach.
Viper3173 is offline   Reply With Quote