Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
carbonbass

Waders ?

Can someone recommend what kind of waders they use that are breathable but keep you dry during yak fishin?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
45user

Jus ordered LL bean flyweight and redington palix river. I ended up returning the LL bean. For the price redington palix river was pretty good, looks more durable and made with DWR fabric. Also fit was true to measure and fit me better than LL bean. Yet to test on the water but seems to be well made. Kittery trading post is having a 15% off sale with free shipping.
Hope that helped.
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Dannowar

Caddis from sport chalet.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Lipripper92592

I have some redingtons and they are pretty tuff. I buried a nice treble in the lower leg while wrestling a halibut and just a tiny puncture made it through, dab of aquaseal and good as new. I went with Redingtons because of price and the size availability, I'm tall and skinny so the medium tall fits perfect, no wedgies when bending over.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Matar
I am just me.

Hodgeman and i got the pants not the bibs
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
fisher_4_life

I ended up buying the Caddis Deluxe Breathable waders and really like them. I order mine online from Sports Authority. They currently have a deal where you get 20% off your order and free shipping over $75. Hope this helps in your decision.
fisher_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
roadx

Hodgemen Guidelite with ZIPPER
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
fishingfiend

Check out the Kokakat Tempest Pants with socks as an alternative to traditional waders. I just recently got these and love it! They also have a version with a relief zipper.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
Check out the Kokakat Tempest Pants with socks as an alternative to traditional waders. I just recently got these and love it! They also have a version with a relief zipper.
I was given some Kokotat waders by a BWE member a few months ago, they're awesome waders! They say the best things in life are free but after using these for a few months I can honestly say that these waders are something I'd be more than happy to pay for.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
roadx

are you a beer drinker?? there is one thing paramount! ZIPPER
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
Hodgemen Guidelite with ZIPPER
I own these and they are just awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matar View Post
Hodgeman and i got the pants not the bibs
Own these as well and have used them the most. More versatile especially in warmer weather, because the are easy to take on and off on the yak. You want to wear a good drytop with them when launching though to keep water out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I was given some Kokotat waders by a BWE member a few months ago, they're awesome waders!
I love Kokotat gear. I have several of their tops, no pants but, I have a Kokatat Meridian suit that I use for hooping, and really cold weather trips.

It's an unbelievable piece of quality gear.

Kokatat is the best you can buy, that's why people use them all over the world in extreme conditions.

I recommend all the above. I bought all my stuf online used but it's all been great gear.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
driftwood

I own one of these and i just love it! really keeps me dry.

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
Dannowar

Lol
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post

LOL we were not talking about DEPENDS
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #15
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post

Is that a 'poop box' ?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
LOL we were not talking about DEPENDS
I may be getting older but I don't need diapers, or a portable air supply...

Nothing beats a full suit for staying warm and dry, and Kokatats really are the best. People think it's overkill but it's not. Your actually wearing less then with waders and a drytop, it's far lighter and more comfortable, and since it's all goretex it's not clammy or damp feeling.

It's also completely water tight and you can even swim in it.

One night a buddy and I were talking on the water about me wearing it at Redondo harbor. I said: "Watch this" took off my gloves hat and vest then jumped off my yak and swam across the channel and back. The only thing that got wet was my head and hands and since it traps in the air it's naturally buoyant so you really don't even need to wear a vest with it.

My only gripe and the reason I don't wear it all the time is that whatever you put under it your pretty much stuck with it.

I mean if you launch with a bunch of layers under it at 3:00am by 10:00am your hot and with that heavy waterproof divesuit zipper it's really hard to get on and off. I can do it but it's a hassle and it's not like a drytop where you can quickly pull it off and change what's under it.

Hooping it works because there's no sun to heat you up, and I tend to stay about the same temp all night long. I Just wear a 1 piece polar fleece liner under it and I'm good, where when I hooped with waders I had to pile on a lot more gear to stay warm.

There's a million ways to do this but if your really into hooping, or fishing in weather that's consistently cold you can't beat those suits. I love mine I couldn't imagine hooping with out it.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote