Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2024, 08:25 PM   #1
Salty

Cabrillo 3/28/24

Been traveling a lot for work lately. Finally back home, so I took off Thursday last week since that looked like the best weather window to hit the water. Met with my buddy Dan(Lost Horizon Fishing) at the beach parking lot at 5:30am. Loaded up and launched just before the sun came up. Surf was a little bigger than expected so I got pretty soaked punching through a couple breaking waves. Normally not a big deal, but the water temp was 53 degrees, so that was a nice shock to the system since I was just wearing boardshorts and a shirt. I knew I'd get wet on the launch so I had dry clothes stored in a drybag in the hull.

Wind was forecast to be pretty light up until about noon. But the wind was on it by 7am and got stronger through the morning. We stuck it out still and trolled/jigged up around the corner then fished the kelp a little. Bad wind and chop made it difficult, but we both managed to get a few. Dan got a handful of Calico. I got a total of 2 Calico and 4 Sandies. Biggest for me was the first Calico on the troll at 17".

Wind was howling and seas were white-capping so we called it a day a little early. We were back on the sand by 11am. Landing was uneventful, but it seems the recent storms have washed out a lot of the sand on that beach at the high-tide line, so there were a lot more exposed rocks and cobblestones than usual. Had to find a little gap of sand to aim for when landing so I didn't mess up my hull.

Was it the best day of fishing? Nope. Was it better that sitting in another airport waiting for a delayed plane? Absolutely! I know it's not an amazing fishing report, but I figure something is better than nothing.
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:49 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Good to see you at it again Salty! Its nostalgia for me to see photos of that area -- thanks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 03:43 PM   #3
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Good to see you at it again Salty! Its nostalgia for me to see photos of that area -- thanks.
Happy to keep the reports coming, even if it's just for nostalgia's sake! haha
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote