Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Anyone Fish Multiple Poles at the same time?

A question of strategy:

I built a contraption to hold two poles out horizontally from the work space in front of me for slow trolling without tangles. To that extent, it works well. I can also leave one in the rack and the second pole in my hand that's not on the steering lever.

I am curious about managing one up on a flyline, and one weighted at the bottom, or perhaps dragging two on the bottom, about 14' apart.

A double hookup would be difficult for me, to say the least.

Is the extra exposure of having two lines in the water worth the confusion of trying to get the second line up and out of the way when we are focused on safely landing an active hookup? Especially during a sleigh ride or evading threats from sea lions.

In SD Bay, two lines should be easy. In La Jolla, I don't know.

What is your preference? Two lines in the water with potential chaos and clutter, or one line that gets 100% of your focused attention and TLC?

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-28-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Trolling with two rods is my favorite activity.

One up one down, two up, two down. It all works well.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
GregAndrew

It doesn't get really tricky until you have 2 bait rods, a downrigger camera and a Sabiki or squid jig going at the same time.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Experience is the best teacher...

Pay attention....it can turn into a cluster....F real quick.
No spinning stay straight tight lines don't let your lines cross, cut the tails off your knotts they will hook the other line and if your using braided line it will spin into a tangled mess, been doing it for years.current and wind is forever changing. I constantly check my lines are not crossed and free of ell grass and kelp.paddle slow to keep everything nice and straight.it's when you stop then the line's get slack and your headed for a tangle with wind and current.Sometimes I put a drift sock out and drift with two lines,but you have to move one pole around.just be careful you might have to cut your way out of the bite meaning tangle.two baits in the water could be double hookup and trouble real one pole in before you fight a fish, unless it's a double hookup and I won't comment on what to do some guys get lucky and land both fish.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 06-28-2017 at 06:28 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
It doesn't get really tricky until you have 2 bait rods, a downrigger camera and a Sabiki or squid jig going at the same time.
For you perhaps, LOL.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-28-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
jbl_91762

Glad you asked as I was wondering the same thing. I troll 2 out in NP and DP but likelihood of catching big fish are slim in those areas. But now that I am hitting LJ for the first time this Sunday for a real chance at big fish, now I just thought 2 lines in water increase chance as fish may be on top or down below. Guess I will learn while out and hope for the best!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:19 AM   #7
NICKWORN

Always!!

Love double trolling, double the %. Extended Scottys keep my knees from hitting as well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0375.jpg (69.6 KB, 157 views)
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
goldenglory18

I've just recently started to do it. In AZ, you have to pay extra for a two pole stamp, and since I tourney fished most of the time, I never did it.

Now, I've figured you might as well have one line in the water at all times, so I'll "troll" a reaction bait behind me while I power fish shoreline structure and cover. So far, so good....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Keep moving! drift fishing is guaranteed to get you a mess, trolling 2 lines works well with a flyline out around 40 yards and a Carolina rig 20-30 yds out.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
PapaDave

I drift and troll with two rods all the time. It isn't hard.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I only have a two foot leach on my drift sock...

So it never interferes with my lines....you really appreciate it in a strong wind plus it helps to conserve energy.plus it is a sun block for my legs.when I'm making bait, mackerel I stuff them in the sock as I unhook them and then load my bait tank.I can't say enough good things about a drift sock
Old 06-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #12
jorluivil

the most I've fished is three; bottom, mid-column and a fly-line.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Keep moving! drift fishing is guaranteed to get you a mess, trolling 2 lines works well with a flyline out around 40 yards and a Carolina rig 20-30 yds out.

This! As soon as you stop moving you let the bait swim freely and create tangles.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
taggermike

Years ago I was trolling with 2 rods off LJ. Had a swim bait on one and a small rapala on the other. Both got hit by big bonita.
The cluster F that ensued made me never troll 2 lines again. Both fish went in different directions spinning the yak several times. Ended up with heavy braid wrapped around me.

I still fly line a bait and bottom fish with the other. But no more double trolling.

Maybe on a hobie you could keep driving forward to keep the lines straight.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #15
summers in kuwait

I rarely troll two flyline setups, but will often have a flyline out and another setup, like a Carolina rig working deeper in the column.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:39 AM   #16
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I toldly agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Years ago I was trolling with 2 rods off LJ. Had a swim bait on one and a small rapala on the other. Both got hit by big bonita.
The cluster F that ensued made me never troll 2 lines again. Both fish went in different directions spinning the yak several times. Ended up with heavy braid wrapped around me.

I still fly line a bait and bottom fish with the other. But no more double trolling.

Maybe on a hobie you could keep driving forward to keep the lines straight.
one up one down I have spent hours at home untangling braided line bird nest with pens on a plate.
I don't no how it is to be in a hobie never been in one never even had a rudder, but I have caught alot of big stuff in my cobra with a stiff marlin pole and I spin....sometimes it feels like I'm on the mechanical bull that the fun part,i just hope I don't get bucked off. Last soupfin lunged out of the water and tried to bite me
Old 07-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #17
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

When you have been rapped with braided line all over you and....

That mackerel still in the water, and fighting a fish on the other rod you better hope something big doesn't pick that bait up and run with it. Play it safe and reel one pole in first before you fight your fish.Thats the purpose of using circle hooks just tightin down your drag alittle and let the fish run until you can clear that other line before the spinning starts////\\\////\\\\