Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Seat in an outback

We have my PA which has a great seat/chair. We also have a 2013 outback with the stock hobie seat in it. My wife has no complaints about the seat, but whenever either one of my boys comes on a fishing trip with me they both complain of a sore back after 3 or 4 hrs of fishing. Both boys are in great physical condition(work out all the time).
How do any of you feel about upgraded seats in the outback ? I was looking this morning online and there are lots and lots of different types of seats all claiming to be "the most comfy"seat available.
Any suggestions?
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
You did not state exactly the nature of your sons' complaints. Are they sure the seat is properly adjusted for them? Is it a support problem, a padding issue? Since it's a HOBIE, do the other seats slide? Those seem to be the most common complaints.
I got in on a group buy (GB) a couple years back on a Seairsports Pacific Angler seat (actually bought two) .
It has great high back support but no lumbar support (as with most seats). Like many older Kayakers I have a bad back so I bought some 4" closed cell foam and built a sturdy lumbar support.
I've heard the GTS expedition seat is comfortable. They both have great seat padding, the GTS also has back padding and I hear it "wraps around" the body pretty nicely. I've heard only one person complain about the lack of lumbar support, otherwise I've heard nothing but good things about it!
If you add more specifics on your son's issues I'm sure more members will chime in on how to remedy the situation.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Sore back

I'm not sure if I can be more specific other than "hey dad my back is killing me"after 3 or 4 hrs of fishing.Lower back, lumbar of back, back ache ! when they are both in prime condition without prior back issues, thats when I started listening. As I search the web I see almost everyone dislikes the stock hobie outback seat.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
lbsurf2ca

I feel your sons pain. The seats suck...wish I had advice to make it better.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
crazywakeboarder

The new 2015 hobie kayaks all have the same seat as the PA

Maybe you could consider upgrading to a new model?

http://m.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-outback/
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
MissileTM

Sell it and buy the 2015 Outback or do a Jackson Kayak Elite seat mod. Do a search on hobiecat.com fourms. Some guy did that mod and seems to like it. It looks pretty easy.
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
619-SWIM-DOG

I have an air cushion that I sit on and my PVC pole holder sits perfect behind me for back support.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
The new 2015 hobie kayaks all have the same seat as the PA

Maybe you could consider upgrading to a new model?

http://m.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-outback/
New Outback seats not quite the same as the PA's (no armrests).
Just waiting for the new Outback to come out. Bought a brand new HDS-8 Gen-2 to mount on it.
$ burning a hole in my pocket!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
ajh
Junior

outback seat

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003AV...433192-5607503

I put this seat in my '14 outback. Fits perfect! Several guys have recommended this one on line. You can find different mods that have been done by cutting the legs down to keep center of gravity lower and to fasten it to the yak. All I did was put a towel in the bottom of the yak to keep from scratching it and dropped the chair in. Now, I haven't been fortunate enough to fish on the ocean yet, but for water without too much chop, I don't feel much more unstable than the hobie seat. It also gives you some room for storage underneath the chair. Im about 215 lbs and the chair doesnt seem unstable at all. I was worried that when pushing the pedals the chair may tip back because i dont have it tied down...but it doesnt. Also, I ordered it from walmart.com so if I didn't like it I could return it to the store.

I've got the gts expedition seat for my other yak and this hunting seat is WAY more comfortable. Especially for about $45 compared to almost $200 for the gts.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140815_143139.jpg (44.5 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg 20140815_143227.jpg (50.7 KB, 278 views)
ajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
nickc5

Does this seat hang over back near the scupper holes? I'm looking for a mod similar to this one since it is hard on the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003AV...433192-5607503

I put this seat in my '14 outback. Fits perfect! Several guys have recommended this one on line. You can find different mods that have been done by cutting the legs down to keep center of gravity lower and to fasten it to the yak. All I did was put a towel in the bottom of the yak to keep from scratching it and dropped the chair in. Now, I haven't been fortunate enough to fish on the ocean yet, but for water without too much chop, I don't feel much more unstable than the hobie seat. It also gives you some room for storage underneath the chair. Im about 215 lbs and the chair doesnt seem unstable at all. I was worried that when pushing the pedals the chair may tip back because i dont have it tied down...but it doesnt. Also, I ordered it from walmart.com so if I didn't like it I could return it to the store.

I've got the gts expedition seat for my other yak and this hunting seat is WAY more comfortable. Especially for about $45 compared to almost $200 for the gts.

Good luck!
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
TJones

Stock seat has very poor padding

Hobie does make an air cushion seat that can be used in combo with stock pad , or by itself . The pins that hold stock pad can be pressed out and then reinstalled . I would highly recommend this upgrade . My preference was just air cushion by itself and removing original pad . Combined together made the rider sit much higher than normal . The only negative about the air cushion is that it seems to fail after some good usage . It will start to leak at seams . Another Better option might be to buy a thermarest air seat cushion . Some sports chalet might stock them or they can be ordered on their website . The likely hood of one of these cushions failing is unlikely . You will have no issues spending 8 hrs on water with either one if these upgrades . If you use the thermarest cushion it will also help keeping your backside dry . Good luck .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
TJones

And the best option

Is drop 2500 big uns on the 2015 .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #13
nickc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Hobie does make an air cushion seat that can be used in combo with stock pad , or by itself . The pins that hold stock pad can be pressed out and then reinstalled . I would highly recommend this upgrade . My preference was just air cushion by itself and removing original pad . Combined together made the rider sit much higher than normal . The only negative about the air cushion is that it seems to fail after some good usage . It will start to leak at seams . Another Better option might be to buy a thermarest air seat cushion . Some sports chalet might stock them or they can be ordered on their website . The likely hood of one of these cushions failing is unlikely . You will have no issues spending 8 hrs on water with either one if these upgrades . If you use the thermarest cushion it will also help keeping your backside dry . Good luck .

Thanks for the detailed response! Been doing fine but the back is sore after a long day on the water. Was looking for a cheap mod and will check this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #14
FISH11

This is a lot cheaper than $2500 for the same hull with a new beach chair seat. This is the Seat I've seen "Iceman" recommend as the best aftermarket kayak seat for fishing long hours. http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ic-angler-seat
Old 04-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
Stuck20

I use the Sea to Summit cruiser seat, it has a tendency to slide around if not installed tightly to the hooks. It's pretty comfortable though
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I can vouch for the Thermarest pad (about $20 at sports chalet). No leaks yet after a year of use and it easily doubled my comfortable time on the water over a stock pad seat. You just need to strap it to your seat bottom with a lashing strap or something.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #17
Caseym

TSugg,
I use a Crack if Dawn Spider seat with the high back. Im 6'2", everything bugs my back but I seem to do alot better now that Ive gone to this one with the high back. Its very thick and stiff padding so your arse isnt going through it and your back feels supported. Also Remind em to move around a little to change up the positions...just like driving a car all day. Also dont sit on their wallet, use a foam roller at night, 800 mg. Ibuprofin, Alternate heat and ice, jacuzzi jets go a long ways, stretch often, do more ab/core work, lay off the In-N-Out(naaa skip that one). Best of Luck
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote