Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
monstahfish

south bay- the deep south?

Or maybe I should say the not so deep south. Does anyone here ever fish way down in south bay where the water is only 1ft deep at low tide? It seems to me like you should be able to find croakers and bonefish tailing or mudding back there. Yellow fin, black and spotfin croaker are so similar to redfish it just makes sense they would share certain behaviors. I am thinking of grabbing the fly rod and giving it a go this weekend if anyone wants to try sight fishing back there. If all else fails, we can go back to the deeper water and still catch fish.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
Or maybe I should say the not so deep south. Does anyone here ever fish way down in south bay where the water is only 1ft deep at low tide? It seems to me like you should be able to find croakers and bonefish tailing or mudding back there. Yellow fin, black and spotfin croaker are so similar to redfish it just makes sense they would share certain behaviors. I am thinking of grabbing the fly rod and giving it a go this weekend if anyone wants to try sight fishing back there. If all else fails, we can go back to the deeper water and still catch fish.
I like your logic, you should have a blast, especially if you get into the bones, try a small crab or shrimp pattern for them.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
taggermike

I've fished south bay for decades and have never seen fish tailing before. But I'm not in water that shallow often. Although they look a bit similar, red fish and our west coast spot fin and yellow fin croaker behave much differently. Never heard of spot or yellow fin tailing or being any where close to as insanely aggressive as reds can be. Give the area a look, you might find some thing new. And like you said, you can easily move to the deeper water. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #4
corpsmanusn2001

The only thing I've been able to sight fish are Corbina from shore. They like real skinny water. I bet if you can tie a sand crab pattern you'd kill em.
corpsmanusn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:13 AM   #5
Fishin Phil

The only fish breaking the surface are usually mullet. You can launch at J street marina. If you want a better chance at a bonefish launch out of bayside or pepper park.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
roadx

just be careful of your location. some of the best bone fish area is in the san diego bay national wildlife refuge

no fishing in this area

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/San_Diego_Bay/map.html
Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #7
roadx

if you have a cell phone i highly suggest to get an app called
fish alerts

it's free
Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
monstahfish

Thank RoadX, I was unaware that was a closed area. I'm coming up on 2 years of being out here from boston and finding so many of the best looking spots around here are closed off. On second look there may still be a few spots that might have what I'm looking for I just have to mind the map. Also is fish alerts an iphone app? I couldn't find it in the google play store.

Last edited by monstahfish; 04-22-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
monstahfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsmanusn2001 View Post
The only thing I've been able to sight fish are Corbina from shore. They like real skinny water. I bet if you can tie a sand crab pattern you'd kill em.
I have seen a few. There's tons of them at LJ but once again can't fish there. Not a big fan of surf fishing but that's likely cause I haven't done much of it.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
Lipripper92592

Exaclty

Quote:
Thank RoadX, I was unaware that was a closed area. I'm coming up on 2 years of being out here from boston and finding so many of the best looking spots around here are closed off. On second look there may still be a few spots that might have what I'm looking for I just have to mind the map. Also is fish alerts an iphone app? I couldn't find it in the google play store.
Only two years and you figured it out!!!!!!! Most politician living here their entire lives have still not figured this out......eliminate the greatest fishing areas, further crowd "weak" fishing spots....ensured further regulations keeping "them" in business of saving the environment. Pretty slick business model I have to admit.....

Last edited by Lipripper92592; 04-22-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling......
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
monstahfish

So who's in? saturday is a 10:16 low, usually in a flats fishing situation looking for fish in skinny water, this is prime. The sun if it's out will be fairly high for visibility and the fish should follow the tide up onto the flats and feed on crabs, shrimp and minnows.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
buddha

Use some bonefish flies and you should do well.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
roadx

sorry was outta town, would have joined. post up for the next round up. i'll pump some ghost shrimp

Quote:
So who's in? saturday is a 10:16 low, usually in a flats fishing situation looking for fish in skinny water, this is prime. The sun if it's out will be fairly high for visibility and the fish should follow the tide up onto the flats and feed on crabs, shrimp and minnows.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
buddha

Quote:
Well how did it go?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:58 AM   #15
monstahfish

windy, lots of mullet jumping and ran into a school of something I couldn't identify but they spooked. Need to try again in better conditions. Also need to bring a floating fly line and some smaller weedless shrimp patterns or wait for the tide to come in further onto the grassless mud flats. The grass in those shallow areas is seriously thick.