Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
skiptomyzoo

How did you end up in San Diego/California as well as gain employment?

I know this isn't exactly relevant (didn't see a lounge section) to kayak fishing but hopefully someone can provide valuable insight on how to get a job there as most of you are in the area...

My story:
After driving frpm Ohio to San Diego to visit the area (as well as most of the state), extensive research, significant downsizing, and building up savings, I am set and ready to relocate to the area and have been applying for jobs for the past two months. So far most of the positions I apply to typically don't respond and sadly the ones the places that do are because they saw my resume online and want me to act as an agent (insurance, ADT security, payjunction, etc.)

Therefor, I would like to weigh in on everyone's opinion and my question is as follows:
Is it best to literally just pack up the car and go? Obviously getting a job first would be ideal but that hasn't proven to be realistic so far...

I feel that having a local address and phone number may be the the key difference as there is probably many applicants from out of state. I understand you can do this without living in the area but then you still won't be available at a moment's notice for an interview.

My background includes 2 years experience in high-end sales (commission only), Bachelor's in business, and some master's course work in Zoology if that helps dictate your answer any.

Thank you in advance,
Brent

Last edited by skiptomyzoo; 08-29-2013 at 09:13 PM.
skiptomyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
oneyedeer

Find a job first and then move. If you already have a job in Ohio take a vacation....do not quit your JOB! Don't know why employers don't call you back. It's always common courtesy to do so. But when they do call back lump all the interviews up together so you don't have to much time. If it goes well there will be second interviews. Even when you do secure a job here....with your old employer see if you can secure a non paying leave of absence. It's always a good back up plan. Don't make sense to burn your life savings without covering all your bases. Califonia is the golden state at least that's what you gotta pay to live here.
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Raskal311

Not sure about your field but Business Analyst like myself rely heavily on recruiters and obviously its also who you know. Getting my foot in the door by accepting a much lower posstion has also worked well for me.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
skiptomyzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyedeer View Post
Find a job first and then move. If you already have a job in Ohio take a vacation....do not quit your JOB! Don't know why employers don't call you back. It's always common courtesy to do so. But when they do call back lump all the interviews up together so you don't have to much time. If it goes well there will be second interviews. Even when you do secure a job here....with your old employer see if you can secure a non paying leave of absence. It's always a good back up plan. Don't make sense to burn your life savings without covering all your bases. Califonia is the golden state at least that's what you gotta pay to live here.
Was on commission only, pay structure and management switched as well as the sources/leads I was in charge of to the point where it did not make sense for me to stay any longer as I literally went from what I was making to less than half of it.

I mean the most confusing part is the fact that I am writing cover letters and such to places that would like them as well, so I do have some serious time application wise in a few of them. Like you said should be common courtesy to reply but isn't always the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Not sure about your field but Business Analyst like myself rely heavily on recruiters and obviously its also who you know. Getting my foot in the door by accepting a much lower posstion has also worked well for me.
It was in Business Administration
Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Dan

If you are a no kids no wife kind of guy, I'd pack your shit in your car and just move. Way easier to find a job and networking opportunities when you are local.

Plus man, it's Ohio - I'd be losing my mind.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Dan

I know if I received a CV from an applicant from Ohio and a few from local addresses, I wouldn't call the out of state one back simply based on turnaround time and logistics. 90% of the jobs you'll probably get if you are in high-end sales would be who you know and and timing so I'd take the leap and go. worst case, you'll be breaking down boxes at the back of Costco, but you won't be in Ohio when it's snowing on Halloween and all the girls here smell like coconut oil.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
skiptomyzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I know if I received a CV from an applicant from Ohio and a few from local addresses, I wouldn't call the out of state one back simply based on turnaround time and logistics. 90% of the jobs you'll probably get if you are in high-end sales would be who you know and and timing so I'd take the leap and go. worst case, you'll be breaking down boxes at the back of Costco, but you won't be in Ohio when it's snowing on Halloween and all the girls here smell like coconut oil.
Hahaha Dan, it is Ohio. That was part of the the issue too as the pay worsened. I can't take this weather much anymore either. It would be a pretty nice place if snow/slush etc. didn't exist but 25 years later and I really dislike winter around here. Plus it is just me which is another reason why I question that I am still here.

While I do have experience in sales, I am open to other business avenues. I know people say don't move without a job but I believe that you can come across good ones through networking as well. (I could have accepted a few other positions here just bc of past clients but I am not interested in staying)

Last edited by skiptomyzoo; 08-30-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

I left Ohio for the Navy in 2001 I have always been stationed in San Diego. As soon as I land in Ohio (CMH) I start to miss CA.

I got out of the military after 10yrs and haven't left yet. Nothing compares to southern ca. Yes the taxes are high and gun laws suck but hey it's better than Ohio.

For job hunting I would suggest saving up some dough and move out here. I have had job offers from shops I frequent and from networking. If your like me and have that small town charisma you will get a job pretty quick.

What part of Ohio are you looking to move from?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Sdspeed

If your gonna keep looking from there for awhile, try CL in San diego, believe it or not but some pretty good small companies are using Craigslist to get the word out on the cheap.

Might trip over an area of interest you hadn't thought of before just by going through the jobs list.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
skiptomyzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjeff View Post
What part of Ohio are you looking to move from?
At one point 15 minutes outside of Cleveland, now about 30 but the nice thing is I can leave whenever as going month to month atm. Also I have nickle and dimed myself for a while now for this reason so I have a decent amount of savings to work with.

It should be about a 37 hour drive although I did a longer one before in April (from here through Colorado, NV, etc. then from San Francisco down through all the way down to Austin, then all the way to Nashville and back up approx 7500 miles). This was done as a vacation but also to see where I wanted to live. I have hit the east coast many a time before so I was already familiar with that.

How about yourself before you transferred for good? Columbus/Marysville area guessing by the airport you landed at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
If your gonna keep looking from there for awhile, try CL in San diego, believe it or not but some pretty good small companies are using Craigslist to get the word out on the cheap.

Might trip over an area of interest you hadn't thought of before just by going through the jobs list.
This is really good info, thank you. I have not used craigslist for such in a while as last time up here a lot posted was got work from home junk/spam/etc. from companies whose main goal appeared to be just to solicit an e-mail address. In turn at that time, I always ignored it as a job search engine.

Last edited by skiptomyzoo; 08-30-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptomyzoo View Post

How about yourself before you transferred for good? Columbus/Marysville area guessing by the airport you landed at?
Chillicothe it's a crap hole! I had to get out!

I have made the drive a few times and my best time was 60hrs including sleep and food. I also made the drive from San Diego to Jackman ME I think that is the furthest you can drive in conus or very close to it.

Take your time and have fun. When you get to SD just scour the job boards and classifieds for employment.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
echo1er

Travel and adventure of the Marine Corps.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
skiptomyzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjeff View Post

Take your time and have fun. When you get to SD just scour the job boards and classifieds for employment.

Good luck!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post
Travel and adventure of the Marine Corps.
Nice. My friend was stationed out there for a few years as well and sometimes seriously questions why he came back here.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I moved here from Ohio as a kid in '77 and it was nice growing up in So Cal but now traffic sucks here, high living expenses suck, and the laws suck. There's not enough room for one more car on the freeway, find somewhere else
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
bigbarrels

stay there for the Deer hunting season and have your feelers out in the meantime.....

Last edited by bigbarrels; 09-02-2013 at 01:41 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
DanaPT

commission only sales jobs should be plentiful. A recruiter should help. If you have saved enough funds for 6 mos... AND you get a job (maybe not the ideal job but a job that will help keep you fed) you'll have some staying power (at least you'll be earning and connecting w/ people).

Shoot the holiday's are upon us and most retail stores will be hiring. A good sales-person should be able to talk themselves into a job.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
skiptomyzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
There's not enough room for one more car on the freeway, find somewhere else
Haha there probably isn't. So we can just exchange, you come this way and vice-versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
stay there for the Deer hunting season and have your feelers out in the meantime.....
I went to deer camp in Pennsylvania last year for it...didn't get anything. Well ended up with damage on my truck on the way there avoiding two in the road bc if I had hit one would have sent it into oncoming traffic and that would have been more a problem for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
commission only sales jobs should be plentiful. A recruiter should help. If you have saved enough funds for 6 mos... AND you get a job (maybe not the ideal job but a job that will help keep you fed) you'll have some staying power (at least you'll be earning and connecting w/ people).

Shoot the holiday's are upon us and most retail stores will be hiring. A good sales-person should be able to talk themselves into a job.
I am sure they are a bit more common. Issue is don't know the market as well as I do here so a slightly larger risk if that makes sense. Like I said I am open to more than just commission only as well, but probably the easiest to pick up.

Also guess I could sign an apartment month to month, don't want to lock in on a lease until I am sure I have a more permanent position.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
skiptomyzoo

Leaving Ohio tomorrow for San Diego...
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Welcome to paradise!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514