Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
glenniesan

LJ 5/17 Report

Short:
No bait found!! S-L-O-W picked a couple sand dabs, and a vermillion(?) close into the end of the pier. Just as we were ending the day, drifting the beach to the N of the pier, the bass rod loaded up in the rod holder. Ended up with my first Leopard which was also my first sleigh-ride!

Loooong:
Hit the launch as the sun was waking up (0600ish). Quite a few folks rigging on the beach and pleanty more already on the water. Took a few to the chest as usual on the way out. Past the cans we couldn't bring up bait for s**t! Ended up my buddy went North a bit and managed a couple Spanish while I was dropping TJWs & Reebs in the potholes on the inside kelp for nill. Cove was a dead-zone, heard the same on the radio. We paddled outside a bit to give the critters a quick shot. Sat for a bit bouncing the Reebs for nothin - not so sure I was on the right spot since I'm fishing blind (no structure finder). Fog got thick vis down to 100' or so & I was glad I brought along the GPS (jic). Paddled back to the pier to do some drifting for the flat kind. Picked up two poptart model sand dabs and a vermillion (all released) on the clear/red-flake 5" reebs on 3/8 white lead. Moved up to the beach North of the pier. Water was dirty & pleanty of salad. Drifted 5" smelt FT on the c-rig tipped with a strip of Spanish. Just as we were winding down for the day and kind of relaxing/spacing out... from the corner of my eye I see the bass rod-tip almost in the water! It's ON!!! My first thought/fantasy was barn-door! No headshakes but she didn't want to come up so I was not sure who was on but it was a great fight and a nice little ride! Saw color several feet down but couldn't see what it was except it had some really decent length! I was stoked thinking maybe I have a random ghost here?! Finally get er up and saw my first Leopard Shark. We debated whether or not we'd take her which we decided to do since it was a first & definitely over 36". Bled on the water and paddled in to a FULL beach where the shark definitely got some attention. And of course... a PETA wanna be has to ask me just what I intended to do with the catch all judgemental like! What do you think I'm gonna do with it... I need a new belt you OK with that?! iced her on our way out (the shark ) She took her last swim in a nice marinade of milk, soy sauce & pepper. Grilled with fresh rosemary and cajun spice. Came out pretty nice although I will readily admit that the FOUL odor really turned me off and I will never take one again because of that. Bleeding/icing saved us from having BAD meat. Taped out 51" & 23# on the digi. Pics coming soon!
glenniesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
screaming reel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to screaming reel
It' s not just PETA who is wondering, so am I. Those are awesome fish and should be let go. I remember when I was on a private boat and we hooked a shark 5-6 feet. Yahoo thought it was a mako, good to eat right. Cut it up on the boat and out come its babbies, small perfect little sharks - bummer #1. Yahoo, after finding out it was not a mako tossed it into the dump - bummer #2.

I am glad you liked the shark, hope you eat it all.

Does anyone know where all the WSB are this year? Last May people were killin it!
screaming reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Mike McFann
Junior

Thank you for the report. Don't let the barbless fly and release for everything but what they happen to want to take home get you down.

Live and learn
Mike McFann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
sdcityboy

[quote=screaming reel;24464]It' s not just PETA who is wondering, so am I. Those are awesome fish and should be let go.
I am glad you liked the shark, hope you eat it all.
quote]

it's nice you have an opinion
Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
glenniesan

I have quickly come to realize that no matter what board one posts on, no matter what report one chooses to share with the public, there will always be folks out there who WILL have an unfavorable opinion. Not that I aim to offend anyone, but that's a risk I'm willing to take (by posting my report of a good day OTW). If somebody "wonders" about my fish-taking that's certainly within their right. Although in this thread I'm not sure I understand what there is to wonder about since I think I covered it. I will stand by any of my harvesting practices because I'm always responsible, legal, and respectful of our resources. AND I like to eat fish - I know unbelievable right?!

Last edited by glenniesan; 05-19-2008 at 04:24 PM.
glenniesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenniesan View Post
I have quickly come to realize that no matter what board one posts on, no matter what report one chooses to share with the public, there will always be folks out there who WILL have an unfavorable opinion. Not that I aim to offend anyone, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. If somebody "wonders" about my fish-taking that's certainly within their right. Although in this thread I'm not sure I understand what there is to wonder about since I think I covered it. I will stand by any of my harvesting practices because I'm always responsible, legal, and respectful of our resources. AND I like to eat fish - I know unbelievable right?!
Look out boys, we have another American here (rights ). Dude, I've never met you, but you basically summed up internet posting: high school/posting, damned if you do, damned if you don't attitude. Try dragging live bait on the bottom north of the pier without catching one of those the next few months(I dare you).
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Adam

A leopard shark! Shit, I'd guess one of the most under-utilized resources in the sea (at least in the eastern pacific). I don't think they have even bothered to work out a sustainable harvest plan for them. Diversifying our resource base is good - get em!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Leopard shark =

Tried some a few years back. Thought the texture was similar to blue shark
Old 05-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
dorado50

Don't forget to post pics, I've never seen a leopard out of the water.......Thanks
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
h2ofishfo

yeah dude i heard there not that great eating i think u kinda new too if u marinated it in milk . if u have 2 say " they taste great ! if u cook it right !" then there not that great of a meat period
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
Mark D.

WTG Glen, most of us are responsible anglers .If you choose to take a fish I dont see why anyone should have a problem with it as long as its legal. After all its not us newbies that have taken more than our share(not pointing my finger at anyone just stating a fact that because of actions of some in the past we will never get some of the chances others have abused). We tend to know not to abuse our resources, respect the ocean,and our fellow yakkers.Only taking what we will eat in a meal or two is something the older fishermen have taught us well .Protecting the resource is something we all need to practice but that doesnt mean we shouldnt be able to keep some. Just my opinion

"Bent rods to all"
just my opinion all
Mark D.
Mark D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:03 AM   #12
Dan

Great post. Don't sweat the haters. You're right.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
Matt
Support your local pangas

Leopards are a fun fish to catch and a good fight to say the least, eat it if you want to eat it!! Have fun fishing! I know a lot of people who have eaten Leopard and say it's all in how you prepare it, glad you had fun and enjoyed a meal or a few out of it!! Nice job!! The best fisherman on the water is the guy having the most fun!!

Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #14
steamroll

Thanks for the report. Enjoy your fish.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
lamb

Fun day, thanks for the report!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #16
yani

If you gonna keep a leopard, gut it
right away. Otherwise those heavy
metals stored in their livers contanimate
the meat with a heavy metal taste.

Yani

Old 05-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
herefishyfishy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post
If you gonna keep a leopard, gut it
right away. Otherwise those heavy
metals stored in their livers contanimate
the meat with a heavy metal taste.

Yani

I hate the heavy metal taste to....and cancer.

Evan
herefishyfishy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
yeah dude i heard there not that great eating i think u kinda new too if u marinated it in milk . if u have 2 say " they taste great ! if u cook it right !" then there not that great of a meat period
Forgive me if I go a little off-topic. Just about anybody can cook a loin or fillet. It takes a GOOD cook to make a good meal from a poor cut of meat or an undesirable species. I've heard many similar comments about bonito. As long as it is properly handled and skillfully prepared, bonito can be excellent. Those qualifiers in no way subtract from the end value of the fish. A poorly handled YT or albacore can easily become less palatable than a good bonito or even a leopard shark. Example: my wife baked some albacore that I caught (she doesn't get to cook my fish anymore). The quality of the meal is ultimately what determines the value of the fish; and for the most part, that is dependent on the cook.

FWIW: I will not buy commercially caught shark (or most other species, for that matter) and I wouldn't intentionally kill more than one a year. Its a touchy subject and there are many opinions. If you don't agree with taking sharks, you should probably take it up with the DFG; not with the angler who made a legal catch. All the time and effort put into these internet pissing contests would be better spent lobbying the DFG to alter size and take limits.