Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #41
Fiskadoro

I like this article even better:

http://nationalreport.net/breaking-f...es-ocean-boil/

"Almost two hours after today’s incident what’s being called the “Fukushima Plume of Death” is rapidly bearing down on Hawaii. It’s estimated once Hawaii is hit California will be hit about 90 minutes after."

Yes indeed a radiation plume that can move from Hawaii to California in just 90 minutes !!!!!!!!

Roughly 2500 miles. That's faster then the speed of sound

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 08-31-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #42
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

This is worth a read. I don't buy much into sources such as these, but this concerns us all. If anyone has further insight, please share.

http://www.themindunleashed.org/2013...of-eating.html .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post

I like this article even better:

http://nationalreport.net/breaking-f...es-ocean-boil/ .......

anyone with much of an analytical mind at all, can quickly decipher that the BullSh!t presented in these 2 articles above (and the MANY similar others in existence these days) from the numerous "the sky is falling/the world is ending" type websites, is mostly all complete nonsense.

BUT in contrast, when evaluating both numerous prior and especially RECENT articles, from more mainstream sources such as BOTH FOX (Conservative) & CNN (Liberal), like these 2 articles below....

Radiation readings spike at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09...nuclear-plant/

Why Fukushima is worse than you think:

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....han-you-think/

and also considering this FACT, which has been reported by MANY prior articles.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post

....2-1/2 years AND COUNTING, of CONTINUAL leaking radioactive water, flowing out of the reactor site....

....MORE radioactive contamination is CONTINUALLY leaking out into Pacific waters EVERY DAY, with no definitive end in sight....

(impossible to predict exactly what issues may evolve in future, and it will likely be many years before all is known here, but there is certainly a potential health threat going on here)....

then IMHO - all the people who still try to rant & rave & deny that there is any possible chance, that there is any possible significant health risk factors, for the people of the U.S. Pacific West Coast, must surely be CLOSE relatives of these guys below....

just saying !!

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #43
Fiskadoro

Quote:
BUT in contrast, when evaluating both numerous prior and especially RECENT articles, from more mainstream sources such as BOTH FOX (Conservative) & CNN (Liberal), like these 2 articles below....http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09...nuclear-plant/
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....han-you-think/
and also considering this FACT, which has been reported by MANY prior articles......

What "FACT" or facts.

I already know what those two articles say because I've already read both of them, but let me paraphrase them:

Fox...

Radiation levels in holding tanks of contaminated water at the plant has increased, and they've detected some leaks in the plumbing.
The plant suffered meltdown after the massive earthquake, as a result the reactors are broken and have to be cooled with water, that said they are trying contain the waste. There has been some leaching of ground water, and a recent spill 300-ton (300,000-liter, 80,000-gallon) was the worst release of radioactive water since the crisis began. Authorities say they can't fully stop contaminated water leaks right away, water is still leaking in to the sea, but Scientists have said that contamination tends to be carried by a southward current and gets largely diluted as it spreads out into the sea.

That's a pretty simple assessment but I'll point out the obvious.... the FACTS they present are pretty much in line with what I said, and they are not talking about radioactive fish on this side of the Pacific.

CNN (actually a CNN opinion blog)

Toyoshi Fuketa a radiation expert says they've been careless at the plant, he mentions the recent spill, and says contaminated water is still reaching the ocean.

He says the amount of radioactivity released in March 2011 was less then Chernobyl but in the the total amount of stored cooling water Est. 400,000 tons there is in fact 2.5 times the amount of radioactive cesium dispersed in Chernobyl back in 1986.

He overestimates it's size, as 160 Olympic swimming pools would be in truth be 440,000 tons.

He then explains since the radioactive fuel still needs to be cooled constantly they inject about 400 tons of this stored water into the reactors daily. The water is
recirculated from storage which he then for some reason increases estimates up in size to "600,000 tons of highly radioactive liquid" in the tanks.

He then says they are cooling the reactors using four kilometer long lines that were improvised after the emergency, that are not standard industry equipment, some of which are vinyl, or more likely PVC.

He then says the recent leak of 300 tons of radioactive water showed a frightening level of amateurism, and that soil around the tanks is contaminated.

He says the tank leak is just the latest in a long list of things are going fundamentally wrong at the site. He also says if the lost containment of their cooling water it would not only release radioactivity it could lead to another meltdown, and said the challenge of fixing these problems is pretty much unprecedented.

Better read, great stuff, I agree with his assessment 100% right down the line.

Between those two articles you can get a pretty good idea of whats going on.

The current amount of radiation that's been released is likely somewhere between a 10% to around 40% of what was released at Chernobyl. That said the cooling water they have been recirculating to cool the damaged reactors is..DUH!!... getting more and more contaminated with radiation all the time. Total loss of containment of that cooling water would not only release up to two and a half times as much as radiation as Chernobyl but it could also lead to another melt down.

The concern is since this cooling setup was improvised after the disaster it's not up to specs and it has been leaking. So authorities are concerned and want more oversight about what's being done and what could be done to eventually get this all under control.

Pretty simple huh!!!

Straight up nothing in either of those articles disagrees with anything I've posted in this thread. There is also absolutely nothing in either of them that suggests there are any potential radiation issues with locally caught game fish here in the United States.

You say this:

Quote:
IMHO - all the people who still try to rant & rave & deny that there is any possible chance, that there is any possible significant health risk factors, for the people of the U.S. Pacific West Coast, must surely be....
There is no basis for that. Yes there has been a big disaster, but it's not big enough to contaminate the whole Pacific. The Pacific is just too big. You have to weigh the amount of contamination released against the huge size of the Pacific and the numbers do not add up to what you suggest they could.

I mean sorry dude but there is nothing in either of those articles that backs up your rant. I'm not ranting, I'm laughing because this whole thing is so overblown and ridiculous. People that are making these wild contamination claims obviously either have no clue of the basic science, mechanics, or even the amount of water involved. I will admit that it's disappointing the some people believe it but you know people make this stuff intentionally to manipulate others, and people react to fear in often irrational ways.

Speaking of Chernobyl. Know anything about it's cooling setup? I actually know something about it because of the fish. Yes there are still fish in the cooling ponds at Chernobyl. I really like to catch big fish, so I've read up on it and right now the Chernobyl cooling ponds potentially hold some of the largest Wells Catfish in existence (over 500 pounds), due simply to the fact they are closed to fishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw0j9hcVtk8

Which brings me back to my whole point. There are people in this country that are intentionally over blowing potential risks to our fish, simply because they have an agenda, and don't want us fishing for them. Our fish are not like those in Chernobyl. Don't buy into this crap. Our fish are fine and when you consider the size of the Pacific and the actual amounts of radiation released in true perspective, barring some huge change that creates a much larger disaster our fish are going to be fine for the foreseeable future.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-01-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #44
RockyRaab

As long as we're characterizing by cartoon, here's the flip side:

RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #45
Aaron&Julie

I retract the blasé attitude I responded with earlier.

After reading the newsfeed from my MSN homepage, I'm now quite concerned. Here's the link to the article, and worth reading it all:

http://news.msn.com/world/radiation-readings-spike-at-fukushima-nuclear-plant

How those fricken' idiots used a meter that would only go up to 100 millisieverts per hour on Aug 22, which maxed out, so they reported the reading at 100. Those yahoos finally got a meter that would go much higher, up to 10,000 milisieverts, and yesterday, the actual reading was 18 times (1,800 milisieverts) what was reported 9 days earlier, enough to kill an exposed person in 4 hours. With this report, now I am concerned, and convinced those assholes over there don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Their ass is the one with their thumb stuck up in it.

Japan has also signaled it might dip into a $3.6 billion emergency reserve fund to help pay for the clean-up of a situation the chief cabinet secretary has described as "deplorable". After 2 years, what the hell are they waiting on? If this isn't an emergency of the highest magnitude, than they're even dumber than I gave them credit for.

The world needs to get involved.

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 09-02-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Stray characters removed, words and highlight added
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #46
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:

I'm not ranting,
OK, if u say so.....

Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #47
bubblehide

Jim, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them think.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #48
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Not sure that's true, sounds like it might be true, or maybe we should be concerned that in a unique set of circumstances it might appear to be true.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #49
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:

that statement can definitely go BOTH ways here, including with all those in "denial mode".

i stick with my prior concept on this topic. considering these FACTS below, which have been reported by MANY prior articles:

....2-1/2 years AND COUNTING, of CONTINUAL leaking radioactive water, flowing out of the reactor site....

....MORE radioactive contamination is CONTINUALLY leaking out into Pacific waters EVERY DAY, with no definitive end in sight....

.... no one YET knows for sure (in past years or present time) the EXACT rates of leaking, nor the EXACT contamination level of leaking water, nor the honesty or disclosure level of TEPCO reports, nor the capabilities of TEPCO to resolve problem anytime in foreseeable future....

As of now, it is impossible to predict exactly what issues may evolve in future, and it will likely be many years before all is known here. but there is certainly a POTENTIAL serious health threat going on here.

and thus, IMHO - all the people who still try to DENY that there is any possible chance, that there is any possible significant health risk factors, for the people of the U.S. Pacific West Coast, are merely in "denial" mode here. (sorta like an ostrich with their head in sand, or like a young child shaking their head saying na, na, na, na, na, na, na, when you are trying to talk to them.)

Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #50
bubblehide

Quote:
that statement can definitely go BOTH ways here, including with all those in "denial mode".

i stick with my prior concept on this topic. considering these FACTS below, which have been reported by MANY prior articles:

.... no one YET knows for sure (in past years or present time) the EXACT rates of leaking, nor the EXACT contamination level of leaking water, nor the honesty or disclosure level of TEPCO reports, nor the capabilities of TEPCO to resolve problem anytime in foreseeable future....

As of now, it is impossible to predict exactly what issues may evolve in future, and it will likely be many years before all is known here. but there is certainly a POTENTIAL serious health threat going on here.

and thus, IMHO - all the people who still try to DENY that there is any possible chance, that there is any possible significant health risk factors, for the people of the U.S. Pacific West Coast, are merely in "denial" mode here. (sorta like an ostrich with their head in sand, or like a young child shaking their head saying na, na, na, na, na, na, na, when you are trying to talk to them.)

Really, well since you brought it up, just how far down is your head, in the sand that is?

So in other words, your trying to say that the sky really is falling?

The fact here is that no one here has has disagreed with your above listed conclusions. What has been stated (and the facts fully support), is that your conclusion are so highly unlikely that they are utterly ridiculous. The scale/ratio of contaminant is like a meteorite in all of space; in the big picture, it is insignificant, in both a general and scientific terms.

Last edited by bubblehide; 09-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #51
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:

.....so in other words, your trying to say that the sky really is falling?
NOT only am I NOT SAYING THAT.
but i specifically said that was nonsense.

you either DIDN'T read prior posts, or can't understand what you read.

Quote:

anyone with much of an analytical mind at all, can quickly decipher that the BullSh!t presented in these 2 articles above (and the MANY similar others in existence these days) from the numerous "the sky is falling/the world is ending" type websites, is mostly all complete nonsense....

Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #52
bubblehide

Quote:
NOT only am I NOT SAYING THAT.
but i specifically said that was nonsense.

you either DIDN'T read prior posts, or can't understand what you read.

Dude, there is a term for the level of understanding of what one reads, it's called reading comprehension. 2 of the people you arguing with have excellent reading comprehension. So what is it that your actually trying to say, other than regressing to slinging insults?

Clearly, claiming that there is a potential significant health risk, is the same as claiming the sky is falling.

Last edited by bubblehide; 09-01-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #53
ful-rac
Emperor

Soo....when are the sea lions gonna start dropping dead...?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #54
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Soo....when are the sea lions gonna start dropping dead...?

Dude, don't you know, the sky is already falling.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #55
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Funny I wasn't going to bring it up but I'd say ignoring the scale of the pollution in comparison to the scale of the Pacific is absolutely a form of denial.

In fact you're ignoring the most important fact involved. The fact you can't see that may just show how deep your denial goes.

Say I told you that planets have been destroyed by the impact of asteroids, and meteors. Then stated that thousands of celestial bodies like meteors hit the Earth every day. Both are true and factual.

I supposed you could then say we are all in imminent danger. Then when others do not agree with you, claim that anyone who doesn't think so, that people who try to DENY that there is any possible chance, that there is any possible risk factors involving the possibility of a major meteor strike for the people of Earth, are all merely in "denial" mode.

That would ignore a significant issue, the scale of the things involved and the resulting probability of a major celestial catastrophic event in our lifetime.

I don't deny the facts involved with the spill. I just think your conclusions are biased and wrong because you ignore both scale and probability.

Could a particle of that radiation end up in a fish off our coast. Yes it could, but given the scale of the pollution spilled and the scale of the Pacific it's highly improbable, and not likely to happen.

Oh and I tend to find when people start saying things like everyone who doesn't agree with them is in denial, or they are like a young child shaking their head saying na, na, na, na, na, na, na, when you are trying to talk to them. Well I'd say that's someone who does not handle disagreement well, has a closed mind, and feels he has to belittle anyone who doesn't agree with them so they can then completely ignore any possible validity of their arguments.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #56
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Dude, don't you know, the sky is already falling.
Meteors are FALLING!!!!!! Hundreds EVERY DAY!!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #57
bubblehide

Quote:
Meteors are FALLING!!!!!! Hundreds EVERY DAY!!!!

It's the end of the world as we know it
Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #58
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Don't believe everything you read! Especially when it's not published in a peer reviewed scientific journal!

You guys are classic. Nice to see you are back in the game Hobie Pedaler.

Honestly, this is old news. I have been working directly to assist in the sampling and testing of muscle tissue from hundreds of bluefin tuna over the past few years. Some of the results are very cool, but like stated by many above not a heath concern.

Google: Fukushima, pacific bluefin tuna, migration, stable isotope, radiocesium

Or if you want to get really crazy try Google Scholar:

http://scholar.google.com/schhp?hl=en

Choose your sources wisely!

If you add Daniel Madigan to your google search you will find a few papers that discuss results from actual scientific analysis of muscle tissue from bluefin tuna sampled locally here in San Diego. I am currently working with Dan to continue sampling and analysis.

I can post links to a few recent PUBLISHED papers if there is interest. But like most scientific papers unless you do some background reading a lot of the paper will be hard to understand. That's why scientific results can be misconstrued so easily.

The internet is littered with blogs and news reports written by people who barely understand the subjects they're getting payed to write about.

Which is why it's important to think for yourself.

But the short version is below:

Fukushima Radiation in Migrating Bluefin Tuna Expected to Fall

Radioactive material found in bluefin tuna that swam or fed in waters off the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan is likely to decrease over time as the material dilutes in the ocean, scientists said.
A study of 15 Pacific bluefin caught off San Diego in August last year found levels of radioactive cesium 10 times higher than in fish caught in previous years and provide “unequivocal evidence” that the radiation came from Fukushima, researchers including Daniel Madigan and Nicholas Fisher said in a study published yesterday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Contamination levels, which the authors say are not a danger to public health, are likely to decline even though cesium has ‘biomagnification’ characteristics, meaning the concentration increases from prey fish to predators when cesium is consumed. That would be offset by the bluefin’s metabolism, which should excrete cesium at a rate of about 2 percent per day, Fisher wrote in an e-mail.
“Much will depend on the concentration in the prey fish, which in turn is ultimately dependent on the water concentration,” wrote Fisher, a professor at Stony Brook University in New York, in response to e-mail questions. “If concentrations in water will eventually decline, as we would expect, due to dilution and dispersion, then concentrations in living organisms will eventually decline as well.”

Last edited by dos ballenas; 09-02-2013 at 06:57 AM.
dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #59
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/05/22/1204859109

open the Full Text PDF and enjoy

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #60
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
OK to close the thread Now....

Everybody got to say what they believe...it will just be political fighting going forward...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote