Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
BrokeLoser

Where to catch halibut and or 'bottom fish' out of Dana Point?

I've fished DP many times but always head north out of the jetty to the rock or headlands for calico's.
My father in law, who's 68 is talking about selling his yak...he's at that point where he really needs a successful trip out to reel him back in...haha

Any pointers or GPS coordinates (even better) would be greatly appreciated.
We will fish either Newport, Dana or Oceanside...unfortunately we can't make it further south.
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
DanaPT

try heading south.

I'm on record as saying the headlands is over-rated. That capo beach area (south of the foot-bridge) can be fun.

Those stinking fish aren't always there but I've landed fish between 10-30 ft of water: leos, sand/calico/white/black bass, AND the halibut you seek. The area between the harbor and san clemente pier is said to be full of rock reefs (according to a warning to boaters at the DP boat launch regarding the area.)

The wind can be a tuff on the way back to the harbor as the day passes so plan accordingly. Also, watch for swell as low tides may cause waves to break from seemingly no-where.

drag fresh dead squid and who knows what you'll catch.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
MotoHero

Nice reply to help bring Pops back!!!

With as often as some of us really get out (rarely), its nice to see a level of sharing to make a good day on the water memorable.

Dwayne
MotoHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Ive had luck at cabrillo harbor if your willing to travel a bit north.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Vikingj

I've fished Dana Pt at least once a week for 5 years and I will say there are not any magic GPS points. The fish are where they are when they are (and its not always where you are!). Generally, the kelp at Salt Creek and the point are very slow with maybe 1 good bite a day (if you are lucky). Doheny has been good the last month or two for multiple bites and guarantee of not being skunked, although the take is usually very small 'buts, juvenile wsb, small sandies, and leopard shark. The pipe is good this time of the year for nice sandy and calico bass and an occasional hali. Further south the Capo reefs can produce some very good numbers and size calico/sandy bass and leopard shark although I have never scored on hali there. And don't ignore the harbor where you can often pick up smaller sandy/spotted bass and occasionally, barely legal hali. I know the above results will vary considerably with time, weather, individual, etc. Good luck.
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Heading to Newport tomorrow 630-7 am coast guard station ch 72 will head out to open water for fish.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Ive had luck at cabrillo harbor if your willing to travel a bit north.
I definitely want to get up there soon...tomorrow I have to head south so I can stop in Fallbrook on my way home.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
try heading south.

I'm on record as saying the headlands is over-rated. That capo beach area (south of the foot-bridge) can be fun.

Those stinking fish aren't always there but I've landed fish between 10-30 ft of water: leos, sand/calico/white/black bass, AND the halibut you seek. The area between the harbor and san clemente pier is said to be full of rock reefs (according to a warning to boaters at the DP boat launch regarding the area.)

The wind can be a tuff on the way back to the harbor as the day passes so plan accordingly. Also, watch for swell as low tides may cause waves to break from seemingly no-where.

drag fresh dead squid and who knows what you'll catch.
Great info...and so true about the wind when paddling back north late in the day.