Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
jorluivil

La Jolla Sunday

Planing on heading out there Sunday. I might be riding solo so I could use some pointers on parking, launching and making bait. I was planning on getting out there before sunrise just to beat the crowds. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to expect?
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
92yj

there will be a handfull of us out there on Sunday......we will be hitting the water around 6am...i will be in a yellow p-15 and my bro in a white scrambler, also will be driving a white f-150. say hay.
92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
WahooUSMA

It was busy this morning. It looked like there were 100+ PB's out there!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
CurtyL

It was the busiest I have EVER seen it. And it was also among the deadest days too. PLenty of bait. Saw some cuda's aken early. Heard about one YT at 5AM and some WSB earlier than that. Skunked.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
It was busy this morning. It looked like there were 100+ PB's out there!
First time out today and I was amazed at the number of PB's and yaks out there. I heard one guy on a PB get one (not sure what kind but he screamed YEAAAH, I GOT ONE!!! then yelled in response to "what size" that it was 20 - 25#). My buddy and I got the skunk and I got my first spill coming in on half foot waves

To the OP: Launch is pretty straight forward, just pick your interval, stay straight and paddle through the surf. Paddle out past the yellow buoys and drop your sabiki. You'll know if you're on the bait or not. My first drop yielded 3 Rock fish so I moved 50 yards out and it was easy pickings. Now, as for where to catch fish in LJ, well, there are no fish in LJ!

Highlight of the day was being surrounded by 20+ dolphins during a feeding frenzy. They were zipping right under me, belly up, and jumping within a few feet.

Good luck out there.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtyL View Post
It was the busiest I have EVER seen it. And it was also among the deadest days too. PLenty of bait. Saw some cuda's aken early. Heard about one YT at 5AM and some WSB earlier than that. Skunked.
We went out Friday night at 10 Pm with a boat and headed to the squid grounds and returned Saturday afternoon.
When we got to Lj there were already 50+ boats on anchor, shoulder to shoulder.
By 3 am it looked like Sea World's Parking Lot on 4th of July
The radar looked like it was marking the Inlet!

Some nuckleheads did not even have anchor lights on. It was a dangerous condition.
-Being a kayaker I was looking closely for kayaks in the water, but I have got to tell you - Its not easy to see you, so be aware.
Even the guys with good lighting are hard to see until you are right on top of them
The best visibility came from guys with the flashing LED head lamps.
Bring a small powerful flashlight to shine On anyone who is approaching You.

Lots of pressure - I'd advise to wait the weekend warriors out and resume Monday - Friday.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

LOL.....you want to beat the crowds hahahahah.......If you want to beat the crowds launch at 11:00 am and come back at 4:00pm, only problem with that is the fish are on ciesta also. in all seriousness, pull up, drop your gear off, try and park close, get back STRAP YOUR GEAR DOWN WITH LEASHES, paddle out, jig up squid in 80-90 ft of water, pin one on to a 2/0 ringed nautilus hook with a sliding egg sinker straight to the hook drift in 75-80 ft of water and repeat untill you get towed around and your arms start to burn.....then give up and call it a day......just kiddn' have fun out there.
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
Surfdad
Junior

That was a freaking zoo yesterday and the tournament didn't help. No kidding about PBer's not being able to see you. I was slow trolling a mack after giving up on the squid grounds around 11am outside kelp and almost got taken out...

Amazingly enough, I guess I was the only kayak they saw all morning as they came up directly behind me FROM THE ARMADA and yelled out to eachother "it's a kayak" before swerving to my left...? 4 rods, blue yak, bright jacket and your in a 20' boat and you can't see me an hour before noon...Wow! They did apologize but wtf!

Watch your back on the weekends my brothers......
Surfdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
bigbarrels

The best visibility came from guys with the flashing LED head lamps.
Bring a small powerful flashlight to shine On anyone who is approaching You.

Lots of pressure - I'd advise to wait the weekend warriors out and resume Monday - Friday.[/QUOTE]

Three great pieces of Advice
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
jorluivil

Wasn't able to make it to LJ so I settled for Cabrillo. Launched around 7am in little to no wave action. Settled for two Cali's, one short and a 15incher, also got two short bites. The Cali's were chasing bait all over the place, got to see a few boils but no love on the plastics.

When I was getting ready to land I sat a few feet from where waves were cresting waiting for the lull. I wasn't paying to much attention to what was behind me, I look back and there's a wave building about 50' behind me....I paddled my *ss off and managed to get out far enough, wave crashed in the area where I was siting around waiting. Once the action died down I paddled in with no issues. I had no plans on staying late so I was back on the beach by 1000.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
old_rookie

Looks like Monday mornings are the time to go...

snagged a pic of just beach and water - can't upload the pic
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote