Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
buddha

Anyone Ever Fished Lake Powell

Looks like a beautiful place.

Anyone ever fished it?

Stripers, largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, catfish, trout, bluegill, etc.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
yakety-yak
D-T-B

carp the size of the family dog. some big stripers following schools of said carp
yakety-yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
MrM

Catfish for days! Stripers if you find the right spot. Carp galore. The mornings are beautiful, calm water with fish jumping everywhere. Last year I only brought a spinning rod, wished I would have taken a fly rod as well.

I metered some HUGE marks on the bottom last year. Catfish are known to get big. And with the house boats dumping all over the place, I could easily see some Lake Powell monsters growing in the depths.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
troutking

Carp can be in schools of 50-100 around the docks.

Catfish bite is slow all day long until the sun starts to go down. Had most of my luck with nightcrawlers or cut mackeral on the bottom.

As for bass, I've had good numbers using fluke type soft baits, spinnerbaits in the morning, and wacky rigged senkos.
troutking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
forefrazier

Buddha:

Just got back a few weeks ago. Some tips and tricks:

#1: Licenses: UT and AZ require a full license fee if you are going to be fishing in both sides of the Lake. 95% of the time you are in UT waters so like myself just be aware of your surroundings. I only purchased a UT license and was fine as I did not spend much time in AZ side.

#2. Striper! They were my main goal this trip along with Walleye (since I have never caught one). The water is VERY warm at this time of year and my "Striped Kind" came off shiny chrome lures in shadows (cooler water). I went straight lures since the frozen 'chovies are really tough to keep frozen when it is 95+ deg. out there. Don't really want to stay on the hook when soft. Successful lures for me where white/chrome Spinner Baits, Chrome Rat'L Trap's and good ol' Chrome Krocs! No sign of the Walleye for me...

#3: Green bass (Small and Largemouth) are frequent in coves, etc. Again, pick your favorite crankbait or spinner and have fun. Even got some on 'chovies with rocky structure nearby.

#4: Catfish..Bonus fishing after the day is done. Any set up will do with chovies, hot dogs, etc. Fun to do after a long day of fishing, camping, skiing, etc. once you are back at the houseboat. They like to come into the shallows at evening to feed of the human food that gets thrown off the boat after dinner! Just dont do what I did this trip and leave a G-Loomis rod with Curado 200 leaning against the back rail while you go back inside to get another beer! Oops...Kids saw it go right over the rail and it was gone instantly! Leash your shit!

Have fun and good luck..Steve

Last edited by forefrazier; 08-23-2013 at 02:45 PM.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Ggiannig89

I would love to catch some stripers! Are the good tasting?
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
forefrazier

I am not a big fan but the rest of the group wanted me to keep a few. Garlic, butter, herbs and some beer and you will be fine!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
buddha

I was wondering if I didn't rent a houseboat would I be able to get to the fishing spots with just a kayak?

Also would probably just rent a kayak instead of hauling my own.

Would it be a long paddle to get to the fish without a houseboat and only having the kayaks?

See many kayak fishermen out there?

Looks like a cool place to fish.

First time I heard of all the carp being there but wth they fight hard and if I were from England I would be in nirvana.

Last edited by buddha; 08-23-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
I would love to catch some stripers! Are the good tasting?
I grew up on the East coast and the saltwater stripers are really good eating very lean fish and white fleshed. Great on the grill with a citrus sauce, asian, tomato sauce or chile sauce.

I have heard that the fresh water stripers may taste slightly different than the saltwater variety but haven't eaten many of them.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
JeffB

Very good small mouth fishing! The crappie fishing is good too. I'm planning a house boat trip with the family next fall. It's a totally awesome place as far as scenery too. That's I'm going for, SMB and Scenery.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
WIDE OPEN STRIPER FISHING ON ANCHOVIES.. CHUMMED THEM UP AND THEY WERE BOILING!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Very good small mouth fishing! The crappie fishing is good too. I'm planning a house boat trip with the family next fall. It's a totally awesome place as far as scenery too. That's I'm going for, SMB and Scenery.
Smallmouth bass fishing is my favorite fishing of all!

Sounds great.

I guess the Spring is the best time of year to go?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
WIDE OPEN STRIPER FISHING ON ANCHOVIES.. CHUMMED THEM UP AND THEY WERE BOILING!
Cool.

Schoolie stripers? How big were they?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I was wondering if I didn't rent a houseboat would I be able to get to the fishing spots with just a kayak?

Also would probably just rent a kayak instead of hauling my own.

Would it be a long paddle to get to the fish without a houseboat and only having the kayaks?

See many kayak fishermen out there?

Looks like a cool place to fish.

First time I heard of all the carp being there but wth they fight hard and if I were from England I would be in nirvana.
Are you going out of Wahweep Marina? Did not see any kayak rentals so check before you plan on that. I hauled a couple of Hobies out (Thanks Orr and Andy!) No other kayak fisherman but myself..

The paddle could be long to reach spots you want to go to but advantage of staying near the marina is you can buy frozen anchovies anytime. Look for boils early in the morning.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by forefrazier View Post
Are you going out of Wahweep Marina? Did not see any kayak rentals so check before you plan on that. I hauled a couple of Hobies out (Thanks Orr and Andy!) No other kayak fisherman but myself..

The paddle could be long to reach spots you want to go to but advantage of staying near the marina is you can buy frozen anchovies anytime. Look for boils early in the morning.
If I fished out of Wahweep would I have to buy an AZ license only?