Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #41
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Hobie has stood by their products for my anyway.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #42
jimmyshark

Larry is right. The crew at Fastane Sailing has excellent customer service.
jimmyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #43
Billy V

I have a Hobie Adventure and it works well at La Jolla. The kayak slices through waves, and swell with ease with its 16 ft length.

Its low profile does not seem affected by wind.

It also paddles very good as it it only 27.5" wide.

The turbo fins are tunable, so you can set them to have a heavier peddle that will give you a slower cadence. I have mine set to give a 3.5 mph speed at a very low peddle rpm.

The peddle length is adjustable, and I frequently adjust mine to work different leg muscles.

The only issue I have with the Adventure is fish storage. The front hatch is way up front, and takes some practice to crack it open out in the open ocean but it can be done with a little patience.

Sometimes I mount a fish bag on the bow.

You can easily store a big fish in the rear well, provided you aren't carrying a bait tank back there.

The Revolution is easier to open the front hatch while out on the water. It is almost as fast as the Adventure, and it also paddles good @ 28.5" wide.

I would suggest giving them both a try, the Adventure and Revo.

Deck Layout (for reference)

I think I have the Fish Storage problem solved to a degree.

I'll let you know how it goes after I return looking like this.

Last edited by Billy V; 05-25-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #44
sdcityboy

I went to fastlane to drool over the yaks. told the salesman i really liked the idea of peddaling, but i liked the lay out of the malibu yaks better. he told me that any yak fisherman knows that the layout is just fine on hobies. i also asked him about people losing the mirage drives at la jolla. he said he had never heard of anyone losing a mirage drive.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #45
FISHIONADO

I used my Outback at La Jolla yesterday. The Outback kicks ass in calm water, not so much in rough conditions. I didn't care for launching and landing in close interval surf or bobbing around on the wind chop. I used the same GPS unit I use on my Prowler 15 to track my speed, I can sprint faster on my Prowler but the Outback would be slightly better for sustained speed over longer distances. I know the Adventure and Revolution are faster and better suited for open water, I'd like to try them sometime. My line got hung up on the rudder twice but easy to clear by lifting the rudder.

FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #46
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcityboy View Post
I went to fastlane to drool over the yaks. told the salesman i really liked the idea of peddaling, but i liked the lay out of the malibu yaks better. he told me that any yak fisherman knows that the layout is just fine on hobies. i also asked him about people losing the mirage drives at la jolla. he said he had never heard of anyone losing a mirage drive.
The guy you want to speak with at Fastlane is Morgan. He has fished all the Hobie's and can give you solid advice based on his actual testing of each kayak.

He is presently fishing a Revo, and has a similar set up as seen on my Adventure. The main difference being that his FF is mounted on the port gunnel where he can easily access it. (I prefer mine up front, and away from the sides)
Old 05-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #47
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcityboy View Post
I REALLY hate it when people are so bent on selling something to someone that they are dishonest, ignorant, or just plain stupid! If the product you are selling is good then you should not have to lie to the consumer!!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #48
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Dave, how do you like that new Garmin FF / GPSyou got going there?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #49
amsurferoceanbeach

What I know

Hobie has been very good to me. I got into kayak fishing because
of down time from a shoulder injury from surfing. Some freinds of mine
came back from the Fred Hall show with new Hobies. Cool, I can fish
and drink beer at the same time- Sold! 3 years later, I am a happy
camper.
I surf for a few days in a row and I hurt. I fish every day for a month,
some times morning to night and I am ready for more. Put in thousands of miles. Destroyed
a few yaks, broke a lot of miarge drive parts, and still I am very happy
with the Hobie.
Fish Storage
33, 30 lb yellowtail

30, 34 lb WSB, 25 lb Yellow tail 89 lbs in the front hatch. No prolblem.

33 lb Yellow Tail + beer

The front weight helps in the Adventure. This kraft was desinged for the open ocean.

I have been caught at Torry Pines with a heavy south to north current, with 25 to 35
miles an hour winds in my face. This is when I learned to pedal paddle. Life guards
where saving a lot of people this day. I said screw fishing and and put my head down.
I could not believe how fast I made it back to the shore launch. Someone came out of the restaurant and wanted to know what kind of motor I was using.
For the most part, my stroke on the mirage drive is only 3 inchs or so. You need little movement to push forward, and for the most part, fast is a moot point.
Ron and Debbie Lane have a lot of history with San Diego, the ocean and Mission bay. As far as a family ran business they are gold, and business people San Diego can be proud of.
On the same note Brent who owns this site and OEX has been nothing but helpfull
to me and a genuine nice guy. I have bought from his shop with great service.
If I could afford it I would have a large quiver of kayaks. Just like surfing, I
have always had a large range of boards from 6 ft to 10 ft boards and used every one for different conditions.
I have paddled my adventure for miles and miles just to get used to the paddle,
and if you get a Hobie you should definitively know your limits as far as having to paddle in open ocaen water. This is because all things mechanical can break.
I know I can paddle my adventure for miles with a fish to big to put in the hatch.
Always take your plug with you, and this makes it very easy to paddle.
I have freinds who say they can't stay out that long because of cramps.
With the mirage drive , your legs are at an angle that not only is comfortable ,
you are moving, and with the blood flow, you don't get cramps. This lets you stay
out a long time.
All things said, the people who fish and post this site have changed my life forever.
Thank you Paul
I release 90 % of the fish I catch. I fish for food.
If you have a problem consuming you WSB or Halibut,
I will clean and fillet for you for a small fillet charge.

Last edited by amsurferoceanbeach; 05-26-2008 at 04:02 AM.
amsurferoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #50
Billy V

Thats a heavy load right there....

I use a 55 gal. drum liner bag to contain the mess.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #51
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Billy,
Never mind the kayak! I like the KTM!!!!!!! Go KATOOM!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #52
FISHIONADO

Paul's Adventure is a freaking "Toad Hauler"! Nice photos.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #53
sdjiricek

Love mine but too expensive.

Have had my outback mirage hank parker edition for 2 years and love it. My only complaint was the price. They load you up with too much crap you don't need for open ocean fishing. I don't know if you can get the pedal vesion in a pared down form. I really wish now that I had had that choice. If I had the choice to buy the Yak with only the pedals and padle I would have taken it. I would have bought a better seat. Forgone the drybag, cooler and anchor. Installed a bigger center hatch and otherwise spent my saved money on tube holders and a fishfinder. Don't get me started on the kayak dolly that came with it. It broke on the second outing. One of the cheap plastic hubs just disintegrated. I had to go to harbor freight tools and buy pneumatics to retrofit the frame. Other than the pedal system I would guess the dolly is the second most expensive addon to the yak. If you can buy a pared down version then skip the dolly and make one out of PVC and $5 pneumatic tires. Other than that it's stable and quick in open water but handles like a pig in the surf.
fishon

Last edited by sdjiricek; 05-26-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
sdjiricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #54
Joe11

Ever since I bought my Hobie Adventure, my Wilderness Systems Tarpon is on the storage rack for guests. I am 6' 2" 225 plenty of leg room. Have a short leash on my mirage drive so Davy Jones does not end up with it when I take it out to get into the kelp. I use the Turbos adjusted tight for top end speed. Have the sailing rudder which is great to adjust your drift. Don't need to bother with a drift chute anymore either. That hex nut backing out...solved with some blue thread blocker and silicone sealant.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #55
sdcityboy

OK,OK, already. u hobie guys sure like your yaks! i think i need to go test ride one tomorrow! hope i can find something used.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #56
lamb

Paul, now that's about the best kayak review I have ever read!

If that doesn't sell you on Hobie, I don't know what will!

I WONNA ORANGE HOBIE JUST LIKE PAUL's!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #57
savage

go see Nate at oex in oceanside great guy and knows alot.
savage is offline   Reply With Quote