Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
Reel Anxious
Flippin' Photographer

New Seal thief

Check out ABC top stories for story. I can't provide a link
Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
PapaDave

Getting kind of ridiculous, should start eating the seals...
Old 04-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
jorluivil

I saw the video this morning, poor guy ended up getting pulled into the water by the sea lion. if I recall he said the sea lion bit his hand when it grabbed the YT, it pulled him out of the boat and held him under water for something like 20seconds before it finally let go

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
sdmosch

http://abc13.com/pets/video-fisherma...a-lion/684954/
sdmosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Reel Anxious
Flippin' Photographer

You can enlarge the pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I saw the video this morning, poor guy ended up getting pulled into the water by the sea lion. if I recall he said the sea lion bit his hand when it grabbed the YT, it pulled him out of the boat and held him under water for something like 20seconds before it finally let go
https://gma.yahoo.com/image-shows-mo...opstories.html
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Not only that but he said it grabbed his foot while he was trying to swim to the surface.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
FISH11

That story is about 3 or more weeks old and it happened here in San Diego. I think it was at Quivira Basin and the local news station had the story. I guess when things get slow on the national level they re-hash the stories. When I'm landing or bleeding a yellow I'm always on the watch for a seal or shark coming up. You always have to be paying attention to your surroundings.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
That story is about 3 or more weeks old and it happened here in San Diego. I think it was at Quivira Basin and the local news station had the story. I guess when things get slow on the national level they re-hash the stories. When I'm landing or bleeding a yellow I'm always on the watch for a seal or shark coming up. You always have to be paying attention to your surroundings.
So I'm a newbie here still. Newbie to riding a kayak. Is this something I should be concerned about? a large sea lion could probably easily knock us over right? I apologize if I'm being too paranoid, but I think it's a legit question. If you are bleeding a yellow, and see a large seal or shark coming up, what do you do? do you just chuck that fish in the water and paddle away? haha.

I have a knife attached to my pfd and figure I'd lash at anything that attacks me, but still, we are in their element.

has anyone been "boarded" by a large sea lion or seal? what did you do to get them away?
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Whattya do?

Well.... you become lunch, that's what you do. Make sure to stuff some habanero peppers in your pockets so when the seal or shark, swallows you he gets a real bad case of indigestion.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
ToroBravo
Junior

/\
1) don't feed them pesky bastards!
2) stick your gaf in the water and show the bait burglars so they can see the business end / hook that might stick them. This is usually enough to keep them away.
3) I know they are cute but they are NOT pets. Club the shit out of them if they get close / try to board your yak every single time!
ToroBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroBravo View Post
/\
3) I know they are cute but they are NOT pets. Club the shit out of them if they get close / try to board your yak every single time!

Well, I petted the heck out of the last one that tried to board my yak... but then I did shove it off a couple of times with my paddle to show it I meant business...

(but believe me, the petting part's been weighing heavily on my conscience!!!)
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

I have started bringing an old beach towel to cover fish, keeps em out of the sun and don't want a hungry desperate sealion to jump me and pump my fish, no bueno.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

This incident happened on Easter Sunday, definitely scary, but just be aware of your surroundings, and never ever feed a sea lion or seal, and don't leave fish hanging over the side, get a kill bag or a wet towel to cover them up

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Use a "slicing" blow to the head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
..... what did you do to get them away?
That long thing in your hands or on the side of your kayak that has 2 paddles on it...use it! You can give him a "slicing blow to the head" if you hold it just right and swing pretty hard.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Whattya do?

Well.... you become lunch, that's what you do. Make sure to stuff some habanero peppers in your pockets so when the seal or shark, swallows you he gets a real bad case of indigestion.
Tony keeps a couple of sandwich wrappers from "Buzzy Bee" in his pockets so the shark will know why he tastes sooooo gooooood! Just Pay attention to the area around and under your kayak, you can see color of something coming. Once I bled out the yellows I stick them inside my X Factor. That is a nice feature of being able to open the center hatch pull out the liner and slide the yellow(s) inside and out of the sun or view. Never pet the seals and if they try to board hit them as hard as you can. Last time I had one take my hook while stealing my mac, it gave me a ride for about ten minutes, when I was only trying to cut the line closer to him. Everytime I got him within 6 feet he would take off and pull line again. You can't overpower even a teenager. Just cut the line early if you cant break off the leader.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #16
Rocketfish

Badass guys. love all your comments
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #17
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Whattya do?

That was good, thanks for the laugh on that.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #18
Nic D

I hate seals
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #19
taggermike

Throwing your fish to a harassing sea lion is a terrible idea. You're just Training them to harass anglers. And worse, the next guy that doesn't give up his fish might get hurt. I do all I can to not feed the dogs. They're gonna get your baits, about impossible to stop that. Although if I see em coming I'll get the mack in and in the tank. And if the dog gets the baits' body I'll keep the head for a while. You'll see lots of dogs follow the head back in and wait under the yak for you to throw the head over. As for landing fish, I keep the fish low, bleed through the scuppers and then under the hatch. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #20
old_rookie

If a shark did that, the marina would be closed.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote