Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Giving the Yellowtail a rest.......

After seeing a Dorado that was caught last week ( with my own two eyes) well within kayak range, I thought I would go have a look. My original plan was to take out the Hobie Adventure Island, the full sailing model, complete with two outriggers. Coming up on my departure time, I had second thoughts. My main concern was to accurately pinpoint my range, before getting in over my head. I tried to figure out the worst case scenario, and prepare myself to overcome the challenges. When I fish I can get focused to a fault ( Fishing induced ADDlol), and can become my own worst enemy. The thought of chasing a porp school with breaking fish till dark, and leaving myself stranded 25 miles offshore ran through my mind. With the possibility of an afternoon glass off, I decided to simply pedal, and not take out the full sailing model. This would give me a better idea of my true range, without the aid of a sail, and better prepare me for the worst case scenario.

I recently had a helping hand in putting a fellow kayak angler (Smokey) on his first Yellowtail, and an hour later his second (afternoon bite).

He was pretty pumped (remember your first?), and since then you can see the fire in his eyes. While doing his first happy pedal back to the launch we spoke a little about offshore fishing from a kayak. He told me to keep him in mind if I ever find myself without a partner, and one week later I gave him a call. We planned to launch from the south mission jetty at 4:00a.m., buy sardines, and head 20 miles straight off the jetty, in search of exotics. His voice took a slightly higher tone when he repeated back to me "20 miles" ?

Nine miles off the jetty the bottom drops out to 1,500' and the water has a good 40' of vis. We are searching for that paddy holding fish, maybe even one with birds. After keeping a good pace, for close to six hours, we are 17.5 miles off the tip of the mission jetty. Not one group of birds, breaking fish, free swimmers, or a decent paddy to show. Plenty of smaller paddies holding tons of micro-bait, but no proper signs. We decide to troll a couple of the horse sardines to atleast make it seem like a fishing trip.

Notice La Jolla on the left, and Point loma on the right, with mission beach disappearing with every mile. (mid sleigh ride)

My first sardine is slammed within ten seconds of running in free-spool, and I was excited for a minute. The fish ripped drag straight down, but the sharky feeling became more and more pronounced. Soon after I have a 80lb Blue Shark, all lit up with purple hues below the kayak, beautiful. After donating a pack of Owner ringed hooks, the beauty faded, and bait conservation kicked in. I decided to save the bait for our shot, a paddy, birds, breaking fish, something. We came across a few pods of whales, Rissos, and acres of porps, but never found a paddy that was holding. Around 1:30 p.m we started to do the math, and had concerns of making it back by dark. We were fortunate, that the current had taken us on a northwest track, heading toward La Jolla, and had a good west wind at our back. The trip home was much faster, and I kept my eyes open the whole way. Hoping we would maybe find something closer to home, but no luck.

Back at the launch, even without a fish to show, it was hard to keep from pounding my chest like Tarzan. Our pedal range was bigger than I thought, and I still had plenty in the tank for more. The most humbling part of the experience, wasn't the giant whales, or the fading land in the distance, it was the fact that a 56 year old kayak newbie (fresh off his first Yellowtail) kept up with me (my new hero).

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-13-2008 at 06:41 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
steamroll

Insane! That is a long trip!!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
linghunter
skunk

Nice tails smokey!

Sounds like some trip! (even for a Hobie) You guy's will get them next time.

Paul
linghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
esdees
The Good Clone

Another nature trip, oh well. Are you going to try the sail next time?
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
kurt

Same results I had on Sunday. Those blue sharks do put up a decent battle. Good effort. Try dragging a bait tube for makos!
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
deeberdave

You guys are surely supermen! Sounds like a good time,testing the limits
and then beyond. Thanks for the post.
deeberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Don't call 'em whale tours or you'll have to pay a fee at the launch.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
yaky yak

Darkhorse, I am impressed. I am thinking of a long paddle to the 14 mile bank. Your paddle(or peddle) was vary inspirational. A friend and I last Tue. Paddled out 6 miles from Dana(15 miles over all)in search of exotics that had been sighted as close as 3 miles for not. I am interested in how your sail works out. I was thinking of getting one to take some pressure off my shoulders. Your my new idol.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
peguinpower
bing!

I'm totally impressed. If you got out 17.5 miles one way, then a Catalina crossing would be no prob. Great adventure! /bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Don't call 'em whale tours or you'll have to pay a fee at the launch.

lollollol Sad, but true.

I'm thinking of starting an "instant fisherman" (as seen on T.V.) guide service. I could have a full set of eight "Instant Fisherman" rod and reel pop ups, Just "let's(click 1) go(click 2) fish(click 3)" (two payments of $19.95, includes waterproof fishing tips ) in one backpack, and save $500 a month. Probably the fishing rod of choice, when the MLPA is finished butchering the coast.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-14-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

I agree.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
I'm totally impressed. If you got out 17.5 miles one way, then a Catalina crossing would be no prob. Great adventure! /bing
I know a guy that did it on a Hobie, and I thought he was crazy. After my trip on monday, I think it would be a piece of cake, really. The wind was up at 4:00 a.m out of the west, with a crossed up swell, and we made great time, even with the conditions.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
THE DARKHORSE

I'm going to hold off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees View Post
Another nature trip, oh well. Are you going to try the sail next time?
I was pretty excited about the sail, until I saw the "true range" with the simple Mirage Drive system. I know the pedal system is cake for cruising around La Jolla (almost no effort), but I wasn't sure about serious coverage. We never pushed it, just a steady pace, and I never even broke a sweat (cloudy weather). We checked the gps occasionaly, just to giggle a bit. I honestly think with some ambition, or a good sign of life, 40+ miles is not only possible, but my goal for the next trip (baby steps).

With out a doubt, the sail would come in handy, especially for the ride home. With proper wind conditions, you could easily double your range, and pull a spread of jigs at proper speed. In this case though, I have way more interest in the "unassisted fish" ,and my goal is a Tuna before summer is over.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-14-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I was pretty excited about the sail, until I saw the "true range" with the simple Mirage Drive system.
I bought a touring like kayak to get the range. But after seeing your report, I am going to revisit my Revo and see how far I can go with it.

thanks!
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
Dan W.

Best of luck, I'd love to see you do it! With that range and conditions going the way they are I have no doubts you'll pull it off.
Dan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
rastrev

Good try Josh, maybe next time.
rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #16
Iceman
Administrator

Definitely gotta go the minute you hear it is on, in close. Too unstable. That is a helluva peddle. I paddled out 6 miles off Newport yesterday solo. Pretty lifeless. Couple paddies at 3 and 4 miles. Boats were going much further west. None stopping long within eyeball of me. I trolled a swimbait the first couple miles, then slow trolled a pair of dines, hoping for a breezer between paddies.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #17
THE DARKHORSE

Thanks for the report Andy.

Good information is priceless when it comes to man powered trips. I was considering lanching out of Newport, as I feel most of the life has moved up the line, so thanks for the look. I'm watching the strong onshore flow with ample cloud cover of the past couple days, and expecting a slight drop in water temps, but optamistic that some new paddies will slide into range. When the next push of life (if there is one) swings in, I will drop what I'm doing and go (damn squid bites ).
Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #18
reddog

you da man:ador e:
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
Dan

Nice work guys. I heard of two Mahimahi's taken by kayak yesterday straight off Cbad powerplant about 4 miles.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #20
THE DARKHORSE

Mucho thanks Dan.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Nice work guys. I heard of two Mahimahi's taken by kayak yesterday straight off Cbad powerplant about 4 miles.
Dan, I really appreciate it, especially info coming from a kayak angler. I bet they were stoked, dorito-bull status is an awesome trophy from the plastic fleet.

I now have a couple green pins on the map off Carlsbad, so thanks. My little map with pins of success from the last week looks ridiculous, it looks like I'm playing the game "Risk" by myself, it's war.