Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
jbl_91762

What do you do? 2 YT on both rods

So Mr Nice Guy got me thinking with his post on 2 lines out. What do you do if you hook up on line 1, then start reeling in line 2 to get it out of the way then bamn that line hits. Im sure this has happened to someone here (cause its gonna happen to me this Sunday LOL) but seriously how do you handle the situation? Also wondered do you guys keep fishing after your first YT is on board cause all I see are pics of 1 YT at the beach. One again guys thanks as Im new to fishing.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
Baja_Traveler

Pretty much the only thing you can do - short of handing off the second rod to a nearby kayak - loosen up the drag a bit on rod number one and leave it in the rod holder while you fight the fish on the second rod that is already in your hands. If you get lucky, and the first fish does not wrap itself in kelp, you can land it after boating the other. If you are in a Hobie, you have the ability to try and move away from kelp while still fighting the fish...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
FullFlavorPike

WIND!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
slobound

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
WIND!

Best advice ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
NICKWORN

Happend to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
So Mr Nice Guy got me thinking with his post on 2 lines out. What do you do if you hook up on line 1, then start reeling in line 2 to get it out of the way then bamn that line hits. Im sure this has happened to someone here (cause its gonna happen to me this Sunday LOL) but seriously how do you handle the situation? Also wondered do you guys keep fishing after your first YT is on board cause all I see are pics of 1 YT at the beach. One again guys thanks as Im new to fishing.
I was still a little GREEN to the kayak world and ended up handing one off to a buddy, didn't really bother me till later but takeaway a friend got him some meat as well! Sharing is caring!

If I had the opportunity again I would set hook, loosen drag and start horsing one of them, and pray the other was still on and didn't wrap each other!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Also wondered do you guys keep fishing after your first YT is on board cause all I see are pics of 1 YT at the beach.
Personally, I feel the best taking one fish home to eat. I fish for exercise and fresh air as much as I fish for fish. I try to target what I want to eat and render all parts into something delicious as much as possible. I don't want to be greedy or wasteful. IMHO, these fish we catch are precious living creatures and the populations have been seriously depleted compared to what I remember catching as a kid in the early 60's. Fresh tastes much better than frozen. It's a personal choice. For me, it's a moral and lifestyle choice. Opinions vary widely. Mine is just one.

If my leftover bait is healthy, I let them go. If they die in my custody I clean them for a neighbor who likes to eat them. The nutritional value of mackerel is very high, maybe in the superfood category. Assuming you know how to make them taste good.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...-mackerel.html

I should learn how to cook mackerel myself. Yanni probably has some brilliant ideas.

https://delishably.com/meat-dishes/h...ook-mackerel-2

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-30-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
kirkdavis

Haven't had the chance

When I finally get a YT from my yak, I plan on heading home to make sushi, collars, and other yummi treats right away unless........If I hook up two at the same time I will do my best to get both on board, all the while with a grin you couldn't wipe off with a baseball bat.....Just sayin.
As for Mr. Nice Guy's comment on taking what you are going to eat, I am not against freezing fish, but of course they are better fresh, and fresh fish is healthy for you, so that is more reason to go fishing more often. So many benefits: Fresh caught wild fish, lots of exercise, getting to enjoy nature, the mental healing all of that provides, and memories stored up for when we get too old and feeble to go any more.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
When I finally get a YT from my yak, I plan on heading home to make sushi, collars, and other yummi treats right away unless........If I hook up two at the same time I will do my best to get both on board, all the while with a grin you couldn't wipe off with a baseball bat.....Just sayin.
As for Mr. Nice Guy's comment on taking what you are going to eat, I am not against freezing fish, but of course they are better fresh, and fresh fish is healthy for you, so that is more reason to go fishing more often. So many benefits: Fresh caught wild fish, lots of exercise, getting to enjoy nature, the mental healing all of that provides, and memories stored up for when we get too old and feeble to go any more.
You'll get the first one soon, keep at it! My $0.02... The sashimi is always best on the third day. It needs to cure. Bleed on the water and afterward remove gut and gill ASAP. Pack bled fish on brine ice for 24 hours before breaking down. Never rinse loins with fresh water, only pat dry with paper towel or clean cloth. Let loins sit in vacuum bags on ice for at least 24 more hours. Once the bloodline just starts to oxidize, this is the optimal sashimi cure.

I swear its 5x better on the third day than the day you caught it. Anyone else feel this way?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I swear its 5x better on the third day than the day you caught it. Anyone else feel this way?
I always thought 3-day old fish is when it goes on sale for 50% off!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #10
LJ H2Oman
Hunter

To my taste, sashimi is definitely better if its chilled for one day compared to the day the fish is caught. Don't know about letting it chill for 2-3 days. I'll typically vacuum pack and freeze any fish that is not going to be consumed in the first couple of days. In the past I've been wary of leaving fish in the fridge for 3 days. After reading these posts, maybe I need to experiment with at least one more day in the fridge, but I'm sceptical about 3 days. I suspect the longevity in the fridge is probably species dependent. Sure wouldn't try in with a fragile fish like cuda, but I think you guys are probably talking about tuna and yellowtail anyway.

<"))))><

Hobie Revo 13 . . . not as sporting . . . but a welcome upgrade from my 1966 longboard!
LJ H2Oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:22 AM   #11
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post

He's right. Aging is key. First, you have to let all the symptoms of rigor mortis fade away, then it's a prolonged process of enzymatic breakdown resulting in maximum flavory tenderness after about four or five days. I'll happily eat it raw a week after catching if the fish has been kept packed in ice.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote