Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Oolie
Headshots Only

Before Launching at LJ

Make sure if you're going on the sand that you have 4WD.

i have a small midsize car, lowered with very little travel in my suspension, even slick summer tires but i have AWD, so i have no problems.

i usually end up stuck behind people with large trucks, which have high profile, knobbly tires, and are digging themselves into the sand.

don't be a tool, if there's any doubt if you're gonna get stuck or not, pull over to the 15 minute loading zone adjacent to the launch ramp and unload there.

i know that most of the people doing this are not members of this board, i'm making this notice so there's no hassle for anyone who frequents these boards and is planning a trip to LJ.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
i usually end up stuck behind people with large trucks, which have high profile, knobbly tires, and are digging themselves into the sand.
Again, I am sure it is no one on this board, but as I was pulling up to the launch the other day, some dude in a monster truck was barreling off the sand at no joke like 20 miles an hour. That kind of s@%t will get that launch closed so fast its not funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
don't be a tool
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
dniss

Heads up

When I had to split the launch last week, the sand was so chewed up on the exit side that even one of the rental companies with 4wd went out the entrance. I asked the lifeguard supervising if I could do the same, since the sand was much more packed there. He was cool about it and let me, but said they were thinking of making it 4wd access only due to the number of people getting stuck there. I told him it probably wasn't the fisherfolk, and he agreed. Perhaps we could be proactive about creating a rollup ramp out of a dozen milk crates and zip ties cut up and assembled like some of the personal anti-stuck devices I've seen on this board. I can't afford a new truck just to be allowed access to the launch, and though I haven't been mired yet, I've come close.
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The first time some tourist or worse, some unsupervised kid gets hit by someone driving unsafely in the launch area, we are doomed. I agree that we should be proactive and try to work with the Lifeguards and police to come up with a plan that solves the problem before it gets out of hand.

I have some contacts within the Lifeguards and would be happy to serve as the front guy. Lets put our heads together and see if we can come up with some ideas that will nip this in the bud.

Here is one. I hate the idea of more regulations but what about a $15 annual launch permit. To get one you have to read and agree to follow the rules. The money could be used for launch maintenance, including some sort of sand stabilization.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
tony

No good deed goes unpunished........
Be proactive and try to work with the lifeguards and police but I wouldnt give the city any new ideas about collecting money.
Chances are good intentions would backfire and the $$ would go to protecting the seals or something screwy like that.....
Plus 15 would turn into 25 which would turn into 45 etc...etc.....
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
CurtyL

This is very simple: rule number one of sand driving: if you feel like you are loosing traction take your foot off the gas for a second and let the vehicle roll, but not to a stop. when you reapply it pretend like you have an egg btwn you and the pedal. ease over the soft spot vs. dig into it. works every time. the last two weeks I have seen douchebags in jacked up 4wds spin the whole top packed suface apart (of the exit lane) because they panic and floor it when their rig settles down a bit. the result is they chew up the sand and make it harder for hemselves and everyone else to get out (by the way - using the incoming lane on the way out seems to be alot firmer since the douchebags ruined the exit lane for now). BTW Oolie, I'm a huge fan of your s back several years to hte SD Fishboards. Dude is alright and knows his sheeite..
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
m1k3midg3

i made an account just so i could be a part of this thread. I have a front wheel drive mini van which makes it a pain in the @$$ to drive through the soft sand that gets kicked up. i think some sheets of ply wood would solve the problem
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
CurtyL

either that or guys in F150's who knew how to drive on sand. not bagging on F150 guys here per se.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
Whizz Bang

Hmm

4WD only would be great, just think how ripped Josh would get dragging all that fish down the street...
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Dean Machine

I seem to recall someone saying "if you think you might get stuck, don't drive on the sand". Pretty simple. Don't blame it on someone else when you are the one getting stuck in the sand. Yeah, guys should not be tearing up the launch, that I agree with but not every one really knows how to drive carefully on sand. There is an alternative. Park and wheel your yak to the beach.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
No good deed goes unpunished........
Be proactive and try to work with the lifeguards and police but I wouldnt give the city any new ideas about collecting money.
Chances are good intentions would backfire and the $$ would go to protecting the seals or something screwy like that.....
Plus 15 would turn into 25 which would turn into 45 etc...etc.....
Good point on the fees but the City is broke and cannot do anything to improve the launch without a funding source. In my view, the bigger problems are the inexperienced drivers and yahoos who drive irresponsibly. Few come from the kayak fishing family I am sure but when the fit hits the sham, we will bear the punishment along with the real offenders.

Bob
Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

My diesel loves to cruise 2 mph while making the sand softer. I have already pulled 3 people out this year. For an extra $5 I'll even pull your bumper off!!

Some tips if you get stuck and I'm not there to resue you...
AIR DOWN!!!!!
TILL THEY ARE NICE AND SQUISHY
TIRES STRAIGHT!!!!
AND KEEP YOUR CIVICS OFF THE BEACH
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
FARRIER

I believe everyone has a pretty valid point of view here. Part of the problem is that people think that the launch is a right and not a privilege; and that the sand magically fixes it self day after day. Maybe we could band together and make it a point to educate people. Most of these people probably just don't realize they are being rude and dangerous. Although it is a fine line when when criticizing people. Thick skin is in short supply these days.
FARRIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
My diesel loves to cruise 2 mph while making the sand softer. I have already pulled 3 people out this year. For an extra $5 I'll even pull your bumper off!!

Some tips if you get stuck and I'm not there to resue you...
AIR DOWN!!!!!
TILL THEY ARE NICE AND SQUISHY
TIRES STRAIGHT!!!!
AND KEEP YOUR CIVICS OFF THE BEACH
So Eric,

Are you able to write off all your fishing gear as a business expense as you troll the launch for customers? The deduction seems reasonable to me?

Bob
Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
cowboybill

I was almost stuck last monday!

I came in later afternoon, july 5th, tide was high, which makes it more cramped, and it was a zoo!!

I have a ford F250 2WD, with semi-off road tires, but they must have had over 60psi in them....

The 15 min zone was full...I had a run, but some people walked right accross my line, and I had to turn tighter than I would like...chatter, chatter, dig, STOP! I was in the real soft stuff right next to the barriers...I was thinking, I wonder if anyone is watching me on the launch camera..

I did the old desert trick of airing down till the side walls on the tire bulge...Some real cute blond walked up and said "your letting air out?!?!?"
I said I was an expert at this! (BTW, if you do this, air down the front too even with 2WD, as the fronts will "float" better..) Also, get air asap!!!

Anyways, I walked right out, but it was a Madhouse!! People all over, children, all the rental traffic...

Next time I am going to time the low tide (more room to manuver)

And bring my wheels!!

Anyways, old carpet works good, but looks like crap.. I saw steel ramps at the steel shop, but they are'nt giving that away. I think if we all try and time the tide and crowds, and use a little common sense, we should be OK.

Cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
FISHIONADO

you guys are trying to kill one of my favorite spectator sports. next you will want to kill my top favorite by limiting rental yakkers on big swell days.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
m1k3midg3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
you guys are trying to kill one of my favorite spectator sports. next you will want to kill my top favorite by limiting rental yakkers on big swell days.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA i absolutely love watching rental kayakers flip in the surf
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
So Eric,

Are you able to write off all your fishing gear as a business expense as you troll the launch for customers? The deduction seems reasonable to me?

Bob
Sure do Bob, thats a big write off for me. If only more people got stuck I could do some more fishing
Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #19
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Machine View Post
I seem to recall someone saying "if you think you might get stuck, don't drive on the sand". Pretty simple. Don't blame it on someone else when you are the one getting stuck in the sand. Yeah, guys should not be tearing up the launch, that I agree with but not every one really knows how to drive carefully on sand. There is an alternative. Park and wheel your yak to the beach.
QFT
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
CurtyL

I love waching anyone flip in the surf. two weekends ago was hilarity par excellence!