Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
carbonbass

Scupper hole mount transducer?

Anyone ever used one of these? Just curious if they are efficient, and if they actually provide better sonar due to not having to go through hull?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
Anyone ever used one of these? Just curious if they are efficient, and if they actually provide better sonar due to not having to go through hull?
I have used them on my trident 15. They work great with only one downside, it takes longer to drain the deck if you get soaked while launching.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
YakMedic

You also have to be more careful with the yak not to hit the transducer loading the boat. Plus no rock bottom beach launches.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
HELLSTER INC.

Have not had one problem with mine! http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=14968
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Lipripper92592

I have one hooked up to a DSI transducer and it fits pretty well. Didn't use the star shaped neoprene washer as it pushed the transducer past the hull. Pretty pricey for a bit of plastic, but its pretty hard to make a custom mount because of the need to fabricate the fingers to fit in the groove on the ducer.

IMG_0567 by lipripper1, on Flickr

IMG_0568 by lipripper1, on Flickr
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
danjor

I'm thinking about using one of these for the Lowrance structure scan transducer when I get the money to pick it up.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
sasha

I used a valcro to hold the transducer under the kayak. Ran the wires thru the scraper. There is maybe a 1/16 or 1/8of in inch of it sticking out from the channel. Not even close to make contact with the sand on landing. Real easy to take off and put back on. Spend all day on the water with no problems what so ever.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
From the Hobie site.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=26&t=41782

"I am looking at going through the scupper holes on my PA. I was looking at the Lowrance scupper mount. Until I noticed that all it is is a modified sprinkler head. I had several extra Toro sprinkler heads in my garage and they are the same. Just a little modification. So before you spend $54 dollars on the the lowrance mount. take a look at the $1.50 sprinkler. Fits right in the scupper whole."
I have mine set up this way. works great, I placed it in the tankwell scuppers so when I land on the beach it does drag the transducer on the sand.

try this if you cant find the sprinkler head.

http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...son-kayak-cuda

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
smithers

Scupper mount transducer

Just a heads-up: I bought the Lowrance scupper mount transducer kit.
It doesn't fit the 50/200 Khz transducer. I forget the other frequency HDS transducer comes in but if you have the 50/200, forget about the kit.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

Love mine, improved clarity on my P.O.S. X-4 but Lowrance needs to cut the price in half and O.K. needs to re-think thier "ducer" cut out design.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
yaky yak

I have an ocean kayak endeavor and it has a spot for a transducer on one of the rear scrubber holes. I used the transducer that came with my humming bird FF, I ground off all the brackets and sanded the top flat. I removed a lot of plastic and it works fine. I epoxied it in the recessed hole. It's almost even with the bottom of the yak.
I want to up grade my fish finder, Im not sure how I'll get the old transducer out is the only problem. The scrubber hole is still functional with the way I have it mounted.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote