Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
pimikem

? to the guys in the wcw tourney

i am so totally amazed at pics of the fish caught so far that i cant help but wonder just how much time on the water it takes to be that successful. i have heard it said before that time on the water equals level of success, so I'm thinking most of you guys are out there at least 100 days plus a year. i get out when i can, and if I'm lucky I'll get my 3 or so yt's a season, but you guys are the real thing.
my questions are, how many days a year are you all out there? how can you find that much time? i mean i know you guys have to work and have families and houses and stuff that takes up valuable fishing time so how do you do it? just curious, mike.
pimikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Mike,
100 days on the water is what I would estimate, for myself. Average 2 mornings per week, fishing 5 hours each morning. In the Summer, when it is light out until 9PM there is the option of going out after work. I keep my kayak locked on my truck and all my gear in the back seat, so all I usually need to grab are my fishing rods. When I am done, straight to work, rinse my reels, clean myself up. The lack of time that I can fish was the main reason my boat stayed in the driveway and the kayak took over.

Time on the water is definately a big factor in success. The "fishing" that is done off the water also contributes alot. Respooling fresh line, reel maintenence, reading anything fish related, studying current trends and reports via the internet, tides, water temps and expected weather. I usually go fishing with a flexible gameplan.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
madscientist

I'm fortunate enough to live and work very close (UCSD) so I can pretty much decide I want to go and in an hour be at the fishing spot. I too usually have my stuff in/on the car since I bike to work, so my load/unload time is short. I probably average 30 hours a week on the water, but I almost always put in half of that on the weekends when I usually go for 8-12 hours at a pop. More in summer when long PMs are an option. No kids and an understanding wife helps a lot as well. I never mean to stay out as much as I do, but once on the water I find it hard to call it a day, particularly when the weather is nice.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Razorback

Kayak fishing is Nature's therapy. Go whenever you can - sure beats paying for a shrink and if you catch - it's Bonus Time.... 8)

When I owned a 21' Skiff - I was lucky to get out once per month. Now if I don't get out on the yak once a week - I get real grouchy....... and I'm not a tourney guy - just love being on the water.

C ya on the water.

HAWG Out
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
pimikem

thanks for the replies guys. Andy do you work a swing shift or start a later shift? i have to be to work in oceanside at 7 a.m. that makes the mornings tough for me. i could do allot of fishing out of o'side harbor, but it is typically pretty slow here. you are right about research. forums like this are a pretty awesome tool to help keep you in the know. thanks bro, mike
pimikem is offline   Reply With Quote