Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
AirborneYak

Hole in outback scupper

I went out today with Norm - Rocketfish, to fish the islands and notice that I had water in my hull. It was a little at first and then five mins later i open my center hatch to get a weight and notice how high and fast the water was filling up. I look back to see if my drain plug was on. It was. I made a beeline to the shore. I was pretty scared on the way to land cause I could feel all the water in the hull actually tipping the kayak left and right. I thought I was going to tip over at one point. I make it ashore and immediately check if I had my drain plug was tight and all hatch was closed and they were. I Drain as much water as I could, say bye to Norm and load the yak for home.

Once at the house, I look for any holes and see nothing at first. I put water in the hull again to see if I could find the any crack or what not and notice that water is coming through the scupper hole. I saw the size and realize how lucky I was to make it.

Now my questions. Is this an easy fix? Can I DIY? I'd rather not cause I'd end up with half kayak some how. How much do you think it would cost to fix or is this even repair doable and I am out of kayak?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.0 KB, 203 views)
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Starting with the cause, are you using a plug in cart that does not stick all the way up past the top opening?

scuppers are tricky to repair. Can't get a weld in there, not sure if Hobie has a remedy, but would be happy to check on your behalf. You could goop on the inside and outside, or 5200.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
AirborneYak

I have the hobie scupper wheels. I think moving it around a few days ago might have damaged. Thanks, Andy. I will definitely bring it by. How does next Saturday work for you?

Paul
Old 04-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

I will be helping out at HOW Mission Bay next Saturday, you could drop it Saturday and plan to pick up Sunday. I should be in late afternoon Saturday.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
I had that happen to a thresher over a year ago. I took a 4" long piece of plactic rod the same diameter and made sure it would fit. Tappered a little on both ends. Gooped inside both ends of drain tube. LIGHTLY tapped with hammer and gently guided plactic rod into place. moved it up and down past where it needed to be to ensure lots of goop, then regooded grom the top and let it set, turned it over and regooped from the bottom and again let it set for a day. THEN gooped it from the inside of the hull where cracked tube was. Been used in mexico as a rental for over a year. NO LEAKS. Hope this helps. Yes you do loose the drain.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
AirborneYak

DIY fix

Thanks for the idea, Bob. But i do want the use of that scupper. I found this on youtube. It looks easy enough and it something I should be able to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIlobCJSQeo

Andy,

Thanks again! I wont be bringing it in this saturday. I am hoping this DIY should do the trick.

AirborneYak - Paul
Old 04-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
roadx

i ruptured my supper by using an older scupper cart and elected to get a new hull at a reduced price from hobie instead of repairing.
now the diy fix. i noticed that the hobie paddle shaft fits perfectly in the scupper. im thinking a little goop it would be better and stronger than the original scuppers.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
Rocketfish

Yeah Paul, that was kinda freaky. I was paddling like crazy behind you and your super fast mirage drive and could see that the waterline was slowly creeping up to you from the back! Glad you made it ok and this fix looks super reasonable to me. I expect to actually reach the island with you next time
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
bubblehide

HDPE plastics (what the kayak is made of) can now be glued. Or should I say that there are now glues for HDPE plastics. The only problem I have come across is that you need to order the product, as I have yet to find a supplire local. Here is a little how to on it: http://www.ehow.com/how_8641794_glue-hdpe.html

Here is a supplier, they also include a load/weight pounds per square inch chart based on material HDPE is bonded to: http://www.innerduct.com/products/hdpe_glue.php

The important key here is proper preparation.

Best of luck!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #10
octico

Hey Paul

I was going to ask how the fishing went, I guess not so good? Sorry to hear the bad news. I am sure this is the last thing you needed.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

No doubt that fix will work as would the HDPE glues, and plastic welding if it's accessible. I'd probably think about using a combination of fixes, but in the end I'd probably look into getting a replacement hull because I just wouldn't want that to be always on my mind when I'm a mile or two off shore.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote