Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #41
Handymansd
Ancient Member

There seems to be some confusion about what is and what is not included with the fish n chip that Navionics is giving out for their HDS fiasco. The Fish n chip that was provided to me for my HDS 5 was the platinum+ chip which is a great color cartography map, NOT the B&W POS chip. Either way though it has been over a year with no real effort from Lowrance/Navionics to "make things right". Quite the opposite as they continue to lie to sell their product. I sat and listened unbelievingly at FH as the rep flat out lied to someone about how accurate the maps were for the LJ area, even stating that the new MLPA's were included!

Enough is Enough you guys... go demand your money back, and buy a Furuno.
or maybe a lawyer could be coerced into helping...

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #42
wade

[QUOTE=Billy V;112406]
Lowrance HD 3D Cartography is the best overall picture you could read on a chart.
-Except that ALL of La Jolla is Missing - as well as the area of Cardiff Ca. to the Mexican Border and extending out 2 Miles from Shore. (about 40 continuous miles of the best fishing)
A Realistic View of the Area Missing - Its hard to believe.

Very True, the FishNChip is no answer to the MISSING Nautic insight charting.
It is only some B&W lines...I paid extra for the Nautic Insight, and this is now Nauseating. I was given the complete run around as to why the info is missing from Lowrance reps, and false claims that the area hasnt been properly surveyed, NOAA, excuses after excuses...

The complete missing info(s) / bathymetry has been made available a long time ago, which is why it WAS & is included on the extra $$ Platinum chips, Gold and the FishnChips ect...So in my eyes their is no excuse for why its missing or not included in the 1st generation, let alone the 2nd..

Lowrance your sonar is great, but you gotta step it up on all your Charting & Mapping claims if you really advertise "Superb U.S. coastal and offshore saltwater coverage to find productive marine fishing fast."

I would appreciate my product to operate exactly as stated on the box.
Nothing more, NOTHING less.
It does NOT.

http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov/pacmaps/movies/sd-down1.mpg

Last edited by wade; 04-02-2012 at 08:21 PM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #43
wade

My instant response today from M.C.

Capt. Wade thanks for email, I have responded to your fishing partners and I'll explained to you as I did to them, I am the sales guy for the northwest for Navico. New charting will not be available until our 2013 product is released. I have sent your email to Navico's mapping department with your concern thank you for your email. Mr. Tito Perez has been Cc too, Tito is our regional manager for SOCAl and is up to date on the missing info. HDS / GEN 2 product will NOT have the mapping info you need at this time. Target date is 2013.

Mike Campbell
Sr Regional Manager
Lowrance Simrad B&G

Last edited by wade; 04-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #44
ratdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
The sales rep (Ron the electronics Guy) at West Marine in Point Loma knows 100% about the missing cartography. He has known since the beginning.

He chose to say nothing to you because he is a Salesman.

Once you buy it, its your problem.
Omission is a lie in the eyes of the law.
Wow. Do feel stupid this blows me away

At the same time I would like to say "thank you" to everyone who has contributed to this thread, its been very informative to me
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #45
TCS

The email Wade got from Mike Campbell sounds like straight talk to me. No BS. They've escalated it. Guess I'll quit ranting now and edit out my 'search words'.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #46
RK

Im gonna take my unit back and try to return it for a different brand or at the least the base model, and get my 100 back (thats a sealine)..... I just want it to do what it says on the box, the two areas I fish are completely blank....Bitchen unit, but ripped me off on my mapping.

Does anyone have Michael Turkos number.

False advertisement, Faulty Product "It ain't Right"
I would assume those are suitable grounds for a return.

Good timing too Im probably about due for a new unit and can try another brand, Scallywags hummingbird gets better returns on squid anyways.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #47
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post

Capt. Wade thanks for email, I have responded to your fishing partners and I'll explained to you as I did to them, I am the sales guy for the northwest for Navico. New charting will not be available until our 2013 product is released. I have sent your email to Navico's mapping department with your concern thank you for your email. Mr. Tito Perez has been Cc too, Tito is our regional manager for SOCAl and is up to date on the missing info. HDS / GEN 2 product will NOT have the mapping info you need at this time. Target date is 2013.

Mike Campbell
Sr Regional Manager
Lowrance Simrad B&G
Received the same response today.
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #48
jorluivil

Quote:
It does Not have any bathmetric lines/contours in the areas we fish the most.
ALL OF LA JOLLA IS MISSING Including the NEW GEN 2 MODELS.

The area Missing is From Cardiff extending to the Mexican Border and extending approximately 2 miles out from shore.

That's like buying a $80 car with no cupholder

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #49
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post

Mike Campbell
Sr Regional Manager
Lowrance Simrad B&G
Translation: "Thanks for your concern... But Just because you are stupid customers and you bought your unit in 2011, we will fix your cartography in 2013... so quit calling me, and talk to my area rep... and while your at it kiss my ass suckers."

Seems pretty clear to me. Thanks mate!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #50
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
There seems to be some confusion about what is and what is not included with the fish n chip that Navionics is giving out for their HDS fiasco. The Fish n chip that was provided to me for my HDS 5 was the platinum+ chip which is a great color cartography map, NOT the B&W POS chip. Either way though it has been over a year with no real effort from Lowrance/Navionics to "make things right". Quite the opposite as they continue to lie to sell their product. I sat and listened unbelievingly at FH as the rep flat out lied to someone about how accurate the maps were for the LJ area, even stating that the new MLPA's were included!

Enough is Enough you guys... go demand your money back, and buy a Furuno.
or maybe a lawyer could be coerced into helping...
Who exactly (by name and location) gave you a $400 Navionics Platinum Plus Chip for your Lowrance?

-Lets hear it.
I have been dropping Lowrance employee names, and e mail addresses like they are going out of style, so don't be shy.

Last edited by Billy V; 04-03-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #51
Reel Anxious
Flippin' Photographer

Angry

Quote:
Who exactly (by name and location) gave you a $400 Navionics Platinum Plus Chip for your Lowrance.

-Lets hear it.
I have been dropping Lowrance employee names, and e mail addresses like they are going out of style, so don't be shy.
X2. Billy, thanks for taking the lead in this matter and to our other members that have contributed to this cause.
I purchased the HDS5 Nautic insight on 11/9/11 thinking it was one of the best. When I found out about it's short comings I went to the WM store on 3717 Rosecrans. not sure who I spoke to (not Milo) and voiced my concerns and was told "well that's what it is."
Needless to say I was pissed. Haven't been back and do not plan to give them my business until this matter has been resolved.
West Marine, "We make boating more fun", Caveat emptor
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #52
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Got my HDS 5 gen 2 from WM store on 3717 Rosecrans couple months ago from that guy Milo. He told me that the Gen 2 had the fix for La Jolla, and I'm now sorry I believed him!
Have not been back to question him cause he'd probly deny it anyway.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #53
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Just found out that Lowrance reps will be at Fish'n Marine Center tomorrow giving 2 seminars. Anyone going? I may try to go to question them about the missing La Jolla maps.

Edit : talked to the lowrance rep. He said for me to buy the Navionics Baja chip.

Last edited by dwntwnall4u; 04-14-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #54
kantstudien

Sounds like the time to buy a Lowrance is in 2013 if they can't be bothered until then
kantstudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #55
smithers

Alternatives?

Thanks for this thread.

Just got my kayak and am in the market for a good fishfinder.

After reading this thread I don't think I'd buy a Lowrance even if they fixed the issue tomorrow. It's one thing to have a defect and be open about it. It's another to sweep it under the rug while dealers lie about it and their own reps either lie or remain unaware at trade shows.

That email dismissing "you and your fishing buddies" was written by someone who just doesn't understand what the internet means to businesses. I feel it deserves some kind of response. How about the first water-borne flash mob? La Jolla Kayakers assemble a flotilla at given time and spell out "LOWRANCE SUCKS" Send the aerial photo to Lowrance courtesy of "my fishing buddies". Would get mainstream press coverage if this was actually organize.d

Anyways, I'll be looking for something that can interface with the transducer included in the new PA 12, which is Lowrance. Is it possible to connect another brand to this hardware? Thanks.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #56
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnall4u View Post
Just found out that Lowrance reps will be at Fish'n Marine Center tomorrow giving 2 seminars. Anyone going? I may try to go to question them about the missing La Jolla maps.

Edit : talked to the lowrance rep. He said for me to buy the Navionics Baja chip.
You shouldn't have to, you already paid for "Nautic Insight Mapping" which should give comprehensive cartography coverage of La Jolla and the entire coast and offshore.

I hate to say it but he gave you bad information, its typical though so don't feel too bad.
It was a brush off answer, but if you feel like spending $200+ for a chip give it a try and see what happens. (Although I already know the answer)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #57
bellcon

Since Hobie now seems to be in Bed with Lowrance
maybe they should be brought into the loop? I'm sure a company like Hobie would not be happy to hear that the product they have chosen to base some of their designs on have flaws.

I recently bought the Hds 5 Gen2 w/ Nautic insight for my new PA
I really did not buy it so I could see the contour lines, that's just not how I use my sonar for the most part.

But I agree, it is bad business to not deliver what your specs say you are plainly going to deliver.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #58
T-Rex

Well I went to WM yesterday to check out the Lowrance HDS 5 Gen2 w/ Nautic Insight on sale for $499 only to see that Lowrance still hasn't added the cartography for La Jolla. Looks like they were not really serious about fixing the problem. More of the newer units seem to be offered with Navionics Gold instead.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #59
TJones

I bought hds 5

Six months back from west marine with plus plan . I am bringing it back today . I just installed a 788ci di hummingbird (side imaging is overkill in my opinion). What I don't understand is why the hds 5 does not have d I for the money spent . And also if the hobbies are supposed to be lowrance ready , why the d I trans does not fit . Why didn't hobie make the bay a little bigger. Anyone have any input on this ? Correct me if wrong . The 788 trans mounts up in bay with adapter kit they sell. This unit might be just about the most powerful without any install issues, unless I am missing something .please give me some feedback . I still have a perfectly good 898 si head unit for sale . I will let it go for cheap . I was thinking around 500.

Last edited by TJones; 12-01-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Texting typo
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote