Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
elriraikn
Junior

Ventura

Just picked up my first kayak off craigslist on friday afternoon, soooo stoked; cobra murauder w/ a humminbird 345c.

Took it out friday afternoon without any gear to try out the whole surf launch thing which proved to be easier than expected. Cruised around the kelp at solimar for a couple hours just before sunset to see if I could figure out the fishfinder. Images on the screen looked nice....just not sure what im looking at.

Decided I would try for some fish saturday morning but with my seriously lacking quiver of rods and limited know-how i wasn't sure where to start. Decided that my best option would be to take my beach fishing set up and toss some different colored plastics. Paddled out from solimar again, went between the clump of houses and faria on the outside of the kelp. Threw a few different bh swimbaits for a few hours to no avail. Had a few boats come and go within the time i was there; maybe they knew something i didnt. About halfway in to the beach the fishfinder went purple. It was still working but the image it was showing was as if the water was 2 inches deep and the band of colors was all purple and taking up the whole screen. Decided to turn it off and when i got in to the beach it seemed as if some water got in to the quick disconnect. Not sure if this had anything to do with the problem, maybe someone can let me know whats going on/ had a similar problem.

Anyways, as a long time beach fisher, im stoked to have gained access to new fishing horizons and look forward to seeing some of you on the water.
elriraikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
gear junkie

Welcome fellow Venturian.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Cyn

Congrats! I just joined the ranks myself. Ddwine was gracious enough to sell me his Hobie. Looking forward to my first outing tonight in Alamitos Bay. Definitely an easy launch, totally planning to fish.
Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Sully1

Sounds like you are hooked already.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
cesar74

Welcome to BWE.
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

North side Navy scores a few more welcome one and all....
Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
smithers

Welcome

Hey there.

I went to that same area on my first outing last year days after getting my kayak.

Some nice kelp around there. Hoping to get out there early in weeks to come aiming for WSB.

Swimbaits are fun, but I think you will have more luck with either frozen squid on circle hook dropper loop, or live bait caught with a sabiki. Catching the bait can be hard depending on how thick the smelt are (though I have heard a smaller smelt is not bad halibut bait.

I might be poking around there Sunday, maybe targeting halibut outside kelp line... I had some really close encounters with whales last summer. This year I have the go pro in case they rock my kayak again heh.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
quilicaw
The Professor

In Ventura?

Are you in Ventura? If so, we should get some people together and go
quilicaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
elriraikn
Junior

Always down to go, but a dui is preventing it from happening as often as I would like. Send me a pm when you are planning on heading out and ill see what I can do, otherwise for those of you with room to spare, I got gas money and beer.
elriraikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
gear junkie

In ventura, always down to go fishing.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I'm also new to kayak fishing, been fishing the surf and pretty much every other body of water forever. I'm interested in heading out wherever and whenever with somebody if you're interested, just let me know. I have a Wilderness Tarpon 130T I bought off Craigslist for $300 so it's no speed-racer but it's stable and I'm fit enough to get it moving pretty well, I shouldn't be much of a bother to tag along, if at all.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
smithers

Tomorrow

I'm planning on going out tomorrow to fish the kelp S. of Rincon. Swell and wind conditions set to be very nice.

Dreaming of a white sea bass.

Would be happy to release some calico maybe eat one for dinner.

Will post a report if I see anything interesting.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
cesar74

Deep hole

Going out to county line. I'll be peddling a dried chihuahua terd ( Hobie sport) dark 30. Ill be looking for squid and then fishing the kelp. Channel 68.
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
smithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar74 View Post
Going out to county line. I'll be peddling a dried chihuahua terd ( Hobie sport) dark 30. Ill be looking for squid and then fishing the kelp. Channel 68.
So did you find any squid out there?
I haven't made squid from the kayak yet not sure how deep etc. I should be looking around here or even that I'd identify it on the fish finder.

Any tips (I've got some good candycatcher jigs but no lights) that would help me find the squid when I get out this year for WSB much appreciated.

Oh, and I flaked on myself Saturday. Great conditions but I hung around with the family instead, so no report from my end.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
mtnbykr2

you all make sure to pm me me when you are going out, I am in Newbury Park
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
FLORIDA BOY!

Welcome!

Welcome to your new addiction! Once I left the beach and jetty's I rarely go back to fish them. I'll be camping @ El Capitan in July and will be fishing some of the areas.
FLORIDA BOY! is offline   Reply With Quote